Tree Stumps

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I cut down two Peach trees in my side yard this morning. Can anyone tell me what Herbicide will kill the stump and root system of there trees. I plan to drill holes in the top of the trunk and poor the Herbicide in so the chickens/dogs won't ingest the poison.
Help will be appreciated, thanks.

Tordon RTU is what I suggest people to use. I however think the best stump and root killer is grinding it up. I used tordon on a tree can't remember the species but no sprouts came back on the stump I was shocked.

Roundup or any glyphosate works 1 part + 3 parts water. :nod: apply to stub with a paint brush. :2cents:

I bored holes & used straight gernetic roundup, (Cornerstone???) No sprouts.. bout a oz or two to a 10 -12 inch stump.. Worked on some hedge stumps too, just used 2 -3 cc's per 4 or 5 inch stump..

I applied Tordon to thousands of maple stumps, it sure kills them. You need to apply it to the cambium layer all the way around the stump. Crossbow will also work and so will Roundup. Again paint it to the cambium layer.

I use tordon RTU. Trick is to apply it IMMEDIATELY after cutting the tree down. Not tomorrow, not in a couple hours after a beer, right after it falls. Just cover the stump and go to the next tree.

kerley":1h62jkoc said:
I cut down two Peach trees in my side yard this morning. Can anyone tell me what Herbicide will kill the stump and root system of there trees. I plan to drill holes in the top of the trunk and poor the Herbicide in so the chickens/dogs won't ingest the poison.
Help will be appreciated, thanks.

Make a cheap stump burner. Get an old 55 gallon drum cut the bottom out of it
then cut three or four 3 inch holes about 6 inches from the bottom evenly spaced out.
Set it over your stump fill the barrel with limbs from the cut down tree.
It will burn the stump out below ground. The barrel is usually only good for two or three stumps.

One thing about Tordon RTU, anything spilled on the ground can have negative effects on sensitive species growing adjacent to the cut tree. I used Tordon to treat stumps of volunteer elms and ash trees in my windbreak, smoked a bunch of cranberry bushes :mad: The label lists a bunch of sensitive species, but not all as they don't test everything. The disclaimer killed my cranberry bushes.

Latest posts