Tractor Using Oil

Help Support CattleToday:

It is not turbo charged or anything like that. Basically plain tractor. I will check on the air filter. I cleaned it when we bought it but I will take another look at it. The mechanic I use said that the motor in this tractor was the better of the 2 that were put in massey ferguson 265 tractors. If that helps. Can't remember the size he said but I wrote it down in my shop but I am at work and can't tell you what it is. What kinda money you think it will cost to rebuild? And do you know what the kit is I need to get or look into. Some stuff you buy is junk aftermarket and I don't want that stuff. Thanks again.

I would replace the air filter. Sometimes they get to the point where cleaning no longer works. If the filter is plugged it will shoot a lot of smoke and if it is plugged bad enough it will drink oil.

if its just putt putted around the rings might not have seated, i remember a JD 4430 that a man rebuilt and was using some oil, later on a friend put a 24 ft disc behind it and put it too work rings seated and it quit using oil.. if its set for long periods dirt dobbers might have stopped up the crank case vent i wouldnt be too quick to break it down just yet no more hour than it has

Wick":2tt7t0sj said:
It leaks a little but not that much.
It's a Diesel engine and I have changed all Filters and luqids.
It smokes pretty bad when pulling a load up hill
I suggest that the leak would not look like much at rest but could be a lot under power and you would not see it. The engine breather mentined might be restricted with build up and push more out the leaks
I think dieselbeef is on the money

Well, I have been mowing more hay and it seems to not be using as much oil. But still smoking when pulling hard. Changed fuel filter, did not have time to change air filter yet. But will soon, So will see how it goes for a while. Will keep ya posted. Cellonoid went and had to be replaced and front wheel bearing had to be replaced as it went out to. So I think its a work in progress. One day will be like new. :)

youll have that stuff when somethin sat for lots of time..itll nit pick ya to death

check for a wasp nest or somethin in the breather tube and for sure git on the air filter asap..that could be 90% of yer problem. change the oil after 40 hrs or so and maybe add some mystery oil or use a high mileage oil. if it smokes under power thats just fine...ever seen a tractor pull or diesel trucks pull?? thats smokin under load..

got any pics of it??

No pics, you know how to get air filter out if its really stuck in there. Feels like its wedged in there pretty good. Somone told me to put some Lucas Oil traetment in when I change the oil. Think that might help?

If you're sure you have all of the catches and latches undone, just pry the snot out of it.

The Lucas stuff can;t hurt anything.

Wick":p1kdu80r said:
No pics, you know how to get air filter out if its really stuck in there. Feels like its wedged in there pretty good. Somone told me to put some Lucas Oil traetment in when I change the oil. Think that might help?
Have fun
I had a neighbor that had a MF 255 that called me cause they couldn't get the air filter out
wnet down and I couldn't get it out either this was about 5 yrs ago and they had never changed the air filter since they bought the tractor new in the late 70s or early 80s :roll:
I took the housing off and finnally got the filter out in pieces was real run :mad:

dieselbeef":2gmjc3wb said:
that might be yer prob right there
I was thinking very similar. I hd an airfilter that the dirt daubers almost completely filled with mud. It wouldn;t even start until I removed the filter and cleaned it out.

Latest posts