Trespass or not ???

Help Support CattleToday:

peacemaker

Reaction score
I got a call from my parents the other night.
Mom's 70 & dad's 74 saying that coon hunters cames rushing up the driveway at 11:pm in a big 4wd truck & wanted them to open the cattle gates so they could go in & look for thier dog's.
To make a long story short he told them no way he was going out in 30 degree weather to open the gate so they left a little unhappy.
I have no problem with hunters ( I hunt myself)
But after reading the virginia regulations. If I read it correctly they are aloud to trespass to recover dog's. but you dont have to allow them to bring a vehicle or weapons on your land.
(or open your gates for them)
But does that mean anyone who claims to have a dog can just creep around your property in the middle of the night walking your pastures and walking around your barn etc.
And what if thier dog's attack your livestock.
This seem's like a crazy law.
Any comments....

I'd tell them to pound sand. I don't care if it was their award winning $10,000 coon hound, or just a run of the mill mutt. Coming around knockin on doors at that hour is unacceptable.

peacemaker":18akbtuf said:
But after reading the virginia regulations. If I read it correctly they are aloud to trespass to recover dog's. but you dont have to allow them to bring a vehicle or weapons on your land.

As I understand it, they are allowed to retrieve their dogs but they are supposed to attempt reasonable contact the land owner. If you don't open the gate, they are likely going to climb your fence and do damage. I also understand they are not supposed to bring firearms in recovery efforts.

I too like to hunt. What I despise are the hunters who cast bad reflections on everyone else who hunts responsibly.

backhoeboogie":xgys7r64 said:
I also understand they are not supposed to bring firearms in recovery efforts.

I know this is the case in Kansas, if I find anyone on my property with a gun that was not invited I would call game warden. Here we paint our corner post purple and if you are inside purple area with out a written note from owner you are illegally hunting. Having a gun would make them illegal hunters they can cry all day about getting the dog, but the gun makes them guilty of trespassing and hunting violation.

This story is a prime example of why the Coon hunters around here have no place to hunt anymore.

A select few ruin it for almost all.You can forget calling a game warden, they're covered up, and there aint enough of them.(around here)

If they had showed up here in that manner, they would have forced me to activate our RADS that'be (Rural Artillery Defense Sysyem) ;-)

Surely, they didn't demand he open the gate. At least they did ask. I've coon hunted all my life, I asked to go get my dogs, when I could, I never woke anyone up to ask though. If there was'nt a light on I didn't ask, I just walked in and got them,no gun and very little light. Not tearing nothing up just went to get what was mine. Not everyone is out to steal or tear things up. what kills me is city folks buy a lot in the country, and think they own the whole section.

We have a lot of American hunters come up here to hunt I dont care where they go on my land --long as they dont shoot my cows or horses--wish there were more I hardly know anyone who hasn't smucked up a viehical an account of a deer In general I find them pretty good guys who respect our propery

carl

oscar p... like I said they were a little upset about not gaining access with the truck. were definately not city folk & never have been. Where my parents are is over 100 acres & our place in North carolina is over 200. I think the problem was they didnt want to walk when it's easier to drive.And think about it... If they drove in then it seems they would have thier guns and all with them.I dont think they were planning on leaving thier rifle on the side of the road while they drove around. I tend to agree with crowder on this. And I hate to say it but all people are not nice and in today's world it's hard to tell who is a good guy looking for thier dog's and who wants to see what you have so they can come back & steal you blind.unfortunatly this world aint what it use to be.I hear lots of stories in these parts about 4 wheelers & chainsaws growing legs in the middle of the night.

oscar p":1a99roci said:
I just walked in and got them,no gun and very little light. Not tearing nothing up just went to get what was mine. Not everyone is out to steal or tear things up. what kills me is city folks buy a lot in the country, and think they own the whole section.

Had you been caught doing that in Wyoming you would have been guilty of trespass and probably faced charges - regardless of whether the property was posted or not.

All land is posted by law in Alabama, also by law you have the right to go get your dogs. The law doesn't say,you have to get permission, I would get permission to get them if possable, But like i said, I'm not going to wake someone up at 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock in the morning,And piss them off, to ask if I can go get the dog, All hunters are not theives and roughnecks. I"m not in your backyard, I'm in the woods

VA law says you have a right to retrieve your dogs from anothers property even if it is posted provided you do not use your vehicle or carry a weapon. Both can be used if you have permission. I don't night hunt but I have been in the past andI know people who do still.I 've also known a few people who were unreasonable about their land and laws like this are the only way someone has to get their dog back.The people who woke up your Mom and Dad were not being very considerate-they should have climbed at the hinge end of the gate,gotten the dog and quietly left.I once was hunting with one of the most well known coon hunters in this area when we were in the vicinity of someones house.I turned off my walking light so I wouldn't disturb the person in the house. My friend said to turn it back on as they would know we were legitimate with a light on as a theif would use one so he wouldn't be noticed.

We had that trouble ONCE. I spoke with them and they said the dogs couln't read the signs. Well they put their dogs on a 100 acre tract knowing they were going to get on ours. Spoke with them again - no results. Mailed them the dogs collars in the mail with no return adress. Don't have that problem anymore.

oscar p":m0o6u250 said:
All land is posted by law in Alabama, also by law you have the right to go get your dogs. The law doesn't say,you have to get permission, I would get permission to get them if possable, But like i said, I'm not going to wake someone up at 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock in the morning,And be nice them off, to ask if I can go get the dog, All hunters are not theives and roughnecks. I"m not in your backyard, I'm in the woods

What if their woods is their backyard, sounds to me like you are trespassing. What gives you the right to coon hunt on their land-period. Maybe you should be able to keep better track of your dogs, and not go onto peoples private property.

