Tractor Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":2lp8un6g said:
skyhightree1":2lp8un6g said:
MudHog":2lp8un6g said:
It would, but I am looking for something newer model. The Ford 5000 stopped production in 1976 and I'm shooting for something in the 90's. I'm also shooting for MFWD, so that automatically gets me into the 80's. For example, the Ford 4600 was 4x2 from '75-'81. MFWD started with the 4610 from '82 to '89.

Ive mentioned before I sell used equipment mostly tractors and id rather have a ford 5000 over most tractors you've mentioned.. The only drawback is its not 4x4. Ford made some tough tractors. I bought a new Kubota last year had so many problems had almost 20 trips back to the dealer before it ever got 23 hours on it.
What do think the best value loader tractor of that size and age is?

My favorite all round tractors are the JD4020 and Ford 5000 so I am a little jaded on everything else. I have a few loader tractors and one im found on most often is the jd 3020 I like 4x4 on a loader tractor for sure but for work around the farm from getting silage brewers grain and moving dirt or hay in my area a 2 wheel drive works fine unless extremely wet.

This looks like a good deal. Not sure what the price is like, but looks clean. Originally I was looking at 2wd tractors. My thought was people with cattle used many of 2wd tractors before MFWD became available. Then after talking to people and letting my mind run around, MFWD seems like the better option for me with less risk of tearing up the ground of the tractor.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/5835483569.html

That's clean and loaders sure aren't cheap. Looks fair-upper price range, if everythings been went through. I don't mind working on one myself to save some money but it's not for everybody. That tractor is in God's country though lol. I'm sure some others can help you with an appraisal of it too.

MudHog":13ajp0a2 said:
This looks like a good deal. Not sure what the price is like, but looks clean. Originally I was looking at 2wd tractors. My thought was people with cattle used many of 2wd tractors before MFWD became available. Then after talking to people and letting my mind run around, MFWD seems like the better option for me with less risk of tearing up the ground of the tractor.

I'd say that is on the upper end which is fine as long as it has been restored to great condition. If it is just a paint job and stickers covering up years of neglect move along. 5000s are good tractors. Only thing I've noticed that is an inherent problem on older Fords is power steering leaks. Any tractor of that age can have issues though. At 10.5k your getting close to a Ford 6600 which is a more powerful and heavier. You get close to 16k and I'd vote to go with a used MFWD tractor. :2cents:

Good luck, the hunt is always more fun then the kill to me.

pricefarm":20krjmwd said:
littletom":20krjmwd said:
For those prices you could get a 2-3 year old 5085m deere open station. Big difference in a e and m. I bought one last spring good tractor.

What are the differences between then? Most of all the ones sold around here are E MODELS.

Frame rails not just the motor holding tractor together. External lift cyclinders, reverser, depending on model more gears, flatter platform, good bit of weight. Brakes engage fwd.

Sky what model kubota did u buy. Lots of them around here never really hear anything bad about them except there to light.

Cash is king. Payments out of the cattle budget make me nervous on cow/calf margins today. Payment would be $375 a month on $18000 not including interest. You might check some equipment auctions before you buy also to see what wholesale prices are.

RanchMan90":30s454ym said:
Cash is king. Payments out of the cattle budget make me nervous on cow/calf margins today. Payment would be $375 a month on $18000 not including interest. You might check some equipment auctions before you buy also to see what wholesale prices are.

This is my numbers crunching and thought process.

Cattle right now isn't something I need and not what I live off of. I'm 35 and still working with more years to go. My thought is start now to build for possible living off my cattle money during retirement. Use cattle money made now to pay my debts off while I am still working an can afford the note. At 35, my total debt is $80k and everything would be paid off. Not many 35 year olds with debt that low. Most houses alone surpass that easily. I can do a micro loan through the FSA and would be under $500/month for 7 years for $38k at 2.125% interest. My bay boat is up for sale, so that hopefully will give me $10k and reduce my FSA loan need or pay it off quicker.

The old iron is always better than the new. It will also hold its value, as well as be cheaper to work on. If 4wd is an absolute necessity in your area, then that complicates it a little. If you can make a 2wd work 706 IHC, 5-6000 ford.

