totally new

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know this is a very open ended question but: can a reasonable living be made cattle farming? Beef cattle not dairy. Me and my wife have discussed this idea for over a year and never really researched so I'm starting the research. Just give me any opinions advice you feel should be known for someone who has virtually know knowledge of this business.

Thanks!

I just don't know where to even start for advice and info. I am a teacher at a private school who does have a family that runs a cattle farm (200 head). I guess I should sit down and talk with them. So many questionsto ask that I don't even know. Can someone give me a starting point? We have 2 children and have wanted to live away from the city for a long time now.

I would be very hesitant to start this venture with a heavy debt load. I do think its possible to operate at a profit, but not easy. I do it as a recreational pastime, on a small scale. Its fun....but it do cost money! Best of luck, and remember you can ask all the questions you like on this board. I have recieved some very good advice and information here. There are many very knowlegable cattlemen and cattlewomen here. Welcome aboard. TRM

Don't borrow a lot (or any if you can help it) and talk to your extension agent. Research and find out as much as you can before you dive in. Good Luck.

There have been several of these type posts lately. I hesitate to respond but will try to offer some things I think would help.

1) If you can buy equipment on the halves in a partnership with a neighbor, it cuts your expenses and increases equipment budgets. You can do things like let him buy the disc and you buy the grain drill. Things like that. Sharing cost helps when you are getting started. Take good care of your equipment. If you borrow anything, take it back in better shape than what you borrowed it in.

2) Stay away from high dollar cattle. Go to a sale barn and see what cattle are worth. That is what your calves will be worth when you market them. Even if you have purebred, only about 10 to 20 % of the bulls are worthy of breeding stock. You need buyers for that small percentage and that takes some serious marketing skills. If you can get 20 steers together, you can find a buyer for them. It is hard to get someone to come out to a farm for 5 or 6 steers.

3) Try to market your stock to friends and family. If you can feed out the animals and sell them to friends for the freezer, you can get fair market prices. Otherwise it is the sale barn. This is a win win situation when you sell to friends. They get good beef cheaper than trash beef at the supermarket.

4) Have plenty of grass to support the cattle you attain. Too many folks rely on hay producers or feed stores. You go broke buying feed. If your grass can sustain your cattle year round, you are at a higher profit margin.

5) Learn all you can about taking care of cattle. They don't need much, but when they need help, they need it now. Don't rely on calling a vet at 2 a.m. It really helps if you can find an old cow hand around to help in dire situations. People call me thinking they are in dire circumstance and it is only a trivial problem that they don't know how to deal with. They could have come to this forum and found the solution.

6) Get yourself a good calving bull. If you get yourself a bull or AI from a bull that throws huge calves, you are in for problems. These problems occur at inopportune times. During rainstorms, or during your daughters wedding etc. 70 pound calves that grow well are good targets.

7) Go through every post in this forum that dun, Caustic Burno, msscamp and other gurus have posted. Even an old timer can learn an awful lot from others views.

8) When you don't understand something, ask. After you have read through this forum time and time again, you'll understand some of the terminology used here. It will help you ask the questions you need to be asking.

That's enough advice for now.

tncattle":2mpouie7 said:
I am a teacher at a private school who does have a family that runs a cattle farm (200 head). I guess I should sit down and talk with them.

This should be your first move. I don't have the know-how to help you much, but others will. Backhoe's post is on the money, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck.

Try offering some free labor...would be a good way to see if you really want to be around cows. Spring calving and work-up will give you some insight...be sure to have them call you at three AM when its cold and snowing to help with a difficult birth.
Working calves is way to much fun to be consideded work.
Just my two bits worth...DMC

-O.K. it seems that if you can feed your cattle on grass year round that is the best profitable way, right?
-Not sure how to even ask this but: what are or is the way to raise cattle and sale for profit? Do you have to raise them from birth or do you buy them young at a certain age and sell them at a certain age? What is the best way?

