Tom Petty

Help Support CattleToday:

I did not know who he was. Admittedly, I am not an avid fan of country music. I was exposed to country music because dad liked it but I had no idea who he was. In fact, like dun, my first thought was of the race car driver and I am less a fan of race car drivers than I am of country music.

However, the Crocodile Man was one of my all time favorite celebrities.

Bright Raven":3aqzcm5t said:
I did not know who he was. Admittedly, I am not an avid fan of country music. I was exposed to country music because dad liked it but I had no idea who he was. In fact, like dun, my first thought was of the race car driver and I am less a fan of race car drivers than I am of country music.

Rock music. He was quite adamant about that in an interview once.

"We ain't no punk band, we ain't folk rock, jazz rock, or any of that bullshit. Just rock, and we don't put no other name on it than that. We'd be stupid if we did," he told Rolling Stone in the '70s of his style,

Bright Raven":3lnwprwo said:

If he was country I would have probably known who he was. Only rock I listened to other then country rock was CCR.

Son of Butch":2oaftl11 said:
bball":2oaftl11 said:
Tom Petty age 66 NOT DEAD (yet)
Heart attack ...

Sorta/kinda.
His heart DID stop, but there was a reason for it.
Coroner's report was released today.
Overdosed on opioids.

Tom Petty, the chart-topping singer and songwriter, died in October from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications that included opioids, the medical examiner-coroner for the county of Los Angeles announced on Friday, ending the mystery surrounding his sudden death last year.

The coroner, Jonathan Lucas, said that Mr. Petty's system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.
https://www.nytimes.com/201...opioid-overdose.html

True Grit Farms":1w67q2e0 said:
Just another tragic ending for a talented dope head. They have it all and just can't find it.

Pretty much what I thought when I read it.
I guess fame, $$$$$$$$$$$, million dollar mansions and all the women throwing themselves at 'em just isn't enough.

Well so much for the feel good story by one treatment facility about how with their help and his sheer determination
he overcame heroin addiction and they knew Tom Petty had died sober from the influence of drugs.

Bright Raven":1m4aqfb3 said:
True Grit Farms":1m4aqfb3 said:
Just another tragic ending for a talented dope head. They have it all and just can't find it.

Having is not all it is bragged up to be.

The erroneous assumption that they "have it all". Perhaps, to the average guy who doesn't have millions, fame and all the women, it appears he had it all. But clearly, as with so many of these extremely successful, talented and gifted musicians, they do not have it all. Especially in an area so many of us take for granted; namely, mental well being, emotional strength enough to cope with the reality of 'having it all'. Perhaps having it all is NOT all it is cracked up to be.
I have often wondered why so many of those that are exceptionally gifted in the arts, are so often tortured with depression, drug addiction. There seems to be a correlation between fame/success and death/addiction in the music world. Is it the trade off, (the crossroads blues reference) your soul for the fame, fortune, and talent?

I wouldn't be to quick to judge, at least until I walked a mile in those moccasins; and from the looks of it, there aren't many of us that would fair much better. It would be interesting to know if Tom, at the end, felt the juice was worth the squeeze?

bball":3a8zl0ym said:
Bright Raven":3a8zl0ym said:
True Grit Farms":3a8zl0ym said:

The erroneous assumption that they "have it all". Perhaps, to the average guy who doesn't have millions, fame and all the women, it appears he had it all. But clearly, as with so many of these extremely successful, talented and gifted musicians, they do not have it all. Especially in an area so many of us take for granted; namely, mental well being, emotional strength enough to cope with the reality of 'having it all'. Perhaps having it all is NOT all it is cracked up to be.
I have often wondered why so many of those that are exceptionally gifted in the arts, are so often tortured with depression, drug addiction. There seems to be a correlation between fame/success and death/addiction in the music world. Is it the trade off, (the crossroads blues reference) your soul for the fame, fortune, and talent?

I wouldn't be to quick to judge, at least until I walked a mile in those moccasins; and from the looks of it, there aren't many of us that would fair much better. It would be interesting to know if Tom, at the end, felt the juice was worth the squeeze?

X2

bball":2lxhzyqh said:
Bright Raven":2lxhzyqh said:
True Grit Farms":2lxhzyqh said:

True, one never knows someone's situation until they walk in their shoes. I often wonder, however, why someone can't decide to back off a little when things get too tough? Some entertainers do; some slow down, some retire to focus on a more regular life. I wonder why all don't gave the ability to regulate their life?

Well, either way, he's now got only a hole in the ground or a nice cozy vase to reside in.

Millions of folks live in pain every day, manage it fairly well with and without opioids and don't end up the same way he and so many of the so called 'beautiful people' have.

herofan":13hwn7c4 said:
bball":13hwn7c4 said:
Bright Raven":13hwn7c4 said:

True, one never knows someone's situation until they walk in their shoes. I often wonder, however, why someone can't decide to back off a little when things get too tough? Some entertainers do; some slow down, some retire to focus on a more regular life. I wonder why all don't gave the ability to regulate their life?