MudHog":3auigq41 said:
RanchMan90":3auigq41 said:

This is my numbers crunching and thought process.

Cattle right now isn't something I need and not what I live off of. I'm 35 and still working with more years to go. My thought is start now to build for possible living off my cattle money during retirement. Use cattle money made now to pay my debts off while I am still working an can afford the note. At 35, my total debt is $80k and everything would be paid off. Not many 35 year olds with debt that low. Most houses alone surpass that easily. I can do a micro loan through the FSA and would be under $500/month for 7 years for $38k at 2.125% interest. My bay boat is up for sale, so that hopefully will give me $10k and reduce my FSA loan need or pay it off quicker.
That's basically my plan also for the cattle to be a supplemental income when I retire. I get your business plan of just building equity til retirement. The cows should tote the note and perhaps rent, if you can feed them out of your pocket. I was very fortunate to be able to pay off my house and little piece of dirt working in the natural gas industry when it was booming and try to keep a low overhead with my little job at home now.

ok on the sub of new tractors vs used.in 2013 i traded for a 7040 SU because i was going to trade anyway.i didnt want to deal with the teir 4 but it wasnt a deal breaker.things i should done got cast wheels and cab but didnt.my tractor listed for $42,000 paid $34,000.the payment went up less than $100 month from my old payment.swallow hard and get a cab.im wanting a used 95hp kubota 2wd cab tractor in the future.

MudHog":3klika6z said:

That's a $7500 tractor. Fine for what it is, but the 10 series (especially the II's) have got some improvements on them for not a whole lot more money - notably a lot better hydraulics.

cfpinz":24tod3da said:
MudHog":24tod3da said:

That's a $7500 tractor. Fine for what it is, but the 10 series (especially the II's) have got some improvements on them for not a whole lot more money - notably a lot better hydraulics.

Thanks. I am considering the 30 series more than the 10 series. How do those two compare? 30 series worth the money or should I be looking more at the 10 series? I want shuttle shift and 2wd/MFWD is sort of up in the air.

Never owned a 30 series, but 6th and Reverse on high side are directly across from each other on my 7600/7610/7710. I can go forward/reverse in those tractors just as fast as the 8260 which has a left hand reverser.

D2Cat":383uujv2 said:
MudHog, this would last you a long time for your needs. Have it trucked down and still be under budget.

https://kirksville.craigslist.org/grd/5852158141.html

That is what I have basically M7970 . It is a great tractor has everything on it you need, reliable, plenty of weight. Very comfortable to operate. The large roof gives good shade.

Ken

So I know LS claims they are the same as a NH. All of our larger tractors are NH and one place I lease the landowner has an LS. Side by side I can find VERY few similarities between the two and they are the same year and hp. I mean, sure, it's a tractor I've used it to bush hog a little and fill the creep feeder every so often. It does the job find but it is extremely light in the back end. A thousand pound bag of feed will make it very light on the rear on flat ground. A 4x5 bale is not much fun either on hills. As far as the cab I found it to be small. I'm 5' 9" and I almost bump my head on the roof. The seat has to be the most uncomfortable thing in the world! Mechanically like I said it's a tractor. There's things that look like they'd be a PITA to get to and there's other things that don't look that bad. Warranty wise the owner has nothing but good things to say but he'd only had to take it in a couple of times.

I've known several people with Mahindra and what I've gathered is that there warranty is for sure iffy. Biggest complaint I've heard is about the A/C system. More than once I've been approached to look at Mahindra's for folks and I always do my best to politely decline. I think you get what you pay for to a point when it comes to tractors. I like JD and a lot of our equipment is Deere. I don't like the price for what I'm getting with their tractors though. For the money I've found NH to be hard to beat. You can get a good tractor with around 1,000 hours or so for what you'd give for a JD with 8,000 hours. There quality is good and they are comfortable to run all day long. I haven't run into anything yet that has been too hard to work on but all of mine are pre DEF. Just my :2cents:

Mudhog,
Ran into this today. New Holland workmaster 55, nice looking rig with only 268hrs. No loader but I figure for the price and condition you could try and get him to price it with him adding it or find you one at your on pace. Woods makes a nice loader for this tractor that is quick attach.
https://memphis.craigslist.org/grd/5831791502.html

Latest posts