tring to figure out age of 3 calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
gingercows034.jpg
gingercows029.jpg
gingercows006.jpg

i have 3 cows i bought through a sale barn that im tring to figure out the age of. when i purchased the herford heifer named Rosie. she weighed 360 lbs bought her in sept. 09
the angus weight was 275 lbs i bought him with the herford sept/09 . the bigger one is charolias/angus bull named bubba his 3 yr old brother i estimate weight of 1400 lbs and looks like a tank. his mom was regestered charolias, dad was regestered angus bull . he was 5 mo old on 1/10 estimated his weight at the time to be 375 to 425 . now think he is about 650 or more
the younger charolias x with what I dont know kinda acidently bought her 2/20/10 helping a brother in law and sister get started in the biz . i bid on her thinking he wanted her but misunderstood him he didnt want her so she was mine lol. she is young i know cant even see her bag name of daisey was 350 lbs when purchased im sure they had her fed up tight . it was a time people were runing out of hay here when i bought her.
Question #1 is there a sure fire way to guess the age lol . or maybe get me close the herford and the charolias x both heifers
oh the angus im not to worried about i bought him to feed him out to butcher hince the name sirloin plan on butchering him in sept regardless of his exact weight or age . have to get it done before deer season . ill limit it to one question this time yall are lucky
If you can't tell my sister has them spoiled even has bubba drinking bottled water, yes from the bottle if they hear her in the yard they come to the gate and sirloin will moo till she either comes and pets him , talks to him or goes back inside . as you can see they dont look hungry do they ?

that was what i was looking for . how others do it . do they look good to you .
i have never raised any cows just chickens turkeys and goats.
I had vet give them there shots he thought they looked good but i had had them a few months when he saw them

B & C cattle co.":3p4oeyqw said:
i have never raised any cows

Just a small bit of advice - don't hand feed them. When those moma cow grow up and are 1,200 pounds and hungry and they think you have something in your hand, you will be mobbed. Pour the food in a trough at let them eat from that. A cow is just too big of an animal to train as a pet. They'll accidentally hurt you because of your size.

Other than that, good luck and have a great time!

my sister gives them treats out of a ice cream bucket. if you dont have the bucket they havent been any problem they let you pet standing next to them but i know what you are talking about if you are in the feild with the bucket they want to make sure its empty we only feed them the treat over the gate or fence we trough feed them and a few treats every couple days if it gets to be a problem we will do it diffrent there are only 2 of us that go in the pasture and we dont hand feed them but we will watch for any changes

I have been feeding out 4 beefs a year for about 3 years. I agree with Cypressfarms statement
A cow is just too big of an animal to train as a pet.

I told my wife that I read that we shouldn't pet the bull calf on the head. At the time it was only 300 lbs, but as time went on it became more playful and aggressive. When it was about 700 lbs she told me she thought it was going to charge her in the barn. He was just playing around but that was his progression to head butt her. The next two weeks, he hung in my barn and now in my freezer. He went a little early, but he had to go.

Latest posts