Transporting mower condtioners/discbines

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Question that makes me curious, how do mower condtioners/discbines get transported long distances? Never seen it done. Assuming its loaded on a side ramp trailer and the tongue removed, but that's just a guess. Would like to buy a good used one in the future, and will likely go a fair distance for the right bargain (like all my purchases). Just curious how they get moved from an auction sale to a yard 300 miles away.

I do know of one local that bought a 12 discbine and hauled it behind his truck all the way home (about 200 miles one way). Had to drive on a stretch of double lane highway near a large city and just about gave himself a heart attack.

I bought a 16' MacDon swather at a farm sale 150 miles from home about 10 yrs ago. My '73 F250 pulled it easily. The swather had great road manners. This was on good road with wide shoulders. Could do 50 mph on the open road with no traffic.

Of course I had to slow down and get over on the shoulder when meeting traffic. I'd let off the gas and coast down to about 15 mph when oncoming traffic was about a mile away. Main thing to remember is a moco behind a pickup is the tail wagging the dog as far as weight goes.

My round baler OTOH has terrible road manners. It gets a terrible hop at a certain speed. Can't pull it any faster than a tractor can go.

If I am going a longer distance pulling some machinery I like to do it early sunday morning and try and be home before church. But 200-300 miles would be a bit too far for that.

I don't know, but I'm guessing your right on the side load and removing the tongue.

NH made a road transporter that used the tongue , and i think if you unhook the hyd. cyl. to the tongue it will turn over the end