Very relevant questions herofan? Is it an engrained lifestyle now? Is there something they 'need' that the lifestyle fulfills? Is it their main source of identity and self worth- self actualization? It's a fascinating topic. I believe, for the most part, they're like everyone else. Some can regulate, but many can not.
I see/deal with addicts everyday from every walk of life...opiods, alcohol, food, sex, caffeine, etc. Inability to regulate(moderate) is a hallmark of our society. People use any and everything to 'cope', escape, or accomplish whatever it is they're trying to accomplish. For some, it starts legitimately enough, but the pharmacodynamics of things like narcotics for example, dominate. (Again, FOR SOME, not all).

It isn't limited to rock either. Country music has a history littered with pill poppers, alcoholics, wife beaters, etc. Hip hop, pop music, and blues as well.

I am not an artistically creative person by nature. So people that can play and create music well fascinate me because my mind can not fathom that. I have often wondered at what price that creativity comes? Not all, but many of the truly creative (artistic) people I have known in my life were 'different' by conventional standards. Many struggle with being content, melancholy, depressed, etc..i wonder if this is a factor that contributes to the allure of drugs? All the drugs listed for TP appeared to be prescription meds for a variety of ails, but it is well known that TP was a marijuana aficionado.

Read he was trying to finish out his tour despite having a broken hip. (Kinda like Prince). Is part of the problem that these people (the really top ones) are basically small companies that employ hundreds of people, and they are pushed and/or internally wired to never take their foot off the gas, lest they become yesterday's news? lest their employees and hangers-on not get to work that tour? lest the second cousins have to get real jobs? etc etc
The common theme in so many of these deaths is some GD dr who prescribes Fentanyl, which is a very dangerous drug. These rich/famous people need to surround themselves with people who ae willing to tell them NO. Seems like so few have anyone who will stand up to them. I'm starting to think if I ever win the $300 million powerball, I'll panic and shred my ticket in the first 2 minutes. I'm starting to think that level of fame and $ must often destroy all of your real relationships

boondocks":1alerf6r said:
Read he was trying to finish out his tour despite having a broken hip. (Kinda like Prince). Is part of the problem that these people (the really top ones) are basically small companies that employ hundreds of people, and they are pushed and/or internally wired to never take their foot off the gas, lest they become yesterday's news? lest their employees and hangers-on not get to work that tour? lest the second cousins have to get real jobs? etc etc
The common theme in so many of these deaths is some GD dr who prescribes Fentanyl, which is a very dangerous drug. These rich/famous people need to surround themselves with people who ae willing to tell them NO. Seems like so few have anyone who will stand up to them. I'm starting to think if I ever win the $300 million powerball, I'll panic and shred my ticket in the first 2 minutes. I'm starting to think that level of fame and $ must often destroy all of your real relationships
They are surrounded by enablers, both in their very close knit 'entourage' , family, and out in the public domain thru their 'fans' and observers that accept it as just part of that occupation as well.
It doesn't matter what a doctor offers or prescribes.It's similar to whether a person accepts a loan or decides to do something with that credit card offer that comes in the mail..The patient has the final say regarding whether they want to pop that pill down their throat or even accept the prescription and go to the pharmacy and pick it up.
Risky choices always carry a hefty price tag.
Buy..or don't buy. The choice, ultimately.. is their's alone.

greybeard":nnkt961z said:
They are surrounded by enablers, both in their very close knit 'entourage' , family, and out in the public domain thru their 'fans' and observers that accept it as just part of that occupation as well.
It doesn't matter what a doctor offers or prescribes.It's similar to whether a person accepts a loan or decides to do something with that credit card offer that comes in the mail..The patient has the final say regarding whether they want to pop that pill down their throat or even accept the prescription and go to the pharmacy and pick it up.
Risky choices always carry a hefty price tag.
Buy..or don't buy. The choice, ultimately.. is their's alone.

Agree with the first part and some of the second but would also hold the drs to their hippocratic oath. No way do they honestly think they're doing the right thing by these patients. I have the same dim view of a few of them in my community who prescribed boatloads of ever-increasing doses of opioids. When a dr is literally doing something illegal (2 had their licenses pulled for at least a while), it's not 100% on the patients, many of whom did start off with legit injuries etc.

That too, is part of the enabling process. "The doctor said it was ok". :bs:
People will always seek rationalization if they can, from someone else, anyone else, everyone else if they can instead of accepting and using personal responsibility. It's akin to blaming the bartender when someone gets drunk or the arms manufacturer when someone goes out and starts shooting people.

The doctor's doing something illegal never includes holding a gun to the patient's head and making them take the script to the pharmacy and neither does the pharmacist. Society and individuals have got to stop looking for someone to blame their drug addictions and drug abuse on.

A lot of these type also go doctor shopping. They may be getting the same prescription from a half dozen doctors.

Latest posts