Top seeding clover in southern middle Tn.

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I was looking at the UT seeding calendar for white and red clover. It says Feb. 1st through April 15th for seeding. Anyone in this area seed clover during those late times with success? We want to spray some areas for buttercup first. Is there anything at all you can spray that won't hurt the clover or pretty much everything will to some degree?

Drill white clover this spring in a pasture you haven't put nitrogen on. If you broadcast you may be disappointed.
2-4-D won't kill white clover but it may set it back a bit.

The earlier in that window you can get the better off you will be. If you drill it dont go deep at all. I have success broadcasting it on a snow. I'd say that is not an option in your area. Spring is probably upon us soon, or atleast I hope it is anyway

It's going to be 74 degrees tomorrow! but Saturday and Sunday night will be around 28-30 for the low. Would it be a good time to top seed clover that Saturday?

the reason they say to broadcast on snow when the ground is frozen is so the freezing and thawing action of the ground works the seed into the ground.

There are some areas where hay has been fed that are very muddy to say the least, should we seed those areas also? Or is it just wasting the seed in those areas?

tncattle":q6jr9szx said:
There are some areas where hay has been fed that are very muddy to say the least, should we seed those areas also? Or is it just wasting the seed in those areas?
If you don;t plant something there it will grow up in a lot of weeds.

Dumb question but I just don't know:

I assume the seed spreaders have settings for different kinds of seed. But how do you know how fast or what speed to drive the tractor?

cattlepower":20mzd2nc said:

I assume the seed spreaders have settings for different kinds of seed. But how do you know how fast or what speed to drive the tractor?
Most of them have specific information for speed/setting/seed

If the clover is the only seed you are planting it may be hard to broad cast. You only put a few pounds to the acre. You may want to mix the clover with something else. I have used sand a time or two. Most of the time I am also planting fescue anyway.

cattlepower":2frtijs9 said:

Well dang, the seeder has settings for different kinds of seed but I don't think I've ever thought about exact speed I should be going while spreading. How would I know about that? I just go what speed feels and looks right-- :eek:

If it's white clover you set it for the very least seed you can put out and drive as fast as you can.

You can still drill this spring.

We've been told to let the cows trample it in for 4-5 days but then what? Do they need to be moved off it completely? Or can we just leave a smaller number where we seed?

Latest posts