Train cattle to gunfire

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
I was wondering if I have to or if any of you train your cattle to close gunfire. I have shot snakes on far corners of my place or while baling(I assume the baler drowned out the sound). But haven't shot real close to them. Obviously if I see a coyote/dog chasing or stalking my cattle I'd shoot it wherever I was.
Just wanted some of your thoughts and opinions?

jrn28":1p7dwaxe said:
I was wondering if I have to or if any of you train your cattle to close gunfire. I have shot snakes on far corners of my place or while baling(I assume the baler drowned out the sound). But haven't shot real close to them. Obviously if I see a coyote/dog chasing or stalking my cattle I'd shoot it wherever I was.
Just wanted some of your thoughts and opinions?

I have target practiced in the pasture while walking I will see a plastic jug that blew in the pasture sometimes I pull my handgun out and shoot it while cattle are near me not to train them but just cause I wanted to shoot the jug before picking it up. My cattle hear shots all the time so nothing new to them when they are close and i shoot they jump and move back but after that they are ok.

We've always dove hunted in fields that had cattle. Its never been an issue. Have never fired a gun right next to them. I would suspect if they are in their natural habitat, with plenty of room, there will be no issues.

I get tickled at fawns when trains go by. A doe will look, then go back to eating acorns. Fawns will be nervous and jumping all around looking for cover. Seems they wonder why the doe doesn't run. Trains make a long and continuous noise. My cows are not near trains but lots of folks are.

Latest posts