Tractor Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

When I bought my tractor I looked at JD, Kubota, and new Holland. All had good financing, 0% or .9%. I ended up with a new kubota, because they were the only ones that were made of 100% metal, JD and New Holland both had a lot of plastic on them. I did find them a little light but when I filled the back tires with whatever the liquid weight is these days it was fine. Kubota was also a lot less expensive then JD. I'm seeing a lot of Kubota's being bought around here. And I do love 0% money when I need something. :D

tom4018":355q3tif said:
bigrob":355q3tif said:
gonzo":355q3tif said:
I second Tom's motion don't buy some off brand you can't get parts for .deer 'ford,case, kabota all been around long enough to prove longjevity . Take it up with some of your neighbors, who dose the best service in the area ? I try to do my own work but if I can't get the parts right away its down time. I stick with johndeere there only 12 miles away and I can get alot of the normal shyt fom the auto parts store.

I don't plan on buying anything but kubota, jd, new holland or a case. I'm not new to tractors and the country life lol. I just want some of you guys opinions on the newer ones. Thank y'all for all the help
Check out the M7040.

:nod:

I have a New Holland and have been very happy with it so far. It is a 95hp so it has more than enough power for what I need but if I ever need it I got it.

tom4018":2wxvpyik said:
bigrob":2wxvpyik said:
gonzo":2wxvpyik said:
I second Tom's motion don't buy some off brand you can't get parts for .deer 'ford,case, kabota all been around long enough to prove longjevity . Take it up with some of your neighbors, who dose the best service in the area ? I try to do my own work but if I can't get the parts right away its down time. I stick with johndeere there only 12 miles away and I can get alot of the normal shyt fom the auto parts store.

I don't plan on buying anything but kubota, jd, new holland or a case. I'm not new to tractors and the country life lol. I just want some of you guys opinions on the newer ones. Thank y'all for all the help
Check out the M7040.

Ok will do. I take it this is what you have?

Alan":14uymgmv said:
When I bought my tractor I looked at JD, Kubota, and new Holland. All had good financing, 0% or .9%. I ended up with a new kubota, because they were the only ones that were made of 100% metal, JD and New Holland both had a lot of plastic on them. I did find them a little light but when I filled the back tires with whatever the liquid weight is these days it was fine. Kubota was also a lot less expensive then JD. I'm seeing a lot of Kubota's being bought around here. And I do love 0% money when I need something. :D

It's the same in my area, alot more orange where green used to run. I plan on putting wheel weights on it and water/ antifreeze in the tires to get my weight up if needed. I think also the kubotas are made in Atlanta, Ga as well so that's a big selling point to me as well.

HOSS":1qk6tdpm said:
I have a New Holland and have been very happy with it so far. It is a 95hp so it has more than enough power for what I need but if I ever need it I got it.

Thanks HOSS. I haven't looked at as many new Hollands as I have the kubota and John deeres

bigrob":38bkk8ls said:
tom4018":38bkk8ls said:
Check out the M7040.

Ok will do. I take it this is what you have?
Yes, 2008 M7040 with hyd shuttle and loader, 740 hours. Handles 5x5 bales good, a little light in the rear wit bigger bales. If you were doing tillage a lot you may want to step up in size, they are lighter than some others of the same hp.

bigrob":2krn8afd said:
Alan":2krn8afd said:

It's the same in my area, alot more orange where green used to run. I plan on putting wheel weights on it and water/ antifreeze in the tires to get my weight up if needed. I think also the kubotas are made in Atlanta, Ga as well so that's a big selling point to me as well.

I Own a Kubota M8540 HD1 Open station and love it. The tractor is made in Japan but Kubota does build the Loader here. About The only content on the tractor itself that is made in the USA is the wheels and tires. I looked seriously at the 7040 as well but decided i liked the features and capabilities of the 8540 and loader

Only the JD 5M and 5EL tractors are made here in the USA JD 5E open stations are made in India These are the smallest tractors that john deere builds in the USA all compacts are imports yes i know that JD makes riding lawn mowers that are made in the USA but i don't consider them tractors. NewHollands T4000's are made in Italy and the massey's 2600HD's are made in Brazil. Cheaper brands like Branson are korean made and Mahindra is India.

