tractor battery running over

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I have 1 of my tractor batteries running over. They are 6 volt in series (12volt system IH 706 tractor). The batteries are only 1 yr old and they checked out good. Could it be the voltage regulator? How do I check it? How full is a six volt battery supposed to be?

Could be over charge and could be just the heat. Most battiers have a little shelf in each hole with a slot. You are supposed to fill the bottom of that shelf.

Put a digital volt meter across the battery terminals and bring the rpm's up to about 1500. If you have more than 13.7 or 13.8 it is probably over charging.

Was this two battery setup a factory configuration or something you or a previous owner did? Generator or alternator as a charging unit?

Was this two battery setup a factory configuration or something you or a previous owner did? Generator or alternator as a charging unit?[/quote] It is a factory setup has delco remy alternator with external voltage regulator. I will check voltage around 4:00 when I get home. The battery that is leaking has water alittle high on that slot(maybe 1/8 inch), the other bat is lower than slot about 1/2 inch. I'll let you know on voltage. Thanks

RAWCJW":2us8lwcf said:
It's pulling 15.4 volts. So what's that mean? New voltage regulator? :(

Yeah, that's WAY high. I would definitely try another voltage regulator.

RAWCJW":1f0v808z said:
Thanks alot Flaboy! I'll order one today! :D :D

Over charge is just as bad if not worse than under charge. Battery life is shortened considerably usually by boiling the electrolyte out and ruining the plates.

I've actually had a battery explode because of overcharging.

Sounded like someone shot a 44 magnum under the hood of my old ford pickup.

Very dangerous cause it sprays the acid everywhere...get it in your eyes and you'll be hurtin.

Get it fixed pronto.

Latest posts