Tractor Recommendation

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray":1pb9shj9 said:
Whites are a bugger to repair? I always figured mine have been the easiest of all the makes to repair. I have always though that if White tractor were painted green and yellow they would have put every one else out of business. As far as 4wd, my 1105 has plenty of weight, but if I don't use chains in the winter and during spring mud then it can be pretty tough getting around.

I guess it would depend on the White, but the most popular around here are the 2- series and the 140s. The hydraulics, compared to most tractors, are a nightmare of specialty fittings, specialty hoses, tight spaces, and bruised knuckles. The clutch requires the engine and part of steering box to be removed, versus a simple split (like an 1105). The Hercules, while a good engine, are an iron block, so an in-frame rebuild is likely not going to be possible unless the cylinders only need light honing.

We just finished a clutch job on a 2WD 2-155 in the shop. At the same time, we had an MX-120 in the shop for a clutch. The MX120 was all over with in 7 hours by a good mechanic who had never done one. The 155 was two days by the best mechanic we have (quite frankly, one of the best in Western Canada. He did spend an hour or so helping the other fella with the 120) and he'd done a 2- series before.

So yeah, size for size, White tractors are a bugger to repair. Now I don't have any wrench experience with any of the small stuff White built (under 90HP), so I won't offer comments on that front. I know that the 2-45s and whatnot are hard to find jobber and reman parts for. We remanned a 2-45 water pump, since reman units are not available. End cost was $550, and thats only because we were able to save the shaft. Otherwise the water pump shaft was going to be another 250 bucks.

Rod

We have a John Deere 7420. It is a great tractor, has a great loader on it, and has plenty of power. Not sure what we payed price wise because dad handled all that. Works great with the RotoMix and to move bales and such. Has the "Range Selector" Transmission. We love it.

Latest posts