tranquilizing before slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

salem

Reaction score
I had a heifer that was unmanagable. We could not load her, pen her, or get near her in any way. In order to move her out, I had to tranquilizer her. I used 2 cc's of roumpin with a dart gun. We still had a lot of trouble loading her but did get her on the trailer. All this was on Saturday morning, she is scheduled to be slaughtered for our personal use not for resale on Monday. Is this enough time? Any help would be appreciated.

salem":2vzatw8w said:
I had a heifer that was unmanagable. We could not load her, pen her, or get near her in any way. In order to move her out, I had to tranquilizer her. I used 2 cc's of roumpin with a dart gun. We still had a lot of trouble loading her but did get her on the trailer. All this was on Saturday morning, she is scheduled to be slaughtered for our personal use not for resale on Monday. Is this enough time? Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a withdrawal date on the tranqilizer?

The vet just gave me the shot ready to be loaded in the dart. He said, I would not be able to send her to the auction for 2 or 3 days. I never asked him about slaughter. I'm just wondering if the meat will be O.K.? I won't be able to get with him till after I have delivered the cow to the slaughter house.

She could become a "dark cutter" because of all the stress and agitation. If she settles down at the processor's pen I would have her slaughter delayed for a couple of days...the feed bill would be worth it. We never have had a dark cutter but I'd bet that the meat quality is suffering from what I've been told.
Just my two bits worth....asked for or not...Dmc

I would advise waiting to ask your vet.

from http://www.drugs.com/vet/xylazine-hcl.html

Warning
The drug is for use in horses and Cervidae only and should not be administered to food-producing animals.

Avoid accidental administration to humans. Should such exposure occur, notify a physician immediately. Artificial respiration may be indicated.

At the very least I would avoid using injection location, liver and kidneys.

Regardless of the withdrawal time, if you can let her rest, recover, and eat at the slaughterhouse for a few days, you will have much better meat. Happy cows make for better meat.

At times like these you need to know an onsite butcher.
Someone that will come to your place.
Then drop her in the field with the 30-30.
She never knows she was going to get excited.

dj":1qmez0wm said:
At times like these you need to know an onsite butcher.
Someone that will come to your place.
Then drop her in the field with the 30-30.
She never knows she was going to get excited.

Exactly why we use the butcher we do. The meat has to be better from anything if all they're doing is the're normal routine

Salem,

I would bring her home and harvest her in the field after she settles down. A few days at least.

Coordinate it with the processor.

Many writings about the adrenalin effect on the meat. Deer hunters are realizing that a belly shot with tracking and final kill hours away almost ruins the meat. The difference is significant from a clean harvest.

The gun was an air gun. It uses phu darts that can hold up to 4 cc's. The gun works like a BB gun. I pump it 7 times and I can make a clean hit at 30 yards. I'm going to wait and let her calm down, look for a person to come on site. Thanks for all the help.

Salem