If you don't mind having collectable equipment JI Case is one of your better values.
Built well for the day, heavy for good 2WD traction, and not the right color for most people.
You still see some good 730 or 830 w/ loader outfits around.
Case IH carries the common parts.
And Kubota orange is almost a match for JI orange ;-)

I just bought a JI Case for the wife. :bday: The trucker called it old when we loaded but I pointed out it was made on the same year she was. He swallowed hard and said how nice the rubber was.

Might be a little heaver than your looking for but I have a New Holland TN 60A I have had for 6 years. Runs a disc mower, round baler with no problem. I can spread wet semi solid manure with a JD 455 hydra push spreader rounded right up, on hilly ground with this tractor with no problem. If you have a heavy enough tractor 4wd is not an issue. Also I have seen these tractors used with low hours for as low as $10,000.00. Check this out; http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-New-Hollan ... 43aeaa586f

Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies. Sorry I been so long getting back to y'all. I have been looking at the new holland tractors specifically the workmaster series. A lot of peoria seem to like the new holland tractor and they seem to be much cheaper than a John Deere as well. Anybody had any experience with the workmaster series? I'm still liking the Kubota too, I'd like to hear from some more folks on that too. Also I might add it will definitely have 4wd and a loader on it. Thanks guys

Look at Mahindra. Very heavy, strong, basic tractors. Their loaders will typically lift 50% than loaders in comparable tractors.

Also, don't get sucked into the 4WD hoopla.

Best place for this kind of information is tractorbynet.com

Went from a 2800 Yanmar to an L5300 Kabota w/fel, thought I died and went to heaven. Wasn't sold on the fel but it's one of the best add on it has. Could never handle big bales without it. Also, it a strain to off load super sacks 1600#. I can see how 4x4 could be helpful but I can make do without. Make sure you load the tires.

Ruark":1xmgw3q8 said:
4wd is the best thing I ever did, I think it dpends on your area and use of the tractor. Around here in the sloppy winters a 2wd tractor with a loader becomes useless.

tom4018":2rncandc said:
Ruark":2rncandc said:
4wd is the best thing I ever did, I think it dpends on your area and use of the tractor. Around here in the sloppy winters a 2wd tractor with a loader becomes useless.

You're right. But remember, our grandads worked big farms all their lives with their old 2WD 8n's. If you're getting into some real mud or slopes, a 4wd might come in handy - I should have pointed that out. What I meant to do was advise the OP not to get caught up in the mantra that a tractor absolutely, positively must be 4wd. Many people (especially tractor dealers) act like buying anything else is pointless, which of course is pure horsepatootie.

Ruark":28cpg8wy said:
tom4018":28cpg8wy said:
Ruark":28cpg8wy said:

You're right. But remember, our grandads worked big farms all their lives with their old 2WD 8n's. If you're getting into some real mud or slopes, a 4wd might come in handy - I should have pointed that out. What I meant to do was advise the OP not to get caught up in the mantra that a tractor absolutely, positively must be 4wd. Many people (especially tractor dealers) act like buying anything else is pointless, which of course is pure horsepatootie.
You bring up something with our granddads tractors, wonder how long some of this new stuff will be around? Nothing seems to be made as good as in the past, everything seems to be made light since the cost of steel went up.

yes our granddads farmed with 8ns an other makes of tractors.but yall are forgetting that if you ran them hard farming most had tobe overhauled every year or 2 to keep them going.

Both my grandpaws were dirt farmers in north MS all their lives. Worked from can to can't and neither owned a tractor. Don't recall one of them ever owning a motor vehicle. The other bought a new '41 ford pickup and that's what he had when he died in '65 @ 78 years old.
They were both fine ole gentlemen. One had 9 kids the other had 5. Most served in WWII.
I enjoyed spending time with them and I wish it had been more. I do remember one story about the first airplane he saw and he also saw the first lunar landing. That was amazing to me. They lived in a different era and normal life was extremely hard.

Latest posts