GMN

GMN":3il6uyg9 said:
What if their woods is their backyard, sounds to me like you are trespassing. What gives you the right to coon hunt on their land-period. Maybe you should be able to keep better track of your dogs, and not go onto peoples private property.

GMN

Exactly. I don't see a bit of difference between the dogs being in my back yard or on my back 40. They are not supposed to be at either place. When they crossed my fence they are now in violation of the lease law too.

Brazos River Authority tells me no one has permission to coon hunt on their porperty. Coon hunters think they can go down the river. Dogs get out and run coons. Coons are going to be on someone's land. How can you ever shoot a coon? Can't shoot on the river. Can't take a gun onto private property to "retrieve" a dog you turned loose on that property. So they are poaching, trespassing, and thankfully our county judge don't tolerate it.

We have a lagoon off of the river that fills up with ducks. It is not part of BRA land but the duck hunters think it is. When they start shooting across the pastures we tell them to leave. When they get mouthy we call the game warden.

Why can't folks just buy their own land and quit trespassing on everyone else's?

oscar p":3o1uuyyv said:
All land is posted by law in Alabama, also by law you have the right to go get your dogs. The law doesn't say,you have to get permission, I would get permission to get them if possable, But like i said, I'm not going to wake someone up at 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock in the morning,And be nice them off, to ask if I can go get the dog, All hunters are not theives and roughnecks. I"m not in your backyard, I'm in the woods

It has nothing to do with being a criminal, thief, or roughneck - it has to do with complying with the law, and the law states that no hunter may enter any property without the express permission of the landowner in Wyoming - for ANY reason. If they choose to do so, they are guilty of criminal trespass, and will be prosecuted if caught. It's that simple. The main thing that seperates criminals, thieves, and roughnecks from the rest of us is the willingness to know the laws, and obey them. Perhaps you need to work on training your dogs a little better. Granted, my dogs are not hunting dogs - but I still work with them on a regular basis to enforce the rule that they are allowed to run on our property and not the neighbors.

backhoeboogie":z35uo2k5 said:
GMN":z35uo2k5 said:

GMN

Exactly. I don't see a bit of difference between the dogs being in my back yard or on my back 40. They are not supposed to be at either place. When they crossed my fence they are now in violation of the lease law too.

Brazos River Authority tells me no one has permission to coon hunt on their porperty. Coon hunters think they can go down the river. Dogs get out and run coons. Coons are going to be on someone's land. How can you ever shoot a coon? Can't shoot on the river. Can't take a gun onto private property to "retrieve" a dog you turned loose on that property. So they are poaching, trespassing, and thankfully our county judge don't tolerate it.

We have a lagoon off of the river that fills up with ducks. It is not part of BRA land but the duck hunters think it is. When they start shooting across the pastures we tell them to leave. When they get mouthy we call the game warden.

Why can't folks just buy their own land and quit trespassing on everyone else's?

That is a poser, isn't it?

GMN, I agree.

When I was managing the Campbellton unit for the C4 Ranch at Pleasanton we had a major problem with three Dallas cops who bought 80 acres from an estate that bordered us on the east side. At that time the ranch was all behind barb wire and on several occassions one of us heard the shot and got there in time to catch them dragging a deer back across the fence. Of course they always swore they had shot the deer on their side and it had jumped the fence before it went down. Doc said let them go but finally went to them and offered to give them their money back for the place. They basiclly laughed at him and told him to be somewhere else. That is not a good thing to do to a man who has five generations buried in the local cementary, owns nearly 10,000 acres, a chunk of the hospital and helped found one of the banks. The next week I spent $25,000 of his money at TSC and now the Campbellton unit is behind a high fence. That means these guys are high fenced on three sides with the only open side being on the highway and then it's high fence in both directions and on both sides of the highway for about two miles. If anyone is looking for a nice Brush Country retreat cheap let me know. If you want to run cows on it it should handle about eight units and a bull most years but you'll have to haul water or drill a new well.

My point is that in the beginning all these guys would of had to do is ask and they could have hunted across the fence with no problems. 90% of the time if hunters are polite and respect people and their property the answer will be yes. I've never coon hunted behind dogs but I think that if I was going to I'd go to every landowner in the area I was hunting, introduce my self and ask permission to hunt/cross their land before I started. and then I'd still let them know each time before I went hunting. Anything less is a show of disrespect in my opinion.Z

Ill mannered, disrespectful people...be they coon hunters releasing their dogs to go anywhere they like or be they people that never use the words, "Excuse me, or Do you mind?, or I screwed up, I'm sorry" I'm over the whole bunch of them, and I find myself tolerating it less and less. Blatant, brazen disrespect seems to have become more the norm than the exception.

I guess this is why I'm becoming more of a hermit every day.

Alice

backhoeboogie":2jb8dxnr said:
GMN":2jb8dxnr said:

GMN

My thoughts exactly. For some reason I think they think they are above the law. To me, it is just plain wrong to go on someone else's land. its like me going over to their house, and walking right in the front door, making myself right at home in their house. We pay the mortgage and taxes on our place, I think we have the right to say what or who we want on our
land.

GMN

Latest posts