Too gutty?

Help Support CattleToday:

The first bull is the better bull by a long shot, the shoulder rib attachment isn't perfect, but still very acceptable. He also has a much better loin and overall better shape to his muscle. The second bull is pencil gutted and his sheath certainly isn't what the Santas have been selecting for.

Actually, both bulls are fairly clean, certainly one is cleaner than the other but I don't think I would criticize either either of them for being sloppy in that department. The home raised is not the best calf we have ever raised, just giving a comparison pic. He is not the deepsest calf we've had, not even the deepest last year, but I wouldn't call him pencil gutted either. He was average in that department from last year's crop. He is long, the other calf isn't as long but his middle makes him look very short bodied. Like I said, I am considering using the first calf on some of my heifers because he is not related to my stuff. I will not be using the second calf on our place because he is not an exemplary calf from our blood, not bad by any means, but not the best we've ever had either.

Latest posts