Triplets

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear. Maybe the 2 will survive. My triplets turned 4 months old on Christmas. They are all good and eating hay and starter grain. I stiil have the bull calf in my back yard. Still bottle 2 times a day. Front legs are straight and strong. Too cold to put him to pasture right now. No hurry. Hope you heal well too.
@Eddy, your triplets aren't the ones I'm speaking of above, are they? You said the bull calf is in your back yard. If I follow what you just said to a logical conclusion, the other two are free martin heifers if my logic is sound. Am I correct?

One heifer and the bull calf look like twins. The latter heifer was red and brown. Vet says we will test when they get older. Tha

Both still alive this morning. # 1 , lively one turned out to be a heifer . Took a bottle no problem. #2 bull , weaker calf finally got bottle down . Son has gone to check cow to see if she has bagged up any . Temps are where it's probably better to keep them at the house and let them go visit mom for milk . May have to have sex identifying class with my crew . 😁

Both still alive this morning. # 1 , lively one turned out to be a heifer . Took a bottle no problem. #2 bull , weaker calf finally got bottle down . Son has gone to check cow to see if she has bagged up any . Temps are where it's probably better to keep them at the house and let them go visit mom for milk . May have to have sex identifying class with my crew . 😁
Great to hear!! Sometimes sex ed is missed LOL. I learned from my vet to never give up and just do all you know to do.

Coach I just checked in to CT today and saw this hope you're ok I didn't know you had surgery. You take care of yourself. Hopefully the multiple births aren't coming from the bull side. Are the cows giving you multiples older cows I have a theory that older cows start dropping multiple eggs no science behind it just an observation. Get well and good luck with the twins.

Still fighting the good fight with them . I'm able now to help give a bottle. Just can't pick them up . My dr appt went well this am .
Now, that is great to hear. I do know you wanted to take the leaf on this whole situation. Take care.

Coach I just checked in to CT today and saw this hope you're ok I didn't know you had surgery. You take care of yourself. Hopefully the multiple births aren't coming from the bull side. Are the cows giving you multiples older cows I have a theory that older cows start dropping multiple eggs no science behind it just an observation. Get well and good luck with the twins.
Thanks Mrs G , I know this momma is the culprit on the multiple births . That's 5 in 2 years ! She is 8-9 yrs old . Other cow is 4-5 yrs I'm not sure her breeding. She's lost a tag and I can't ID her till I catch her . What's puzzling us is neither has milk . First cow 0 , this momma might have some but not like she normally does . Poor condition from the drought is my only guess .

Thanks Mrs G , I know this momma is the culprit on the multiple births . That's 5 in 2 years ! She is 8-9 yrs old . Other cow I'm not sure . What's puzzling us is neither has milk . First cow 0 , this momma might have some but not like she normally does . Poor condition from the drought is my only guess .
I'm puzzled by the lack of milk too. Not that I know much about multiple births or the effects on the cow, since I always sold anything that had twins as fast as I could. But you'd think that the milk producing hormones would be increased. Ask a vet? We have some vets on the forum but I don't remember their names. Anyone want to tag them so they can respond?

On me ; Path report was all good , just on restriction for at least 2 weeks . That's driving me crazy ! Can't pick up anything more than 10lbs . Can't climb up and down out of the tractor to put out hay , can't feed my calves , and can't pick up these 2 babies .

I'm puzzled by the lack of milk too. Not that I know much about multiple births or the effects on the cow, since I always sold anything that had twins as fast as I could. But you'd think that the milk producing hormones would be increased. Ask a vet? We have some vets on the forum but I don't remember their names. Anyone want to tag them so they can respond?
She hasn't cleaned off yet either. My vet is out of pocket till Tuesday. I've got some rezflor ? Or one of the new antibiotics that I'll give her tomorrow or Monday. She is standing at the hay ring eating hay right now .

She hasn't cleaned off yet either. My vet is out of pocket till Tuesday. I've got some rezflor ? Or one of the new antibiotics that I'll give her tomorrow or Monday. She is standing at the hay ring eating hay right now .
Why are you considering antibiotics?
Its not rare for a cow not to clean for a few days with multiple births. It happens often enough that if i have one that hasn't cleaned i will check around for a second calf.

Do you keep lutalyse on hand? Or Oxytocin? Both will help with hormones to get the uterus to contract and help her to "clean". I don't worry about them not passing afterbirth for several days after a multiple birth like that.... and then if it isn't hot and smelly, a week or more is not the end of the world... If the cotyledons have not all released, it won't pass... her hormones will control some of that... Also oxytocin will help with milk let down so may help to stimulate her to start "making some milk"....

Why are you considering antibiotics?
Its not rare for a cow not to clean for a few days with multiple births. It happens often enough that if i have one that hasn't cleaned i will check around for a second calf.
Didn't know this , thanks for the heads up ! Old vet use to advise us to give antibiotics if a cow hadn't cleaned off after 48 hrs . Probably one of the reasons they don't want us dishing out antibiotics like we use to .
Do you keep lutalyse on hand? Or Oxytocin? Both will help with hormones to get the uterus to contract and help her to "clean". I don't worry about them not passing afterbirth for several days after a multiple birth like that.... and then if it isn't hot and smelly, a week or more is not the end of the world... If the cotyledons have not all released, it won't pass... her hormones will control some of that... Also oxytocin will help with milk let down so may help to stimulate her to start "making some milk"....
Thanks , didn't know about the cleaning off with multiple births . Don't have oxytocin, but will have to wait till Tuesday with the holiday.

Last edited:
Like to have eat me alive last night at bedtime, my bedtime not theirs . Heifer is really vigorous. Bull is getting stronger and his appetite is improving. Both hungry this morning. Going to take them back to momma this afternoon. Back in the 20's tonight plus rain so we'll bring them back to the house tonight. My wife is being real patient but she's not liking the mess in her carport. I also did baths this morning.

Latest posts