Trapping Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

They are using the right panels. Pay close attention to that. Hogs can get their heads through cow panels and they'll wiggle the welds loose or else die hanging half way through. Sheep panels are what it takes. Some places call them utility panels if they are only 16 foot long. I like the 20 footers.

Full grown hogs will go right over the top of that one. They'll go over 6 foot panels.

Hogs are what do the pasture damage with their cutter teeth. They root up the ground and the little fellows run in behind and get roots and worms too. The little guys will also flip every cow pie in a pasture as they grub for bugs and worms underneath them.

That trap will hold shoats and pigs (like you see in the picture), so long as they don't go "piggy back" on you and jump out. Big ones will etiher rip it apart or go over it. Those T-posts are enough. I have seen wood posts sheared off.

Best traps I have ever seen are 4x4" squares, 6' tall, 20' long pannel that were framed out with pipe that you could pin together. They had smaller panels that would pin to the top, flp down, and lay paraller with the ground and point inward to keep them going out the top. The gates were so that you could push in but not come out. THey put them around cattle feeders, water troughs, or any other food sources.

Alot of the big ranches have them atleast 100' diameter. They haul the hogs out in double decker cattle trailers. :eek: Smaller scale one work very well also, its a good investment if you have hogs already because they ain't going any where.

Latest posts