Tractor Supply

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.":to5b966p said:
I didn't know you could save money on feed at TSC. They are higher on feed prices here than the Co-Op or any of the locally run feed stores.

I've found the same thing too. TSC is always cheaper on wire and sometimes wood posts, but for all my feed I hit the Co-op.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":n5zxivm0 said:
dun":n5zxivm0 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":n5zxivm0 said:
The only thing those clowns can find in the TS store I go to is a left handed crescent wrench.

You're lucky they carry them. Most people don;t even know they exist.

dun
Yup, just like sending a new Ensign fresh out of Annapolis to the supply room on the ship for a bucket of steam.

Can't help but share . . . We were playing the "bolt stretcher" trick on one of my ag students one time. We sent him to the office to ask the principal (a former ag teacher himself, who would play along), but he wasn't in. The asst. principal offered his assistance, but had no clue there wasn't such a thing as a bolt stretcher. He went so far as to come out to the shop to get a description. You should have seen me trying to describe something that didn't exist -- he bought it and left to go look in the principal's truck. When he came back to the shop, it was all we could stand -- we broke out in hysterical laughter. Go figure a guy with a MS fell for it.

When I was a mechanic I used to call the local NAPA store and order make believe parts. I orderd a thermomalater valve once. The whole time the clerk was looking it up I kept asking him if he was sure they had one. He swore they did and even told me he knew they had them in stock becasue he had just seen one on the shelf.

About 30 minutes later the store manager called back wanting to know exaclty what we were looking for becasue he had never heard of what his clerk was telling him we ordered.

Almost as much fun as the time I ordered blinker fluid. :lol:

But not as much fun as when I aksed the clerk at wally word for chemlight batteries. :lol:

3MR":kodk64uf said:

But not as much fun as when I aksed the clerk at wally word for chemlight batteries. :lol:

30 years ago I hired on a huge construction site. I had already heard all the tales of folks sending welder's helpers for spray cans of "arc start", and pipe fitters send helpers for "pipe stretchers." They were always sending kids for "sky hooks". I don't remember them all but there was a long list.

One day my journeyman sent me to the main tool room to get a "knock out set." I thought, yeah right. I went and goofed off for about 20 minutes and came back. He asked, "Where's the knock out." I said, "Do you think I am that stupid?" Man did I get in trouble. He went to the tool room and came back with a knock out set.

I've sent my ag students on a lot of wild goose chases, too. They've looked for the wood welder and board stretcher. One day, I told the special ed teacher that I couldn't leave school because we were in the middle of a project so I asked her to run to the hardware store to pick up a set of pig shoes. I called the store owner who is a big practical joker and he played along. When she got there, she asked where the pig shoes were and he told her. After spending several minutes looking for them, she came to the front of the store to explain that she couldn't find any pig shoes. That's when the guy told her that there is no such thing. The "spit and whittlers" that hang out there had a good laugh!!

J. T.":36uefd5e said:
I've sent my ag students on a lot of wild goose chases, too. They've looked for the wood welder and board stretcher. One day, I told the special ed teacher that I couldn't leave school because we were in the middle of a project so I asked her to run to the hardware store to pick up a set of pig shoes. I called the store owner who is a big practical joker and he played along. When she got there, she asked where the pig shoes were and he told her. After spending several minutes looking for them, she came to the front of the store to explain that she couldn't find any pig shoes. That's when the guy told her that there is no such thing. The "spit and whittlers" that hang out there had a good laugh!!

Y'all are mean!!! That's funny, though. Like going on a snipe hunt and find a wampus cat!

When I was in the 11th grade I started to work in a shoe store in the downtown. That was when they actually had downtowns and Petula Clark sang about it. The word "mall" had not been invented. Another boy soon started and the store owner sent him to borrow the "shelf stretchers" from another store in town. Come to find out there were about 7 or 8 of the local store owners on the street that would play the game and that poor kid ended up walking from one end of town to the other before he came back without them.

backhoeboogie":391817d9 said:
3MR":391817d9 said:

30 years ago I hired on a huge construction site. I had already heard all the tales of folks sending welder's helpers for spray cans of "arc start", and pipe fitters send helpers for "pipe stretchers." They were always sending kids for "sky hooks". I don't remember them all but there was a long list.

One day my journeyman sent me to the main tool room to get a "knock out set." I thought, yeah right. I went and goofed off for about 20 minutes and came back. He asked, "Where's the knock out." I said, "Do you think I am that stupid?" Man did I get in trouble. He went to the tool room and came back with a knock out set.

Don't forget "stainless steel magnet".

There really is a purpose for all that 'Hazing'.
When you are through with it, you know everyone you need to know. On the construction site or in the retail community, you have now met everyone you'll be doing business with.
The search for "shelf stretchers" and "muffler bearings" just took you past everyone who will be important to you in your job. They met you and you met them. Not a bad system, as things go.

Couldn't Resist Adding Some More "Gofer" items:
  • 1. Bucket of Liquid Ice
    2. Left-Handed Monkey Wrench
    3. Steel Rope
    4. Package of Water Crystals
    5. Gallon of Inert Gas
    6. Rubber Pitchfork
    7. 5# of Electric Nails
    8. Box of Dehydrated Water
    9. Some 6" Side-Cutters
    10. Grounding Clips
    11. Box of 16d Headless Screws
    12. Roll of Plumber's Strap Without Holes
    13. Three Sticks of 1" Diameter Wooden Sucker Rod
    14. Aluminum Magnet
    15. 5# Headless Rubber Nails
    16. Soft Rubber Framing Hammer
    17. Package of Reverse Thread 2" Screws
    18. Box of 3" Vacuum Nails
    19. 50' of Self-Coiling Chain
    20. Handsaw Sans 10 Teeth

I must be bored...

I have always had pretty good service at the Tractor Supply Store that I deal with in Hillsboro. I also like the fact they send you a year end summary of your buy's for your tax man. I still only use these guys when my local, locally owned and operated feed store (Triple-H) doesn't have it. You used to be able to save a few bucks on sack feed at Tractor Supply but, in the last year, they have raised prices. Right now, a sack of cubes are the same at the local place. I just feel better spending my cash with the guy struggling to make ends meet than the big box guys.

Oh, and the Triple-H has plenty of Onion Sets!! How about a small bale of Coastal for $11.50??????? Who would have thought it. Texas Gold used to be oil.......

J-Four Ranch":2vx0n3li said:
I have always had pretty good service at the Tractor Supply Store that I deal with in Hillsboro. I also like the fact they send you a year end summary of your buy's for your tax man. I still only use these guys when my local, locally owned and operated feed store (Triple-H) doesn't have it. You used to be able to save a few bucks on sack feed at Tractor Supply but, in the last year, they have raised prices. Right now, a sack of cubes are the same at the local place. I just feel better spending my cash with the guy struggling to make ends meet than the big box guys.

Oh, and the Triple-H has plenty of Onion Sets!! How about a small bale of Coastal for $11.50??????? Who would have thought it. Texas Gold used to be oil.......

How about a small bale of coastal for $11.50 chock full of grassburrs! :(

Alice

Paying that kind of money for Hay with stickers would definitly hurt my feelings. My big rolls I have left are some cut off my nieghbors place that was nothing more than native, johnson grass. I started throwing out a couple of bales of Coastal to my cows as a "treat" when they came up to the pen but no more. After the recent cold spell (17 degress in Hillsboro last night) they don't care what kind of hay is out there, they have been cleaning it all up.

Latest posts