Today I have to shoot number 5

Help Support CattleToday:

cazzhrdwd

Reaction score
My favorite cow number five has gone down. I got a really nice bull two days ago and I believe when he tried to mount her she must have slipped. I tried to help her up but she just can't do it. I put a strap around her and lifted her but she won't or can't move her back legs. All my angus are pretty wild, but she is the only one who will let you walk up and scratch her. She also has the best genetics as her sire is the bull Profit. She is three years old and been eating well, probably a score of 6. She also has a calf that was born in September. I had a downer years ago and a guy came and got it and took it to a rendering plant, but ever since mad cow they don't do it anymore.

Its really just a terrible day, I have to shoot her and just bury her. I'd rather do that though than have her go through the pain of being drug onto a truck.

Shot my best cow this fall. She was just old and was having a stroke or seizures or something. Not my best day.

cazzhrdwd":gjfg4tth said:
My favorite cow number five has gone down. I got a really nice bull two days ago and I believe when he tried to mount her she must have slipped. I tried to help her up but she just can't do it. I put a strap around her and lifted her but she won't or can't move her back legs. All my angus are pretty wild, but she is the only one who will let you walk up and scratch her. She also has the best genetics as her sire is the bull Profit. She is three years old and been eating well, probably a score of 6. She also has a calf that was born in September. I had a downer years ago and a guy came and got it and took it to a rendering plant, but ever since mad cow they don't do it anymore.

Its really just a terrible day, I have to shoot her and just bury her. I'd rather do that though than have her go through the pain of being drug onto a truck.

I have a guy who will come out to the farm and put one down and butcher it on the spot. He then take the carcass back to his place for processing. Is that an option?

Sorry for your loss.

TennesseeTuxedo":38j9cmfb said:
cazzhrdwd":38j9cmfb said:

I have a guy who will come out to the farm and put one down and butcher it on the spot. He then take the carcass back to his place for processing. Is that an option?

Sorry for your loss.

Yeah probably but you're quite far from me. Do you know someone local?

Sorry about the tough luck... but from what I understand there's no reason why the meat isn't edible, if only in burger and stew...
I'm with Kingfisher.. Learn to skin her, but you can still bring the quarters to a butcher.

That was the toughest thing I've had to do in awhile. I did spend the morning and afternoon trying to find someone to butcher her. As I was giving her water and feed I could see she was suffering so I went ahead and did the deed. I'm not doing a cow calf operation anymore, I'm selling them this spring. I don't have the knowledge or energy to run it the way its supposed to, I'm bowing out. I respect all of you who do this, you're good people who run your farms right.

cazzhrdwd":cshoeueq said:
That was the toughest thing I've had to do in awhile. I did spend the morning and afternoon trying to find someone to butcher her. As I was giving her water and feed I could see she was suffering so I went ahead and did the deed. I'm not doing a cow calf operation anymore, I'm selling them this spring. I don't have the knowledge or energy to run it the way its supposed to, I'm bowing out. I respect all of you who do this, you're good people who run your farms right.

I know how you feel and you did the right thing. Stick around and keep posting.

Very sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. That stuff can happen to any of us. Hopefully you will feel better with time and change your mind about selling out. I know losing one like that is extremely hard and discouraging. I've been there. Hope you have better days ahead.

A.J.":qonbds73 said:
Very sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. That stuff can happen to any of us. Hopefully you will feel better with time and change your mind about selling out. I know losing one like that is extremely hard and discouraging. I've been there. Hope you have better days ahead.

Yep. It never gets any easier to lose one. Whether you've got 2 or 200. I still hate losing a calf (or cow) as bad as I did 20 years ago. This too shall pass.

JMJ Farms":ya5xlfpf said:
A.J.":ya5xlfpf said:

Yep. It never gets any easier to lose one. Whether you've got 2 or 200. I still hate losing a calf (or cow) as bad as I did 20 years ago. This too shall pass.

cazzhrdwd":1b4tqsu0 said:

We lost one of our favorite cows this week; after multiple trips to the vet at some point in time you have to recognize when it's time to stop the suffering and it NEVER gets easier. Having said that, we've kept all her heifers so her lineage (and memory) lives on. Please don't give up!

Latest posts