Tom Petty

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":221lb6oz said:
dun":221lb6oz said:
A lot of these type also go doctor shopping. They may be getting the same prescription from a half dozen doctors.
No doubt.....and selling 1/2 of their haul, or more.
The enabler type docs remind of the doc in the movie "Overboard", taking and handing out valium like they were lifesavers.

dun":2nnnpnlb said:
A lot of these type also go doctor shopping. They may be getting the same prescription from a half dozen doctors.

Dun, I think you can't as easily do that anymore in most (all or nearly all?) states; the narcotic prescriptions are tracked in a database. In our state (and I think others), the database has to be queried before it will let you submit a narcotics scrip. It's tightly controlled and even the grayhaired grandmas are randomly drug-tested (a surprising number were selling some of their painkiller pills here and there to supplement their income!). Drs are notified when they are prescribing more than their peers. Can't do phone refills, etc. Most states are tracking it pretty closely (finally). I think CMC does as well (Medicaid/Medicare)? So I'm sure there's still some dr-shopping but it's a very changed system over just the past couple years. Unfortunately, the change came late for many people, who got hooked on the dr-prescribed pills (many of them factory workers, even farmers, with back injuries etc), then got cut off with the new controls, and have turned to street heroin and even worse, fentanyl.

GB--There is no excuse for a dr prescribing large ongoing doses of fentanyl to anyone who doesn't have end-stage cancer. The dr knows the danger. The patient doesn't necessarily. The dr has professional responsibilities and a code of ethics, and cannot just prescribe, willy-nilly, drugs that dangerously depress respiration. These meds can be lethal even if one isn't an addict and should only be used with great care. Patients need to be responsible, sure, but I'm not going to give the trained professionals (who are taking in thousands $$$) a pass.

boondocks":36moednh said:
dun":36moednh said:

Dun, I think you can't as easily do that anymore in most (all or nearly all?) states; the narcotic prescriptions are tracked in a database. In our state (and I think others), the database has to be queried before it will let you submit a narcotics scrip. It's tightly controlled and even the grayhaired grandmas are randomly drug-tested (a surprising number were selling some of their painkiller pills here and there to supplement their income!). Drs are notified when they are prescribing more than their peers. Can't do phone refills, etc. Most states are tracking it pretty closely (finally). I think CMC does as well (Medicaid/Medicare)? So I'm sure there's still some dr-shopping but it's a very changed system over just the past couple years.
I have to see my doc every quarter to get the Norco crap I take. I keep a log of whenever I take them, not required but I like to keep track of it for my self. I asked the doc if taking 4-5 a day was an issue and he said it wasn;t. Then there are other days when I only need 1 or 2 and very occasioanlly none.

dun":11h1jok2 said:
boondocks":11h1jok2 said:
dun":11h1jok2 said:

Dun, I think you can't as easily do that anymore in most (all or nearly all?) states; the narcotic prescriptions are tracked in a database. In our state (and I think others), the database has to be queried before it will let you submit a narcotics scrip. It's tightly controlled and even the grayhaired grandmas are randomly drug-tested (a surprising number were selling some of their painkiller pills here and there to supplement their income!). Drs are notified when they are prescribing more than their peers. Can't do phone refills, etc. Most states are tracking it pretty closely (finally). I think CMC does as well (Medicaid/Medicare)? So I'm sure there's still some dr-shopping but it's a very changed system over just the past couple years.
I have to see my doc every quarter to get the Norco crap I take. I keep a log of whenever I take them, not required but I like to keep track of it for my self. I asked the doc if taking 4-5 a day was an issue and he said it wasn;t. Then there are other days when I only need 1 or 2 and very occasioanlly none.
Your not an addict and hold yourself accountable. Seems like the more you take the more you need.

dun":3jsfo30x said:

You're a wise man in this as in other matters, Dun.

dun":29t9ri28 said:
I have to see my doc every quarter to get the Norco crap I take.
Doctor can't bill your insurance quarterly if he only sees you semi annually.
He'd probably schedule you for a monthly consultation if the insurance company allowed it.
94% of all medical insurance fraud is committed by hospitals and doctors.

Son of Butch":2c3ipejy said:
dun":2c3ipejy said:
I have to see my doc every quarter to get the Norco crap I take.
Doctor can't bill your insurance quarterly if he only sees you semi annually.
He'd probably schedule you for a monthly consultation if the insurance company allowed it.
94% of all medical insurance fraud is committed by hospitals and doctors.
The quarterly thing is a new medicare requirement. Until now (for the past couple of years) I would just email him and tell him I needed some and he would just write the script. This latest is all the people abusing the stuff that has brought on changes.

Opiods killing people is all over the news, but when it all comes out it's never "just the opiods" its alcohol, benzo etc in a cocktail.
Pretty sure alcohol kills more people than cigarettes, painkillers etc but it gets a pass...

I got to wonder what the big push against opiods is
Every tv show you watch has a mini message against opiods..
I think there is something bigger, like more Dr visits etc.. Or opiods aren't expensive enough. Don't know maybe I'm being a conspriacy nut...

danl":168oczjk said:
Opiods killing people is all over the news, but when it all comes out it's never "just the opiods" its alcohol, benzo etc in a cocktail.
Pretty sure alcohol kills more people than cigarettes, painkillers etc but it gets a pass...

I got to wonder what the big push against opiods is
Every tv show you watch has a mini message against opiods..
I think there is something bigger, like more Dr visits etc.. Or opiods aren't expensive enough. Don't know maybe I'm being a conspriacy nut...
or maybe it's this: https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topic ... eath-rates

Latest posts