Treating round bales with molasses and urea

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We now have highs in the low 30s and snow on the ground... More snow tomorrow. We are a month away from pasture so I plan to buy some outside stored round bales (with 30% waste) from a neighbor. The local feed mill will come out and pour "quality liquid feed" (molasses and urea) onto each bale. Do you have any experience or suggestions with this treatment?

I'd save my money and buy either a regular supplement if the hay is that bad, or just more hay. I'd think they would be putting that stuff on bad spots of hay as well, and even then they wouldn't eat it.

Unless it is realley bad rank hay or you are not feeding them very much of it, they should be alright until pasture comes on. The only time they would need more is if they are milking and trying to get rebred.

Stocker Steve":cp7g32kg said:
We now have highs in the low 30s and snow on the ground... More snow tomorrow. We are a month away from pasture so I plan to buy some outside stored round bales (with 30% waste) from a neighbor. The local feed mill will come out and pour "quality liquid feed" (molasses and urea) onto each bale. Do you have any experience or suggestions with this treatment?

Steve - suspect you are still in cold weather.

I have increased palatability and certainly quality by doing something similar.

It really kept the costs down when we were forced into trucking hay - or buying additional supplements - when in fact we could use the hay and straw we had right in the yard - and keeping the costs down is about the only way to make a profit these days.

Only thing is the outfit we used actually injected the stuff into the bale.

Essentially it looked like a bale hugger with needles about 2 inches in diametre. Squeeze the bale and inject the molasses and urea.

We did the same with straw bales except - if memory serves me - we injected anhydrous.

Cattle loved all of those bales and the analysis went way up.

As for pour on - I cannot give you a square answer - but it will make the bales more attractive to the cattle.

If it works, and I were you I might also buy my own applicator and do the job myself.

And the extra value will help keep them going during your upcoming schitzen mud and rain weather.

Regards,

Bez>

Bez>":11jy1vs3 said:
Stocker Steve":11jy1vs3 said:

Steve - suspect you are still in cold weather.

I have increased palatability and certainly quality by doing something similar.

It really kept the costs down when we were forced into trucking hay - or buying additional supplements - when in fact we could use the hay and straw we had right in the yard - and keeping the costs down is about the only way to make a profit these days.

Only thing is the outfit we used actually injected the stuff into the bale.

Essentially it looked like a bale hugger with needles about 2 inches in diametre. Squeeze the bale and inject the molasses and urea.

We did the same with straw bales except - if memory serves me - we injected anhydrous.

Cattle loved all of those bales and the analysis went way up.

As for pour on - I cannot give you a square answer - but it will make the bales more attractive to the cattle.

If it works, and I were you I might also buy my own applicator and do the job myself.

And the extra value will help keep them going during your upcoming schitzen mud and rain weather.

Regards,

Bez>

How is that priced?

It has been at least 4 - 5 years since I did this - I think the price was around 4 bucks a bale.

I set the bales up and the jobber hit them with his machine. Then I hauled the bales away. We did it all in the yard and it went pretty quick.

I have no idea what the cost would be today.

Bez>

Latest posts