Tractor House price data ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looked at a Heston baler on Tractor House. Average auction price was less than $5K, asking price average was $14K. How do you read this huge price spread?

Stocker Steve":2js4srna said:
Looked at a Heston baler on Tractor House. Average auction price was less than $5K, asking price average was $14K. How do you read this huge price spread?

Does it have net wrap? If not, it will never go more than auction price. Dealers up here with twine-only balers apparently have 'name your price and get it off our lot' motivation - the asking price means squat. Some dealers don't even want them on trade. Local family got a new JD. Tried to sell their Vermeer K (good shape) at auction. Had a reserve at $8500. No one was going higher than $4500 - even that was too much for me.

bells an whistles is a big price breaker lets say i know some one who has an older chain type for sale pulled it outa the weeds oiled it ect... there asking 3500 min,it has net wrap but that part needs work .depends on the area you live in too.
oh i think they may coulda gave 900 for it !

jkwilson":y19ujrzu said:
Stuff that goes through the auction is the stuff dealers just want off the lot. Some of it doesn't even work.

I have bought some to that kind.

What benefit makes net wrap a must have ?

Stocker Steve":31bvrqfs said:
jkwilson":31bvrqfs said:
Stuff that goes through the auction is the stuff dealers just want off the lot. Some of it doesn't even work.

Speed. Save about 30-45 seconds per bale over twine. You do over 100 bales a day and you start saving a fair chunk of time. Also bales keep better if exposed to the weather over winter, or so they tell me.

Aaron":lh30f6ic said:
Stocker Steve":lh30f6ic said:
jkwilson":lh30f6ic said:

Speed. Save about 30-45 seconds per bale over twine. You do over 100 bales a day and you start saving a fair chunk of time. Also bales keep better if exposed to the weather over winter, or so they tell me.
Net is faster than twine to tie and it holds the bale together and sheds water better. I watched a couple hay ricks side by side last winter that was outside of a neighbor were part was net wrap and part was twine. For the extra cost, and I have more time than money, I was not 100% impressed that net wrap is the way to go. The net wrapped bales looked condition wise almost as weathered as the twine wrapped bales.

theres less waste where you will see the difrence is net will only have say 1 in or so of waste on the outside string will go much deeper there more than outside looks once you tear them apart you will see the difrence