Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
About to start looking for a tractor don't need nothing fancy just for my cows do basic stuff mowing,a little bit a dirt work and stuff and putting out hay. Could I be ok with 30-50 hp and good price to pay as well as brands.

You'd be ok. I'd up the horse power, and get get some good old heavy made American steel.

an international 574 or Massey 255 would be right in that range.. don't undersize.. 30hp is really too wimpy, 55-60hp is nice, the masseys turn super sharp and will life a bale

Bfields30 said:
Bigfoot said:
You'd be ok. I'd up the horse power, and get get some good old heavy made American steel.
What size and brand do you think

6000 Ford
706 IH
3020 JD (always cheaper than 4020

Any from those eras. Parts readily available. Very dependable. Heavy made. The list goes on and on

Bigfoot said:
Bfields30 said:
Bigfoot said:
What size and brand do you think

6000 Ford
706 IH
3020 JD (always cheaper than 4020

Any from those eras. Parts readily available. Very dependable. Heavy made. The list goes on and on
Thanks Bigfoot

My husband does all the day-to day work (feeding hay, scrapping lots, ect) with a 706. For what little we put into it, its been hard to beat. We use a restored 400 for running the sickle mower and manure spreader, dragging the driveway, ect. Currently have a super MTA under restoration and a Case 830 case-o-matic comfort king in line for a full restoration after that (my husband calls it my case-o-bad judgement, but my grandfather bought it new in '66 and I learned to rake hay on it, it will never leave!). The best part is, we got all of these tractors for great deals (often the rubber was worth more than we paid for the whole tractor) and being old american iron, we can fix and restore just about anything!

If you are going to handle 5X5s,I'd go 65 minimum.I used a Ford 5000 with loader for five years plus with the 5X5 size bales and it worked well.If you find a 1968 or later 5000 in good shape,I'd add it to the list.A 5610 should work,too.I'd go 6600 over the 5600 since they didn't have the same size engine the 5000 or the 5610 did.A 2630 or 2640 John Deere will do what you are looking for,too.IH made some good ones that size and so did Massey Ferguson.Don't overlook a Case or Oliver either.
Main thing after finding what you like is getting parts.That' where a good nearby dealer can really help.Lots of parts online for some.

See if you can find an older massey ferguson late 60's early 70's diesel tractor with the A4 perkins engines, like a 165 , 175 or 180 very reliable and super easy on fuel. I had a 180 for years it was a good machine very reliable and parts are still readily available.

Definitely don't under size if anything buy something with a little more HP than you think you'll need, that way it'll be there should you need it. There are a lot of older tractors out there that can be bought for a decent price, of course you want a good running machine but don't overlook the condition of the tires they are expensive to replace.

When you do find one you like do some research on that particular model most people will share information or stories on their experiences.

Good Luck

Yes.Before you buy,tell us about the tractor.Someone on here probably knows something about most models.Several of us have owned mostly Fords and can help you with those.There are some Massey fans,too.I'm sure every brand has been owned by someone here.

JW IN VA said:
Yes.Before you buy,tell us about the tractor.Someone on here probably knows something about most models.Several of us have owned mostly Fords and can help you with those.There are some Massey fans,too.I'm sure every brand has been owned by someone here.
Most definitely will do

how much you want too spend? did you want a loader. with out a loader look at a 5105 john deere for less money a mahindra 5005 and for a old tractor a mf 165. far a loader tractor look at a john deere 5410 4wd, a 5000 ford would be a good older tractor.

Don't overlook a good buy in a smaller size though, slick 40 hp tractors bring a premium in trade. It might not be what you ultimately need, but if you can get a bargain do it and trade later.

I'd go with a Massey 255 before a 165 honestly.. 165's get stuck on a banana peel, they had much lighter rear ends.. In the masseys, wet brakes are also very desirable, the dry brakes are always grabby and wear more.. some models came with either as an option.. Also, I'm not too fond of the 165 diesel engine, while they do last, they don't have much grunt IMHO.. and they're a very shaky engine, the 255 has a far smoother feel to it. Another difference between the two is the 165 has a pretty complicated steering system, all fine and dandy while things are tight, but hard to fix and tighten if it's been abused.. the 255 has full power steering which has no steering box, just a servo.
Both tractors came with the 4 speed or 3 speed with multi-power (half speed).. (both had high and low range) good and bad points to each.. the 4 speed has a big step between 2nd and 3rd like many tractors of that era (WHY @#$#$%#$????), but the 3 speed doesn't engine brake when multipower is in low.. coupled with grabby brakes on a 165 and perhaps an operator that isn't well aware of this, it could turn out bad.. Is your land steep?
I think the 3 speeds had fully independent PTO while the 4 speeds had a 2 stage clutch.. again, good and bad points to each.. the independent one brakes and locks the PTO, so if you can't turn the implement shaft to get the splines to line up, you're going to be swearing a bit... I found them to be a safety concern too, your pant leg will easily engage the PTO by accident and they can be half engaged.. If you have a bound up cutter or something and free it, there will be drag and it could start moving again.. the 2 stage clutch PTO is a physical gear, it'll grind if you try and engage it rather than go in...

cowski said:
how much you want too spend? did you want a loader. with out a loader look at a 5105 john deere for less money a mahindra 5005 and for a old tractor a mf 165. far a loader tractor look at a john deere 5410 4wd, a 5000 ford would be a good older tractor.
with a loader

I have to keep a heavy implement attached to my 5103 during hay season because it's a little light in the rear end. The 50 hp is plenty to do everything I ask of it otherwise.

a wet 5x5 tight roll is heavy. i would still get a 4wd jd 5410 or 20. i think it would be the best tractor in the long run. a ford 5000 is still heavy enough.

Latest posts