Travel route through time

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I took a picture a couple miles from my place. Over the years there has been a lot of travel in different forms pass through this little gap.
The freeway (I-84) where the trucks are was built in 1962. A state trooper told me that about 16,000 trucks go through here each day hauling stuff to or from Portland, Seattle, and the PNW.
In the foreground is highway 30. This section was built in about 1922. It was the first cross state paved road going from Portland to the Idaho state line.
Between those two roads is the rail road. The rail road first passed here in 1884. That of course changed travel and freight to this area and the state in general.
Before the RR this was a wagon trail used by freight wagons. The freight wagons continued for some time after the RR but they changed to hauling supplies from the RR depots out into the country side.
The Umatilla-Boise stage coach line ran through site from 1864 until 1884 when the RR put them out of business.
Before that this was a portion of the Oregon Trail. There were several small groups who would have passed this site in 1840,41,& 42. In 1842 Fremont and his newly formed Corps and Topographic Engineers mapped this route. That started the great migration in 1843. Several hundred thousand people passed through here on the wagon trains over the next 26 years or so. Its use slowed after the transcontinental rail road was built but some people still used it as late as the 1890's.
In 1836 Marcus Whitman and Henry Spalding along with their wifes Narcissa and Eliza Passed here on their way to establish a mission at Walla Walla. The wifes were among the first white women to be in the PNW.
This was a route established and used by the mountain men from 1811 to 1840.
In an effort to keep the Americans out of the PNW the Hudson Bay Company built forts. Two of those forts were Fort Hall in what is now Eastern Idaho and Fort Boise located where the Boise River flows into the Snake River. The supplies for those two forts passed through this gap on pack trains.
Finally going back in time this was a route used by the Native Americans going to and from the Snake River in the area upstream from Hell's Canyon.

Latest posts