tractor size

Help Support CattleToday:

nobull82

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen a post similar to what I'm asking but I can't find it in the search so bare with me. The only piece of equipment I have is a skidloader and it works great but now since I'm growing my herd I was wondering what a good all around tractor size would be for feeding round bales to hauling manure and to be big enough that if I decide to do some round baling I can or even run a feed wagon or TMR. I would like to get a tractor to do everything for my needs now and into the future.

You'll probably get a lot of different answers, and like with many things there's a trade-off. A larger tractor will handle a larger load, but bigger than necessary is awkward and added unnecessary expense.

I have an old 45 horse Deutz that I use for round bales, but almost all my hay is 4x5 rolls. I have used it to load the big ones, but I wouldn't want to do it very often.

For what you described I'd recommend something about 50 -60 horsepower.

It's hard to say as each situation is different. What works for you now may not be enough next year. I think a 60 hp pto and front wheel assist would be a minimum. You could run a little 4x4 baler with that. I do. To some that would still be a toy while others can manage with less in similar applications.

I usually feed 5x6 bales so they are plenty heavy for a light tractor. I've noticed the older tractors have so much more weight then the new tractors the same size. How much of a concern would that be?

nobull82":2qh3x4tb said:
I usually feed 5x6 bales so they are plenty heavy for a light tractor. I've noticed the older tractors have so much more weight then the new tractors the same size. How much of a concern would that be?

Heavier would be better or you will have to accommodate the lack of it. Horsepower is one thing but you have to get it to the ground to be of any use.

I was kinda thinking like a 3020 4020 756 806 966 something with weight but won't break the bank and there's plenty out there. Or would a newer lighter 4x4 be just as good

If your going to be using it as a feed tractor I would go with four wheel drive. The tractor I use to feed with is a 5303 JD two wheel drive and it is a pain when it snows or gets really muddy. I have a 6610 ford but it doesn't have a loader on it, it goes better only hauling one roll at a time takes awhile. Going to be buying some more cows this year but next year there will diffently be a new tractor in my budget. Been looking at Kubota's m8540 or something similar. Will diffently be a cab with four wheel drive and loader.

How much are you wanting to spend will give a better ideal of what can be recommended and how does the land lay that you are going to be farming? As some have said for an all around tractor no less than 55-60hp and that is for small equipment such as a 4x4 or 4x5 round baler.

No farming, just a chore tractor and possibly do some 5x6 bales in the future. I would like to stay under $20000

You might be able to find a good deal on a 60 hp for 20k but it won't be easy. I have an '05 2wd M6800 62 pto hp that I hope to get about 18k for and it was a little queasy handling round bales on the fel. 4wd is much better. I would agree that 60+ hp will do the majority of work you have.

I use a 95hp to bale 5x6 bales and wouldn't want anything smaller for the 5x6's. I do have a 56hp I load bales with as long as I got one on the back. For everything except the baling you can get by with a 60hp.

If you are talking 5x6 bales you should set 80 HP as a Minimum. We bought a MF 1105 2 years ago had it overhauled and did some Misc. work on the tractor and we are still under $7500.00 and I love it on our soft center 5x6 round baler. We bought a Case 1070 had it overhauled and it has new tires on it, a good powershift, cab and we are under $8,000.00 on it. Keep in mind that we knew the engines were bad when we bought them and are willing to work with old tractors. I appreciate the fact that the old tractors have the built in weight and the lugging power that is necessary on our hills. I also have a Case 970 gas that sure was nice on the sub zero days as it would start right up no matter the temperature. Now with that being said I have aspirations of getting a tractor with a good cab and 4 wheel drive after the kids get out of school, Maybe.

I guess I see a lot of jd 20 series and ih 66 series. Would those be worth looking at for 8-12 grand. I know there 2wd but not sure if I need 4wd but then again I rather just buy a tractor once and be done with it. I should say my pasture is pretty steep but shouldn't be up there if it's muddy anyway.

I agree with cowman. The equipment your talking about running is going to require plenty of horse power. You can get 120 horse tractor as cheap as you can a 60. Plus the 60 many times has been overworked.

Tough tractors, but not 4wd. Also can be expensive to work on. Same could be said of any of the old iron.

I would get a jd 5510 mfd ,most useful tractor I ever had on a cattle farm.

Latest posts