red cedar tree removal

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3618jgg6 said:
BRYANT":3618jgg6 said:
Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.
When I cleared another farm I used a shear and cut them just below ground level. The biggest pain was pushing them to a pile to burn. The grass in the area I cut is really pretty nice but it's almost impossible to get to with a truck because of the oak scrub that came up in place of the cedars.
my plan is to get my places where I can control burn them

BRYANT":39qxqn6k said:
dun":39qxqn6k said:
BRYANT":39qxqn6k said:
Thanks for all the information.
I took out a bunch on another place with my dozer but the skidloader and shear is pretty fast and does not do as much ground damage.
When I cleared another farm I used a shear and cut them just below ground level. The biggest pain was pushing them to a pile to burn. The grass in the area I cut is really pretty nice but it's almost impossible to get to with a truck because of the oak scrub that came up in place of the cedars.
my plan is to get my places where I can control burn them
That was my plan too. But other things got in the way. I didn;t even get over to that farm for a year before we sold it

ddd75":1lr2mh90 said:
they push out so easily I would never cut them.
like anything depends on the size, my dozer was a JD 650G and I have seen some that it was all it wanted to push them out and different soils make a difference on how they push also. The way the roots are they will do a lot of ground damage pushing them with a dozer.

BRYANT":2xv5v8v4 said:
ddd75":2xv5v8v4 said:
they push out so easily I would never cut them.
like anything depends on the size, my dozer was a JD 650G and I have seen some that it was all it wanted to push them out and different soils make a difference on how they push also. The way the roots are they will do a lot of ground damage pushing them with a dozer.

They don't all push so easy. Some will come right out the next won't. In rocky ground they usually push out pretty good. In tight clay not so much. They'll root down deeper than you think.
Also if they have a good post in em they push pretty good. The big trees that don't have a post you can forget it.

Ebenezer":1d5zfzsy said:
Red Cedar: a water sucking machine.
Aint that the truth! And even worse are the berrys that cause the fence rows to grow up with them from the birds s(h)itting on the fence.

callmefence":g7ebbx50 said:
BRYANT":g7ebbx50 said:
callmefence":g7ebbx50 said:
Cedar chopping is a hard way to make a little money....bought like picking up aluminium cans.
We always try to push the stumps out. On the ones that won't budge we push the brush around em and burn em. I've been discing a field and their coming right out. I cut em flush to the ground...30 years ago.
I sure don't want to hire out shearing cedars I am only doing it on my own place. If they are not real big I just start to shear them , then I just spin the skidloader and it rips them out roots and all, everything else is cut smooth or slightly below ground level. BUT if I am going to remove them and could make a few dollars off them that would be nice.

Sure..
Around here some of the old growth post say 12' with a 10" top and really straight may bring 15.00
Imo the easiest money is when the mill is taking stays. Last time it got slow enough to chop cedar. Me and two guys cut close to 1000 stays in a day.
They paid .85 for yard grade and .60 for wire grade.

Be careful doing that Fence. Make sure they know it's just a hobby or you'll get the reputation like most all the other cedar cutters....low life, stealing, lieing, sobs. :lol2: :hide:

I cut any good logs I could and had a portable Saw Mill come to me. If you have a skid steer you should check into a mulching head for the smaller trees. It will grind the stumps flush and no brush to deal with

Big T":2d5lyazm said:
I cut any good logs I could and had a portable Saw Mill come to me. If you have a skid steer you should check into a mulching head for the smaller trees. It will grind the stumps flush and no brush to deal with
What does the wood mulch do to the soil ph?

Not sure about ph but mulching wont let grass grow. I like to push them to a pile and burn or push in a ditch. Anything under 8" my skid steer will push out pretty easy with most roots.
Big trees either cut flush with the ground which will dull chains or dig up the stump by making a big hole which takes some time.

Relating to the coal thread, I have seen old timers put an old tire around a stump then fill it with a burlap sack of coal. It will burn hot but then the coal will hold the heat in and burn a long time. Burns it into the roots,

i'm glad the biggest ones I have around here are around 14" or less. They have very shallow roots here and I can push them over with my tractor easily. Push them around just a little and almost all the dirt falls off the root ball unlike some other trees like a locust. I think if you pushed a locust out it'd still grow.

Midtenn":2bv2cysr said:
Not sure about ph but mulching wont let grass grow. I like to push them to a pile and burn or push in a ditch. Anything under 8" my skid steer will push out pretty easy with most roots.
Big trees either cut flush with the ground which will dull chains or dig up the stump by making a big hole which takes some time.

Power company mulched a strip under the power lines on my place. It took ten years for the sticks to rot and the grass to get right. Mulching has its place but not in thick cedar.

Drill a hole in it big enough to put a flare in. As the flare burns down the stump burns down if the stump is dry.

several good ideas, sounds like a lot of people have had to deal with red cedars. As for the mulching I don't like the mess they make. I would like to have one to go around the fence roll that are in the woods, other than that I don't care for them. As for the clean up after I shear them, I have a grapple on the skid loader and can pile them pretty fast. I will burn the piles. All the ideas to get rid of the stumps sounds good if its just a few but we are talking hundreds so I guess I'll just shear them smooth with ground and forget about them. I have a stump in a rental house yard that I may try one of the ''stump removal'' ideas on.

We do things a bit different here. We're trying to get quail re-established. It's worked pretty well on the current farm and I'm hoping it will work as well or better on the new one. If the cedars are out in the pasture or just along the edge of the timber we cut them and push them into big brush piles around the edges of clearings. If they are along the edges of a small clearing we hinge cut them about 3 foot above the ground and use that as a base for other cedars to make quail habitat.

dun":2hepjjwx said:
We do things a bit different here. We're trying to get quail re-established. It's worked pretty well on the current farm and I'm hoping it will work as well or better on the new one. If the cedars are out in the pasture or just along the edge of the timber we cut them and push them into big brush piles around the edges of clearings. If they are along the edges of a small clearing we hinge cut them about 3 foot above the ground and use that as a base for other cedars to make quail habitat.
I am not into Quail hunting that much, but still would not mind seeing more Quail, I do see a covey fairly often. I might try that. Do you trim the lower branches off on the ones that you hinge cut so that it wont grow back?

Latest posts