tractor hard to start

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I have a kubota m4900. When I tried to start it today it fired right up but sounded like it wanted to run away. Real fast revolutions, then it died and would not start. I tried several times with no luck. Checked the fuel filter and the bowl was full. Finally I cranked it for thirty seconds and it fired up. Started up several times after that with no problems. Oh but I did get a flat on the left rear when I was driving it to the cabin . What a pain in the tail. This is my first diesel tractor but have had two diesel pickups and have driven diesel firetrucks for thirtyfive years.Has this happened to any of you.

Yep. The fuel line had a leak that over time, drained the diesel out of the line from the tank to the engine, leaving a bunch of air that you have to pump through before it'll start again. Worked good as long as it was used every day. If it sat a week or two without being started was when it happened. The dealer acted like it was a pretty common problem. When I described the problem, he seemed to know exactly what to do.

I agree that it is a fuel line leak, probably small. Mine was doing something similar, ended up replacing the sediment bowl assembly. I placed brown paper feed bags under tractor to help find the leak. Just a few drops will show up on the brown paper.

Fred

I agree with what's been said but I'd like to offer another potential problem IF this model has a split fuel tank. I had this happen to me this year and it had me scratching my head for quite a while. Symptoms were the same and if this happens when you are at half a tank check your vent hose to the tanks. Vent hose is a great place for dirt dobbers to build a nest and if they do your tractor will act just like it has a line leak but will only happen when its 1/2 tank or less.

My 9000 has a shut off at the sedimint bowl only takes a little trash to stop it up. It would run and die set a little while and start and die agin. One little screw holds it together.

Latest posts