Too many fencer joules?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have right now a 6 joule fencer. We have between 10 and 20 miles of actual wire but if we cannot get in to spray fence lines due to rain the weed pressure is great. At times the amps are less than 4.0. I am thinking of going to a 15 joule fencer but is there any negatives to going to such a fencer on a limited fence?

Have you checked the voltage at the end of the line? There may not be much benefit in upgrading your charger.

I've started going with battery/solar fencers so I don't have to run much mainline.. it's good and hot where I need it.

Downside to a really hot charger is when you touch it!

1982vett said:
Nesikep said:
Downside to a really hot charger is when you touch it!
More like reaches out and touches you....... :???: :shock: :shock: :mad: :frowns: :devil2:

Yeah.. in wet boots with an aluminum irrigation pipe in your hand.. OUCH.. I've done that a couple times

Or the main hot wire catches around the barbed and you don't know it when you go to crawl through the fence

I got hit by a 16 joule charger one time. It was a religious experience. All electric fences are a mental barrier. I know it sure worked for me. I never got near that fence again.

Old CRT television anode was worst I ever got. Made my knees and teeth hurt.

shaz said:
I think they're like 25KV and dc.. so not a momentary pulse like a fencer. Fencers up their power while staying safe because they shorten the pulse to microseconds.

Nesikep said:
shaz said:
I think they're like 25KV and dc.. so not a momentary pulse like a fencer. Fencers up their power while staying safe because they shorten the pulse to microseconds.

Much longer than microseconds. 1/2 second or better I'd say.

No, the duration of the pulse is extremely short.. you'd get a pulse every second or so depending on the unit

https://gallagherelectricfencing.com/blogs/news/10228245-electric-fence-glossary
Scroll down to the On time/off time section

Nesikep said:
No, the duration of the pulse is extremely short.. you'd get a pulse every second or so depending on the unit

https://gallagherelectricfencing.com/blogs/news/10228245-electric-fence-glossary
Scroll down to the On time/off time section

I understand what your saying and where you got your info but if a pulse is say 50uS long and 10Kv the slew rate is really impressive like 200v/us. That's do-able but would a pulse that short actually shock anything?

It certainly would, it's not how long the pulse is but how many amps you can put through it.. Amps is what hurts, Volts makes it jump through the hair, etc...

If you have a capacitor charged up and you can deliver all that charge in half the time, you double the hurt... Where it gets tricky is the capacitance of the entire fence really gets up there which makes the slew rate drop, effectively dropping the peak voltage and eating up power

Latest posts