Trailer/truck floor beds

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I delivered a 6 wt calf to the sale barn this past Monday & upon return while cleaning out the truck, I noticed a couple of boards that I had installed at least 20 yrs ago had a noticeable "sag" to them. The majority of my high 1 tn truck floor has treated 2X10's that seemed ok while a small section had 2 X 6 oak boards that I added to cover hole that originally was there because as a race car hauler it required a tool pit. Had a cow's leg broken thru it would have wound up in this tool pit (metal box). I replaced all the oak with treated 2X6 lumber & parked it behind the barn.

Subsequently, I was chatting with a fellow cattle friend & related that I had to fix my truck bed to insure an accident free cattle hauler ('64 Ford F350). He responded with a story that sent shivers up my spine that happen just a couple of weeks ago at our local sale barn. I will not relate any details as I can not do such & would not want to upset anyone - but I write this in the hopes that all will check their trailer/truck floors before hauling cattle.

I hope the story I heard is a very rare incident - do others know of such a tragedy? Not looking for details, just a comment on the frequency. Let us all learn from others' mistakes! I re-inspected my truck from the underside to insure that all boards looked secure.

You mean where their legs fall through and get ground off?
Or at the least broken. It has happened. Not to me, but it has happened.

Farminlund":3tdnmlwu said:
I will not relate any details as I can not do such & would not want to upset anyone - but I write this in the hopes that all will check their trailer/truck floors before hauling cattle.

We check the trailer floors regularly to avoid this type of incident.

I hope the story I heard is a very rare incident - do others know of such a tragedy? Not looking for details, just a comment on the frequency. Let us all learn from others' mistakes!

Based on the stories I've heard, I don't believe I would classify it as a 'very rare incident'. :(

Happened right in front of me on the highway when I was in college. Load of fat cattle in an old gooseneck. Eight head went through. I stopped to help the guy. It was ugly, to say the least. They weren't his cattle and it wasn't his trailer. He was just helping out a neighbor. On top of the cattle falling through, I thought the poor fella was going to have a heart attack.

I agree with C and C. Mine has rumber (rubber) boards and they can't rot. Worth the money. One can buy the boards and convert over. There are many varieties of roughness to them, but I still need a cattle panel on the floor to prevent "ice Skating" accidents.

Billy

the conversion to rumber would make my trailer worthless.
my stringers are run for lengthwise not sidewise boards.
additional metal would knock my net weight in the head.
For those that buy trailers set up for this it's great. But if your going to convert consider the weight added.

i use an old mop and soak down the boards in both of my trailers twice a year with old motor oil from the tractors....bacteria is what actually rots wood, and what bacteria in it's right mind would live in old motor oil? NONE ! trick i learned from an old timer up in northfield, vermont. he had a wood floor flatbed that was over 35 years old and it looked brand new. Using this one, i have never had a fall through on a road or highway.

Well, I have a new trailer and I havent had any fall through and hope to never experience that.

I did have one thing happen on my land as I was bringing the cows from one pasture to the pasture near my house. As I turned the corner to the gate, I looked back and two of the cows in the back half of the trailer were going back the same way we just came.

The pin that holds the sliding gate closed had worked it's way up and the gate slid open from all the vibration. The good thing is I was on grass and not going over 5 MPH and all I had to do was open the gate to the field and slowly push them that way.

I now put a chain with lock around the gate anytime I haul them, no matter how far.

and the oil trick does work, I have some rough cut untreated 4 x 4 post in the ground that I soaked for a few weeks in a barrel of old oil and diesel fuel and they are still very solid after 12 years.

I worked at a stockyard in my youth -- sadly it happened regularly :(

The oil does work well-- I also ran it down the inside of my old solid walled trailer to keep it from rusting out too.

One thing that never gets done near enough is cleaning out the trailer-- it seems to be such a waste of time when its used every other day. But I know it extends the life of one so I should put it higher on the never ending list.

I just bought a 16' bumper pull stock trailer about two weeks ago. I gave $600 for it as it sat, and I've already put "new" (used, but good) tires, a new jack, safety chains, and a light kit on it, which ran me up to $750 in it.

Up till now, I'd been debating on the floor.. It doesn't "look" bad, but seeing how often this happens, I bet they're long gone by the time they ever start to "look" bad.. That said, you guys have made my mind up for me.. I'll definitely be replacing the floor with 2" rough cut oak. That'll probably put me up to at least $900 in it, but what's $150-200 and a little labor if it saves you the trouble of shoveling a $1000 cow into five gallon buckets.. :shock:

I am going to be replacing the floor in my 16 foot stock trailer as well.
My two options will be. 1- treated pine 2X8s, 2-Rough sawn red oak 2X8s.
I will coat which ever one I use with used motor oil.

Which one of these would be the best choice?

Im in the same boat as KenB. I just bought an older 16' Gooseneck which is having some Metal work done on it. I already have the floor out and will be putting in a new one next week. I also would like some suggestions on flooring material.

KenB":118tcixg said:

I'd go with the oak. I believe it would last longer.

Katherine

As can be seen from the original post - the oak failed while the treated pine (or fir or some other conifer) is still in excellent shape. I did not treat either with motor oil on a regular basis, so that variable is not factored into my recommendation. But I tell you after ~20 years the 2X8 treated appears to be without degradation while the oak was rotten & had to be replaced. That is one person's experience, but I think treated is better than non-treated, & although oil is a good method, it demands discipline to insure applications on a regular basis.

I thank all that responded, & am so glad to see this thread has inspired some to take action. I can't tell you how horrified I was when I heard the story that took place recently at our local sale barn (for whatever reason I had never heard of such an accident). I do not think of my cows as pets, but I have a deep seated belief that they should never be subjected to any undue pain & mistreatment - having them fall thru the floor on the way to market is as bad as I can imagine one could mistreat any animal. I say mistreat because that is shear negligence on the human's part.

In Okla I never replaced a floor.
In Mo I've replaced two. Tried southern yellow pine, that lasted about 6 yrs. Then rough cut oak that has lasted about 5 but needs to be replaced now.

KenB":2zb8palp said:

I think I would go with the oak because it is a harder wood (it does have a tendency to warp, though). Pine is softer and would probably rot out faster.

KenB":1bbpkuwc said:

Go with the treated pine. Red oak will not hold up with exterior use! White oak would, but red oak will rot, regardless of what you put on it. The treated pine would be a much better scenario.

This has worked for us for a lot of years now. Make sure whatever your floor is made of that you coat the boards with sickens about three times top and bottom (get it at most any paint/homestore) install the boards and then put rubber mats or a cattle panel over top of them for traction. Sickens lasts a very long time and totally seals out the moisture.

Cypress, you are absolutely correct about the white oak, I have some that has been exposed to the weather for over 15 years on my utility trailer and it's still in good shape.

I was going to use sweet gum logs before because I had so many large trees that I wanted to get rid of, but the man I get my timber cut by told me I would regret it mainly because it would warp real bad exposed to the sun. He showed me a piece that was 6x6x12 and it was in a U shape after 4 weeks in the sun.

Latest posts