Tractor Supply

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I know the Tractor Supply topic has been discussed before, but I was in our local store today when a man walked up to a young associate whom I know and asked if they had any onion sets. The young man, who isn't yet 20, didn't know what onion sets are. As it turned out, the store doesn't carry them. I admonished the young man, jokingly, for working in a "farm" store and not knowing what onion sets are! But, as we've discussed before, my experience has been that the employees are non too agriculture savvy. In fact, ag products aren't what you see as you enter the store. The sidewalk is lined with riding mowers and go-carts, and as you enter, to the left is toys and to the right is a clothing dept. Your local feed store it ain't. Enough of my ramblin'.

Very true! The same issues are prevalent in hardware stores, home improvement centers, lumber yards, etc.

The allegedly "main" qualification for any number of those stores is being alive, come to work every day, be able to lift 50# by yourself, and operate a cash register and be willing to wear one of those colored smocks or aprons. Occasionally, however, you run into a clerk that actually knows his/her SxxT.

The people that "know" what stuff is and how to use it are probably still self-employed as a tradesman or woman, or working at the farm or ranch.

The "Ask Me" little badges are somewhat oxymorons...

What grabs me is after I go to any given store 2-3 times, I usually know exactly where stuff is. Some clerks haven't a clue as to what is stocked in the next aisle away from their protected territory...

cattleluvr18":2isrst6h said:
thats sad to work in a farm store and not kno what onion sets are. god....what has the world come to?

I'm guessing its not an assortment of different bulbs.

I don't know what an onion set is but I have gone in there to get a bottle of Dextrose, couldn.t find it. So I asked for help they took me back to the section I was looking in and looked at bag balm, Vit. A&D and on and on then they asked my what dextrose was, I thought you learned that anything ending in ose was a sugar in biology. I finally found it without their help

The one here in Stephenville...everybody in that store knows the answers to any questions I have, even the dingy acting girls running the cash registers. And the employees always stop and ask me if there is anything they can help me with. Maybe it's the Stephenville store's management...plus, in Stephenville and Erath County, with all of the dairies, they aren't the only game in town.

Alice

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2du26r6s said:
The only thing those clowns can find in the TS store I go to is a left handed crescent wrench.

You're lucky they carry them. Most people don;t even know they exist.

dun

dun":17mrjja1 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":17mrjja1 said:
The only thing those clowns can find in the TS store I go to is a left handed crescent wrench.

dun
Yup, just like sending a new Ensign fresh out of Annapolis to the supply room on the ship for a bucket of steam.

I love TSC. It's constantly sending us new customers. Some of them kids working down there think a "U-Joint" is something you can smoke. All they are anymore in MOST places are a glorified Hardware store with no experienced help.

Caustic Burno":1upyzuv7 said:
J.T. let's do a road trip to the Erath County TS store and play stump the chump . Be interesting to find out if the store is an anomly.

Caustic I have been in that one several times and it is suprising. Weatherford is quite good.

The one in Benbrook is the worst in this area. It is tiny and full of clueless help much like J.T. describes. Burleson is a close second.

Granbury's is brand new and the jury is still out. They don't carry 20 foot sheep panel. They only carry 16 foot "Utility" panel. They said they'd get me the 20 footers if I ordered 25 or more and I would have to wait a couple of weeks. So I drug the G/N through Tin Top on up to Weatherford. Having one right here in Hood County hasn't done me much good thus far.

AngusSenorita":773s42nb said:
I don't know what an onion set is but I have gone in there to get a bottle of Dextrose, couldn.t find it. So I asked for help they took me back to the section I was looking in and looked at bag balm, Vit. A&D and on and on then they asked my what dextrose was, I thought you learned that anything ending in ose was a sugar in biology. I finally found it without their help

Onion Sets are either (a) Just the dormant bulb of a onion about 1/2 - 3/4" diameter, usually sold in a bag of 50 or 100; or, (b) a bundled of the bulbs that have been raised at the nursery with about 4-6" green sprouts on them. These bundles are usually 50 to 100 each tied together with a string.

They don't teach anything in school anymore that's common sense or practical...just "Teach The Test" so school average can be higher to improve status of school. Many parents don't have a clue either when it comes to fostering their kids common sense and practicality... Welcome to the 1990's and beyond...

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":l0c3nj65 said:
dun":l0c3nj65 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":l0c3nj65 said:

dun
Yup, just like sending a new Ensign fresh out of Annapolis to the supply room on the ship for a bucket of steam.

Or a length of shoreline/waterline, or relative bearing grease, or to the galley to see Gaylord.

dun

I kno, none of the employee's have any knowledge on hardly
any of their products. I went there the other day needing a
oxy bottle exchange, guy came out with a bottle of c25, wth lol?

Crowderfarms":1rcxwhnf said:
I love TSC. It's constantly sending us new customers. Some of them kids working down there think a "U-Joint" is something you can smoke. All they are anymore in MOST places are a glorified Hardware store with no experienced help.

They target the hobby farmer market I refuse to support them.
Call TSC at midnight and see what you get.
I get service with my local feedstore.

Caustic Burno":1q8czg1g said:
Crowderfarms":1q8czg1g said:

They target the hobby farmer market I refuse to support them.
Call TSC at midnight and see what you get.
I get service with my local feedstore.
If I could find another dealer of Diamond Dogfood for my Rat Dogs, I'd never darken their door again. Fayette Grain and Feed is where I go for all my feed needs. Fayette Farmers Coop is where I buy my other farm supplies.

We don;t have a TSC anywhere around here, but we had an excellent farm store. The old fart that owned it since it was started retired last year and sold it. They have the same employees as they used to have but now non-one knows anything. If it wasn;t for a couple of folks there that have become freinds of mine over the years I wouldn;t be able to get any answers or help. If the managment scukcs, no mater how good the employees are, they're eventually going to get the same way. I used to do a ton of business at that store, npw I may get there once a month or 2 or 3. Prices also went up. Right after the ice storm they even raised their prices on chainsaws, now they're back down again.

dun

Alice":1qf6oyqm said:
The one here in Stephenville...everybody in that store knows the answers to any questions I have, even the dingy acting girls running the cash registers. And the employees always stop and ask me if there is anything they can help me with. Maybe it's the Stephenville store's management...plus, in Stephenville and Erath County, with all of the dairies, they aren't the only game in town.

Alice

I wish that were my experience. At the one in Cleburne, there is one older lady who is very dedicated and knows what you are talking about. The rest are high school students who scatter when you walk through the door. When you do find one, it is usually the unfortonate young person who wasn't aware enough to escape! Is that the guy you want helping you???? The one in Burleson is a little better.

Latest posts