Tractor Using Oil

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
My Massey 265 is burning oil like crazy, using it to mow hay the last couple weeks it and it I have put almost 2 gallons of oil in it. It leaks a little but not that much. It runs strong but I am a little alarmed about this but don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help. It's a Diesel engine and I have changed all Filters and luqids. It smokes pretty bad when pulling a load up hill, but all around seems like everything else is doing ok with it. Can someone help me!!

Wick":3kpdbnzt said:
My Massey 265 is burning oil like crazy, using it to mow hay the last couple weeks it and it I have put almost 2 gallons of oil in it. It leaks a little but not that much. It runs strong but I am a little alarmed about this but don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help. It's a Diesel engine and I have changed all Filters and luqids. It smokes pretty bad when pulling a load up hill, but all around seems like everything else is doing ok with it. Can someone help me!!
:lol: Not if it is smoking bad and using oil.......Probably and major overhaul is in store for it...or a replacement. 2 gallons is 8 quarts.......probably doesn't hold over 8 or 9 quarts.

I had an Internationl 460 like that. It was handy because I never had to figure out what to do with the used oil

I have a 175 Massey the same way. Probably ready for the major overhaul, like vet says. Either rings or valve guides, or both. Good side is the oil vapor keeps my old 68 Hayliner from rusting up any more.

There is one thing I can think of to consider
What has the usage been like in the previous 6-12 months?

If its been unused ,could the lower sections of the bores have rusted and destroyed the oil control rings when started?
Fix for that is to take the injectors out and pour a couple of cups of diesel into each cylinder ,leave for a day and slowly turn over by hand,well a spanner or crank might be easier actually.

Could condensation inside the motor have put a lot of water in the oil?If so it would probably boil off quickly and after the oil is topped up useage would reduce dramatically. the oil would be milky grey.

Could a leaking head gasket have put water in the oil while you used it previously?

Where does your hydraulic system get its oil? Does it draw from the engine ? probably not but if it did it might be leaking.

Is there any coming out of the bottom of the bell housing? That might tell you the rear oil seal is worn and oil coming out going uphill or if operated pointed downhill maybe the front oil seal is shot.Is the oil filter on tight.

Some motors leak oil in a big way from the turbo bearings or compressor bearings if fitted.
Thats about all I can think of

What weight oil are you running? I find that tired iron and the multi viscosity oils do not mate up for any length of time. How much blow by are you observing? Is there any wet oil coming out the exhaust?

Well, here the story on the tractor. It was purchased last fall from an estate auction and an old man had it kept inside and seen very little if any work other than brush hog about a 3 acre lot once or twice a year. Filters were really bad and all filters and fluids replaced. It has 1900 some odd hours on it. It leaks a little diesel fuel but thats probably some loose bolts and needs looked at. But the oil problem is really worrying me. I am using 15-40 diesel oil. The oil pressure seems good until oil gets real low. The motor is strong until you go uphill pulling a load. I would not think it would need overhauled do to the hours on it, but maybe the lack of normal use has something to do with it. I don't think the is any oil coming out the exhaust (no has hit me in the face) but it smoke real bad when pulling hard. More than a normal tractor. Don't know much bout engines other than the filters and fluids need changed often and minor repair stuff. So open to ideas or thoughts.

Wick":11dnv2za said:
Well, here the story on the tractor. It was purchased last fall from an estate auction and an old man had it kept inside and seen very little if any work other than brush hog about a 3 acre lot once or twice a year. Filters were really bad and all filters and fluids replaced. It has 1900 some odd hours on it. It leaks a little diesel fuel but thats probably some loose bolts and needs looked at. But the oil problem is really worrying me. I am using 15-40 diesel oil. The oil pressure seems good until oil gets real low. The motor is strong until you go uphill pulling a load. I would not think it would need overhauled do to the hours on it, but maybe the lack of normal use has something to do with it. I don't think the is any oil coming out the exhaust (no has hit me in the face) but it smoke real bad when pulling hard. More than a normal tractor. Don't know much bout engines other than the filters and fluids need changed often and minor repair stuff. So open to ideas or thoughts.
There is your problem and it is a common mistake alot of people make with tractors and vehicles
you take a car that someone has had and just drove to town and put very few miles on and you buy it and start driving it like a normal person and before long you have a vehicle with a junk motor that is using oil
tractors are the same way the cylinder walls and everything else in the engine get build up and when you go to really using it all the build up comes out and the engine goes to using oil
friend bought an IH tractor about the same a yours I looked at i with him and told him I wouldn't buy it because it hadn't been used hardly at all
well he went ahead and bought it and started brushogging and moving hay and really using the tractor like it should of been used lass than 200 hrs later he had to have the engine overhauled

I would rather buy a tractor with high hrs that has been taken care of than an older low hr machine same with vehicles a higher mileage vehicle thta is driven the way you drive is far better than Granny's sunday driver

I would take it off the multi viscosity oil and run regular 30 weight such as Chevron Delo 30 wt. I also caution you on letting the oil get low enough for the oil pressure to starts dropping. Oil is expensive but far cheaper than metal. Possibly the engine has ran hot before your bought it and the rings damaged. I assume the engine starts readily? What color is the heavy smoke that comes out the exhaust? Is the engine operating temperature in the safe zone? Did you reply regarding the blowby question?