I don;t think there really is one "best" way. If thre was nobody would do the other parts of the package. Individual resources and conditions dictate what will work for one and not for another. The way to capture all of the available potential would be to raise them from birth to hanging. Each aspect of the business has it's own set of risks and financial rewards.

dun

tncattle,

In my opinion if you are going to have to borrow the majority of the money to get started. And if you dont already own your land. You are really going to be sitting yourself up to lose what ever money you invest in it.

I read somewhere that off a 100 head before your operating exspenses(feed, fuel, vet bills, repairs everyday exspenses) not land & equipment payments. That you could gross about $32000 on todays market. And i would say that would be on the high side.

Just my 2 cents worth.

And you might want to check into debth as to what this NAIS is going to have to do with cattle farming also. It is sort of up in the air with all kinds of rumors as to what kind of effects it will have on cattle farming in the near future to. It might not change nothing and it might cost more to deal with cattle in the near future.

You can make money make no mistake there are no free rides here. Being hard headed can cost you a lot of bucks quick. Find a mentor.
There is lots of money changing hands in the cow business the trick is getting it to stop in yours.
The biggest secret I can add to Backhoe's list it is totally about controling cost on the front end. You have no control over the commodoties markets you are wanting to play in.
You have to become a grass farmer first and foremost.
Get your infrastructure in place before you buy the first cow.
Stay out of debt.
Buy red cows

Buy red cows? What breed are red cows? What about Black Angus? SO how much $ would you need to start a herd of 100 if the land was already in place? I mean good grass land. How many acres will mantain 100 head of cattle?

tncattle":qos07boa said:
Buy red cows? What breed are red cows? What about Black Angus? SO how much $ would you need to start a herd of 100 if the land was already in place? I mean good grass land. How many acres will mantain 100 head of cattle?

The how many cows thing is variable depending on the quality of the forage, size and milking ability of the cowss etc.
Any quality red cow opens up whole vistas of possibilities, doesn;t matter the breed composition. If your market rewards black calves, use a homozygous black bull, if it's baldies (red neckers) use a Hereford, if they want reds, you've got the cows that will provide that.

dun

if you buy red you'll take a hitting at the sale barn.
Lim, Sim, Gert, Herf, RA, Maine, etc, there are lots of red cows
BA is the most popular breed right now.
Registered or Commercial. Depends.
It takes at least 1 acre per cow.

tncattle":1ooyvvo7 said:

buy 5-10 cows. learn as they grow. what are you going to do when 20 of them all have different problems and you have no idea how to fix any of them? fixing 2 seems more probable.

the cows will reproduce for free; it just takes a little time.

I believe you'd be better served by spending some time on a working farm and get some real world experience. Baling hay, working cattle, breaking ice in a 30 mph wind, pulling calves, building fence, etc. nothing beats actually doing these things. Then there's the business side of things - no regular paycheck, no employer provided benefits (i.e. insurance, retirement, vacation time).
Lot of stuff to think about...

*Cowgirl*":3v4mn9gn said:
if you buy red you'll take a hitting at the sale barn.
Lim, Sim, Gert, Herf, RA, Maine, etc, there are lots of red cows
BA is the most popular breed right now.
Registered or Commercial. Depends.
It takes at least 1 acre per cow.

Caustic was referring to up front costs. You can buy two red cows that calve in the fall cheaper than one BA cow that calves in the spring. Even if you convert them to spring calvers and take a six month stagnant hit, you are money ahead two years from now. It is two to one henceforth.

If you can make fall calvers work in your program like I can here in Texas, you are going to get your cows much cheaper. The bull you put behind those red cows is going to dictate the calf color. Put a black bull behind them and laugh all the way to the bank.

So, Black bull and red cows seems to be the most profitbale way? One acre per cow is the rule? You don't buy young and sell later? If you have good enough grass to maintain your heard without other feed, about how much $ goes into one cow from birth to selling? Thanks for answering my questions, I only have about 1000 more. :D Forgot to mention my wife has a job that allows her to do 98% of the work from home, with full family benefits, doesn't take much time at all during the day, usually no more than an hour. It is a steady $35K a yr. plus whatever the cattle business grew to.

Latest posts