Tractor won't move

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB":3rympdmz said:
Thanks for the ideas.

Update - I jacked the rear tires off the floor and tried it and the tires would turn then. I don't know what that means though, it seems to me it could still either be the clutch or worn splines somewhere. I would sure like to know what the problem is so I know what to start tearing into.

Does it have a double clutch ? If so it sheared the rivets or one of the plates is gone.
Had the same thing happen on a Massey has a double clutch one runs the pto the other the tractor.
The clutch went out is my bet. Got to split the tractor what fun, rebuilt the clutch for a couple hundred.

It aint worn spline somewhere...........how about telling us what tractor you have or get a service manual........geez.

he said it was an IH 885 I believe. And a lot of those had overdrives.

If you pull the top off the tranny, in neutral with the engine running, clutch out, some gears should be spinning, if you put it in gear and let the clutch out, no gears spinning means the problem is in clutch/overdrive area, if gears are spinning, it would be after the transmission.

He seems to just like this breakdown as an excuse to get something more comfy :p

Kingfisher":1poywih4 said:
It aint worn spline somewhere...

How do you know that?

Few years back my ford 5000 hydraulics and PTO quit working under load but would both work with no load. Turns out the splines had stripped on the shaft that drives them, it had just enough resistance that it would work a little bit unloaded.

The clutch was out last year.. Usually the clutch hub splines wear more than the shaft, so replacing the clutch fixes it, and you'd notice if the shaft was that worn... unless he put 5000 hours on it since last year

Ouachita":mt66gos9 said:
The symptom you are describing can also happen when/if the pinion shaft slips out of the spider gear case, or if a C-lock clip fails and one axle spline slips out of a spider gear (or if splines are worn on just one axle). In other words, if for some reason there has been a failure in the rear end that has disengaged one axle, the other wont turn under power (won't propel the tractor). That's why I ask if the tractor has a differential lock, usually a pedal pressed with the heel of your boot. When you have the tractor jacked up, when you rotate one wheel does the other turn the opposite direction, or not rotate at all? Can someone hold the opposite wheel while you rotate the other?

It does have differential lock.

I haven't spent much time working on it yet; as Nesikep stated I've used the breakdown as an excuse to buy something nicer. But now that is taken care of I'll hopefully have time to spend on it this week.

Thanks for all the advice.

Update - I brought it to a repair shop. And when they got into it they found that it had a TA that the previous owner must have locked into high somehow and removed the switch from the dash. (There were no tags or markings showing it ever existed). So that was news to me. Anyway it turns out that the shaft for the TA was stripped. He also found some other "minor" things that he thought should be replaced while he was in there. It'll end up being quite a bit more than I originally thought to fix it probably close to $2500 when all is said and done.

I need to get it together and sold soon since I already bought a new tractor (that I'm still waiting for) and also upgraded to a different skidsteer. Good MFWD loader tractors seem hard to find around here for under $20K, so if I ask $15K for it I think it should go quickly.

I guess I was half right... it did have something to do with the half speeds, unfortuately it wasn't just an electrical problem

Latest posts