Don't know what you mean by blow by, and the exhaust smoke with a hard pull is black. The temp. gauge stays steady at the normal temp. Not hot not cold in the middle. And it fires right up everytime. Does not miss or sputter, just looks like a coal train pulling a hill when in use. If something in the motor needs looked at what would it be, (rings, pistons, what?) and would it be more cost effective to rebuild something like this and get good results (by someone who knows what they are doing) or just resale or trade for something else. What would a rebuilt or new engine cost? Thanks for your input everyone.

Find a good diesel mechaninc and haul it in and have it checked out. The black smoke (fuel) when pulling a load could be as simple as a fuel filter or as expensive as injector/pump problem.

The black smoke is from the diesel fuel not being burned completely. As Dun stated it could be just a dirty air intake filter or a rat nest in the air intake canister. Then again it could be the fuel injector timing. Blowby is the compression that escapes by the rings into the crankcase. There will be a vent tube that typically opens downward under the engine. From this tube you should be able to witness some fumes exiting. The amount of fumes often is indicative of the condition of the rings and the piston sleeves. A compression test on the engine would be well worth the expense. An in frame overhaul would not be out of the question on a low hour engine even though the tractor year model dates back. There could be many years of use left in the machine. A good mechanic can tell you a lot about the tractor by observing it.

black smoke under load is fine..maybe a dirty filter or not but not your problem. its not makin it burn oil.
if it isnt smokin blue then its not burning it either
the tractor likely has a blowby tube...when its running it should have some small amt of smoke coming out when its running. could the tube be plugged somewow??
im still thinkin bout it but the black smoke wouldnt bother me unless its hindering startup and smokes like crazy when its idling..as for the oil useage....excessive blo by could be pushing it out the tube when its under load...

does the machine have a vapor recovery system for the crankcase..it could be suckin it in and burning it and it wouldnt be enough to be very noticeable

More than likely the valve guides and seal are worn on this tractor as is the rings as it hadn't seen any hard use until he got it and I would say that a lot of the oil is going thru the valves
also the black smoke can be excess fuel and it could have washed the cylinders and therfore it will use oil and not ALL blue smoke is oil as I have had injectors and pumps fail and when you de-accelrate they will blow Blue or Blueish white smoke from the excess fuel not being burnt

as I said before I would say this tractor needs going thru if it is consuming that much oil and from the
history of the easy life it had before he purchased it
I have had several diesel engines that never blew smoke unless under a hard strain or at an Idle that had to be rebuilt and used excessive amounts of oil

but like was said earlier it should be showing signs of blowby

Angus Cowman":3w27le67 said:
More than likely the valve guides and seal are worn on this tractor as is the rings as it hadn't seen any hard use until he got it and I would say that a lot of the oil is going thru the valves
also the black smoke can be excess fuel and it could have washed the cylinders and therfore it will use oil and not ALL blue smoke is oil as I have had injectors and pumps fail and when you de-accelrate they will blow Blue or Blueish white smoke from the excess fuel not being burnt

as I said before I would say this tractor needs going thru if it is consuming that much oil and from the
history of the easy life it had before he purchased it
I have had several diesel engines that never blew smoke unless under a hard strain or at an Idle that had to be rebuilt and used excessive amounts of oil

but like was said earlier it should be showing signs of blowby

I would look for this to be the problem. If it was being used even as little as two times a year I would think it would be ok, but it could possibly need an overhaul.

Are you using the same brand oil that the old man had used previously? Quite a few years ago I had a Buick skylark with the 151 cast iron engine with 200,000 plus miles that used a little oil.As time went on I started weaning it off 10-30 gas oil and on rotella t 15-40 diesel oil because the drum of oil was handy. once when the barrel of rotella was empty I had picked up 5 gallon of Mystic 15-40 and I happened to change the oil in the old Skylark with that and it started smoking and I couldn't hardly put oil in it fast enough. I finally changed the oil again putting the rotella t 15-40 back in and it went back to maybe a quart per thousand like before. Granted the engine was worn but made me a believer that all oils are not created equal and stick with the same brand of a quality oil. I wouldn't disagree with the straight 30 weight advice either.

If the tube coming down beside of the engine that drains some smoke (blowby) is that right. If it is I have seen some what appears to be oil dripping out of there. May have been diesel, it was dirty could not really tell (I tried to smell it) did not help. I picked up new fuel filter to put on this morning as I thought maybe some of the lose of power and heavy black smoke may have something to do with the fuel filter. Will replace that ASAP. I think I will check on the oil level regularly until we are done with the first cutting of hay. About 40 acres left. Then haul it in and have it looked at. Seems an awful good tractor if we can get this problem fixed. I don't know as what the old man used for the oil. But unless someone can talk to the dead I probably won't be able to find out. So there ya have it. A rebuild kit should fix any and all problems with the main part of the motor? Is this correct? Thanks again.

Wick":1e1x9cii said:
If the tube coming down beside of the engine that drains some smoke (blowby) is that right. If it is I have seen some what appears to be oil dripping out of there. May have been diesel, it was dirty could not really tell (I tried to smell it) did not help. I picked up new fuel filter to put on this morning as I thought maybe some of the lose of power and heavy black smoke may have something to do with the fuel filter. Will replace that ASAP. I think I will check on the oil level regularly until we are done with the first cutting of hay. About 40 acres left. Then haul it in and have it looked at. Seems an awful good tractor if we can get this problem fixed. I don't know as what the old man used for the oil. But unless someone can talk to the dead I probably won't be able to find out. So there ya have it. A rebuild kit should fix any and all problems with the main part of the motor? Is this correct? Thanks again.
That is correct
last perkins I rebuilt wasn't all that costly on the parts

Latest posts