Triplets

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Momma that raised the twins 2 years ago has now had triplets . One dead , one weak, and one looks good so far . Got them in the garage under heat lamps and got colostrum on the way . Just in case they didn't get any . Cold , raw day and I've had surgery this week and am useless to help . All I can do is coach my son , daughter and son in law . Never fails

Wow! Never knew anyone that had a cow with triplets. She is a fertile myrtle!!
Did she have them on her own?
Yes , son was putting out hay cause I'm home bound. Saw a small calf trying to nurse a bigger calf . He called and described what calves he was seeing and I told him to find ole sad momma I call her . Cow has a long face and looks sad . He found her with the dead calf and the weak one . Strange but she looks like she doesn't have milk . Normally she looks like a Holstein . Maybe cause she calved early ? I think this dang drought has affected our cows .

Momma that raised the twins 2 years ago has now had triplets . One dead , one weak, and one looks good so far . Got them in the garage under heat lamps and got colostrum on the way . Just in case they didn't get any . Cold , raw day and I've had surgery this week and am useless to help . All I can do is coach my son , daughter and son in law . Never fails
Amazing you got two alive, IMO. Hope they both make it and do well.

Yes , son was putting out hay cause I'm home bound. Saw a small calf trying to nurse a bigger calf . He called and described what calves he was seeing and I told him to find ole sad momma I call her . Cow has a long face and looks sad . He found her with the dead calf and the weak one . Strange but she looks like she doesn't have milk . Normally she looks like a Holstein . Maybe cause she calved early ? I think this dang drought has affected our cows .
Would she not...or could she not...nurse the healthy calf?

Got a full round of colostrum/ electrolytes down the lively one and about a third down the weaker calf . We'll do again at bed time . I go back to the doctor in the morning . Can you believe a doctor sees patients on Saturdays ? If cow looks like she has milk we probably will give her the one back .

This is the 2nd case of triplets in cattle that I have heard of the actual story. I've heard of others with typically tragic results. The first case, all 3 survived. Wouldn't have been the case except the producers wife happened to be a nurse who happened to have two colleges visiting at the time of the birth. Between the 3 nurses, they were able to save all 3 calves. I'm glad you have been able to save two of the calves so far.

As for the cow that is having multiples per birth, I don't know if having an overly productive cow like that is a good thing or if she should be on the way to the sale barn. On the surface, producing 'two calves for the price of one', or in this case two and then three, seems to be a good thing. But multiples during a birth presents challenges for an animal that is designed to have singles. You just experienced some of those challenges with your triplets. Free martins are another concern if you are trying to retain heifers, but being a free martin has no effect at the sale barn when the animal is destined to be hamburger either.

Someone mentioned that multiples run in families. That would be on the cow's lineage, not the bull. Does in people too. I went to school with a family that had 7 children......3 sets of twins and one 'only' child. I kinda felt sorry for the only child.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Maybe the 2 will survive. My triplets turned 4 months old on Christmas. They are all good and eating hay and starter grain. I stiil have the bull calf in my back yard. Still bottle 2 times a day. Front legs are straight and strong. Too cold to put him to pasture right now. No hurry. Hope you heal well too.

Had a cow that had triplets last year, all bulls. The last one was coming backwards and by the time I got it out it was dead. I didn't do mouth to mouth but used just about every CPR/1st AID, AED trick I learned from my days as a trainer to no avail. Two survived, the mother was a good milker, and they did well.

Last edited:

Latest posts