Thawing colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
Look at that. Cooking question in calving.
We stored some fresh colostrum the other day. In Freezer bags, laid flat in the freezer.
This morning I thawed some in warm water but found that some of it had gelled in the freezer bag, to like a rubbery consistency.
Does that mean things have separated and it is no good? Or is there a better way of thawing it so this doesn't happen? Or is it normal to happen?

Look at that. Cooking question in calving.
We stored some fresh colostrum the other day. In Freezer bags, laid flat in the freezer.
This morning I thawed some in warm water but found that some of it had gelled in the freezer bag, to like a rubbery consistency.
Does that mean things have separated and it is no good? Or is there a better way of thawing it so this doesn't happen? Or is it normal to happen?
That's normal in my experience, if you warm it in hot water from the faucet (don't heat it) the gelled stuff should melt, I think it's the fat/cream.

That's normal in my experience, if you warm it in hot water from the faucet (don't heat it) the gelled stuff should melt, I think it's the fat/cream.
Yeah that's what I did, hot water from the faucet. Thought too that it might be the fat/cream, but it wasn't frozen it was a rubber like mass. It could be squished into smaller pieces but still stayed chunky.
Maybe something went wrong in the freezing process. I chucked it, just to be on the safe side.

I'll bet you cooked the colostrum. If the thaw water is too hot, the proteins cook like egg whites. Antibodies are protein, so most of the protective value of colostrum is gone.

Never thaw colostrum with water over 140 Fahrenheit. Try to keep it around 120.
That's most likely what happened. It ended up a boiled egg consistency....... so you may have hit the jackpot with your answer. =) Thanks.

Latest posts