Today's project

Help Support CattleToday:

I was wondering, Has anyone used expanded metal with extra support beams for flooring? I like the idea of easy cleaning, air floor for drying out, something that won't rot and that can be repaired a section at a time as needed.

I don't think expanded metal would work very well. Cows are heavy and have small feet, would take a lot of support to keep it from sagging.

My opinion. Untreated pine for a trailer floor is going to have a very short life. Covering it with plywood traps moisture on the boards and makes it worse. Any pine in this area should be pressure treated and not covered with plywood. Plywood on the floor of a livestock trailer is bad. Leave small gaps between the boards so that they can drain and breathe. Oak will last a long time, but you need to find someone who will saw it to dimensions that fit. Or get that expensive composite floor. Long life, but heavy and expensive.
In my original post i said that i covered the treated 2x10's with treated plywood too.

BUT that was ONLY after the original treated 2 year old treated 2 x 10 floor had started getting dodie.

The only reason i put the treated plywood on top of the dodie 2 year old treated 2 x 10 floor was for a quick fix. I was needing to haul cattle to the sale barn, move cows to winter pasture ext..., and felt my plywood quick fix would hold up long enough to do what i needed done. And i ripped all that floor, plywood and all out the first chance i got time to do it and put a new floor.

Wouldn't have done my quick fix to begin with if i had the least little bit of concern it could have fail through with a load of cattle. But i still knew it was something that had to be taken care of and the sooner the better.

It's like alot of things that goes with farming. You have to use alot of common sense and make things work even if its a temporary fix to get the job done.

Personally i wouldn't use plywood for flooring in a stock trailer because it won't let water run off very fast if any at all and speeds up the rate that it will rot treated or not treated.

Wood floors in stock trailers in my opinion regardless plywood, plank, oak etc... need to be looked at if not replaced every two years. Even if you wash them out after everytime you use them and park them under the shed. And trying to keep my trailer washed out is next to impossible for me. I use it way too often to rely on washing it out after i am done with it.

Wood treated or not rots. I think a new plank floor thats not covered with plywood until it starts getting dodie will last longer than if it had been covered with plywood because. All the cow piss and green grass **** water and rain water can drain out through the cracks between the planks of the floor. Where a plywood floor will hold the water making the floor rot out faster.

The best solution I have seen is a company that makes trailer decking from recycled composite lumber. It looks tough to clean, but it won't rot.
View attachment 11931
It actually washes out easier than wood I think. The openings between the sections never close up like wood so the manure goes out pretty well. We are using it on the cattle trailers I deliver. Price is only a little more than wood but it will last pretty much forever.

I was thinking about Sky this morning. He has not been on in awhile.
Been hunting and getting stuck as was mentioned lol now I gotta start fixing the tractor that the freeze plug rusted through which is a royal pain lol how ya been bud.. also wife having covid bs

Been hunting and getting stuck as was mentioned lol now I gotta start fixing the tractor that the freeze plug rusted through which is a royal pain lol how ya been bud.. also wife having covid bs
People ask me, 'why you no buy 4wd?' I would only get further out before I got stuck.

Good to see you back. I guess I should be a better friend and keep up more. I hope you wife recovers with no serious side-effects.

Good to see you back. I guess I should be a better friend and keep up more. I hope you wife recovers with no serious side-effects.
Hey you're just fine as a Friend... She is better now and back to work helping others again... Side effects she has some no taste... Besides tcranch stalks me to get dinner ideas she loves the foods I eat.

Hey you're just fine as a Friend... She is better now and back to work helping others again... Side effects she has some no taste... Besides tcranch stalks me to get dinner ideas she loves the foods I eat.
@sstterry Sky knows there's about 10 things I'll eat, most of which are beige, and loves to torment (traumatize?) me by sending pics of food. Eweeee! That said, we do both have a love for all things cheese!

Latest posts