Too late for colostrum?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sulli

Reaction score
We had a cow that had twins on Friday and has deserted one leaving it for me. I did see it trying to suckle Saturday, but I'm not sure how much it got into its system. Is it too late to try to get some colostrum in its system? Is it worth it to try? I have been successful with getting it to take some milk by bottle yesterday and this morning. The calf probably weighs about 40 lbs. How tough will it be to keep it alive? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

For colostrum to do any good you need to get it into the calf within 24 hours. But at any more than 12 hours you are not going to get very good immunity. So if it hasn't had colostrum now, you are out of luck. You may be able to save it, but you will have an uphill road to deal with. Be on the ball and treat at the first sign of symptoms, don't wait for them to get obvious and you may save him. Keep feeding him, and watch for signs of dehydration, scours or breathing problems. Scours and pneumonia are most likely the biggest threats.

I've had a couple times when the calf never got colostum in the 1st 12 hours for differant reasons and they both got by OK .
I don't worry about it as much anymore but I agree that it is important for them to get it ASAP.
I agree with randilianna to keep a close eye on him and be ready to treat him.
It's a good idea to have some colostrum frozen and if the calf is'nt getting any I'll give him about 6 cups from a bottle usually between 4 and 6 hours .

Thanks to all of you for the helpful responses. I'm now wondering a few other things.
1. Is there anything I can give it to help prevent some of these problems (scours, pneumonia, etc.)? I've always thought of prevention as the best medicine so if I could prevent these things from happening that would seem better than doctoring after symptoms arise.
2. What is the best med for scours. I ask because one farmer who raises bottle calves told me that he uses pepto bismol along with scour pills- anyone else ever heard of this?
3. Finally, is there anything to supplement the bottle feedings? She is still weak and I was wondering if there is anything to help give her a little more energy/protein (for example I was told raw eggs might help)?

Again thanks for the help.

Prevention of scours....
scours is mainly a management issue. colostrum being the first defense. Second, is to keep the bacteria and virus threshold down. by doing this you minimize scours.
To achieve this you need to keep your cattle from getting stressed. Stressed cattle shed viruses from every opening in their body.
To minimize stress, good quality feed, not crowdind and if you are in the throws of calving, clean dry areas. If you calve all year round, make sure they have a lot of room. If you calve during a select time period like us, our calving area sees no cows for 6-9 months. Then they go in that area just before the start of the season. Then mothers and calves are separated from the animals that have not calved. They get a big clean area so as to not stress the immune system from the bacteria overload
Remember scour prevention is a management issue 98% of the time. If you have a problem, look at how you manage your cows and calves. This includes pre natal feeding, mineral management, ease of calving, clostrum that is good quality and recieved in a timely fashion, vaccinations of cows and calves, clean areas to calve, and space...alot of space. I mentioned ease of calving cause when a calf is born it is born with zero immunity. Nothing passes through the placenta. If a calf is stressed at birth, it is more apt to lay around than get up to suck right away. There have been studies done by Pfizer and other drug companies which measure the intake of clostrum and the birthing stress. They took several animals, ensured the calves all had the same colostrum. What they found was the the calves that were stressed at birth had less immunity than the calve which were not. the stresses included, birthing in the form of length of time, the ease of calving and the mothering ability of the mom and calf. When one or more of these were compromised, the calf had less immunity and did not fair as well in the feed lot later in life.

Treatment of scours is mostly to prevent secondary infections like pnemonia from setting in. Most scours are viruses and have to run their course. So you treat to prevent. To have on hand you should have several doses of elctrolytes. As well as a drench bag designed for calves. Next we have had much luck with sulfa based drugs. Our drug of choice for scours is calf span a three day pill form. It lasts for 3 days. We also give a shot of timedox/borgal/trivetrin. All the same but from different manufactures. These are sulfa daily injectables. Usually one shot with the calf span does the trick especially if you add in electrolytes. We also have on hand a anti inflam non steriodal. It helps with relieveing the fever.

For pnemonia, we use nuflor and an anti inflam. If this does not work we go to te vets in about 4 days and get something stronger. but that has yet to happen cause if it happens we are like white on rice in treating. We have had few cases of pnemonia since we started our vaccination program several years ago.
If your calf seems to get sick alot, get it checked for BVD or IBR. A result of lack of colostrum and the diease being passed on to the calf from the mother.

If you vaccinate your cattle, I would suggest talking to your vet about getting this calf done and when to do him/her. If you have never tubed a calf, now is the time to learn from your vet instead of in the heat of the emergency.

Okay on the Raw Egg note NNNOOOOOOO. Raw egg is animal protien. Cows guts are not designed to digest animal protien. They in all honesty are vegetarians. Hence the rumen in the guts. Sorry for the bluntness of this, but if have been through the BSE you should know this.
give this calf the required good qualitity replacer, with some hay and grass to get started on, then get the calf a good calf grain and start slow.

Eggs, when will we ever learn...?

I should mention, have a thermometer on hand. It will be your first diagnosing tool if you suspect a problem. As well, read up on scours. Different colors and consistency means different bacterias. There are afew that need different drugs...for example e cloi or codcidioisus (sp)

TNMasterBeefProducer":ovqscxu1 said:
Sulli":ovqscxu1 said:
We had a cow that had twins on Friday and has deserted one leaving it for me. I did see it trying to suckle Saturday, but I'm not sure how much it got into its system. Is it too late to try to get some colostrum in its system? Is it worth it to try? I have been successful with getting it to take some milk by bottle yesterday and this morning. The calf probably weighs about 40 lbs. How tough will it be to keep it alive? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

If it has had no colostrum you will be fighting a losing battle.

Not necessarily. It will require diligence, experience, and a very close eye, but it can be done.

rockridgecattle - that was an EXCELLENT post. I know I would not have taken that much time to explain all of that.
As he pointed out - you need to be feeding the BEST replacement you can get.
You can give the calf probias - which is "good bugs". I would give him some each day for maybe a week.
Do NOT overfeed the calf. That is the first thing that most new "moms" do & it will definately scour him. Read the label on the replacement & follow directions. Actually, it is best to feed 3X a day with less milk. Good luck.

Latest posts