To what age do your herd bulls generally last?

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
We raise Braunvieh and our original and oldest herd sire has finally started going down hill and will be sold this fall. He will be 10 years old in March and bred all the cows this summer. He still has good feet and legs just getting really thin and slowing down. In our breed I know of bulls still breeding cows at 15, but I think they live a very pampered life.

My dad has Charolais bulls and they usually are sold by 7-8 years. They tend to go lame, get hurt fighting or sometimes just get hard to handle as they get older.

I'm just curious to know how long you keep your herd sires?

Our oldest sires seem to be about 6-7 years old. We sold one to a neighbour, though, that is about 8.

Usually the older bulls get too hard to handle. Or they get hurt fighting and they are sold before they hit 5.

I have not kept a bull for more that 4 breeding seasons. [5 yr olds]
My thoughts are the size, mostly are over a ton. A bull that big can get foot problems or leg problems, we have rough and rocky ground. And, I save my own heifers.

the bull ive got now is 5.had him for almost 2yrs.will prolly keep him another year if i can.because id like to get a reg calf crop from him.

My oldest herd bull was 14.. a Brahman bull. That's when we had two places and could keep two bulls. Now I don't keep one over two breeding seasons, because they're registered and I'm keeping some of his heifers.

I got a really good one now, that is 6 years old. He is still going strong.. hate to get rid of him but will have to soon.

You hav to look at a heifer's leg and hind quarter build to determine whether or not a big bull will hurt them. IMHO We have put 2000lb++ bulls in with 800 lb. heifers and not had any problems at all

I've got a polled hereford that is six. I'm planning on working him for at least one more year.

GLAD I READ THIS THREAD. OUR REG. HEREFORD HAS OBVIOUSLY SLOWED DOWN. HAVE HAD TO PATCH HIS FEET A FEW TIMES. PINK EYE. SOME KINDA INTERNAL INFECTION FOR WHICH WE SHOT HIM FULL OF PENICILLIN WHICH DID THE TRICK..HE HAS HIS BLACKLEG IMMUNIZATIONS ALREADY....BUT HE IS 10 NOW.
WE RAISE OUR OWN REPLACEMENT HEIFERS AND BULLS AS WE HAVE THREE FAIRLY DIFF. GENETIC PASTURES....COULD EASILY REPLACE HIM NOW.

IT'S JUST WE HAD HIM FOREVER, MY DAD HAD HIM, HE'S BEEN IN THE FAMILY SO VERY LONG.....HATE TO GET RID OF HIM..HE IS TAME AND EASY TO MANAGE...[STILL WILL KNOCK THE FEED BUCKET OUT OF YOUR HAND]...BUT THE TIME HAS COME NOW THAT I HAVE READ THIS THREAD.

braunvieh":2x31h9xj said:
We raise Braunvieh and our original and oldest herd sire has finally started going down hill and will be sold this fall. He will be 10 years old in March and bred all the cows this summer. He still has good feet and legs just getting really thin and slowing down. In our breed I know of bulls still breeding cows at 15, but I think they live a very pampered life.

My dad has Charolais bulls and they usually are sold by 7-8 years. They tend to go lame, get hurt fighting or sometimes just get hard to handle as they get older.

I'm just curious to know how long you keep your herd sires?

Poor old bloke is run off his feet by the sound of it . It must take a toll at that age and I would choose your Dad's timing for my Droughtmasters.

I'm trying to improve along the lines I like, so ATM I sell/change my herd bull after about two years because my new ones are coming through or, I want some new quality, or what I wanted I didn't get .
So I go back toward what I was happy with.

Well my Brahma Bull is now around 8 years old.I am wondering if I should now get straws from him and AI my cows.I just had the vet uthanize my best brahma cow with torn ligaments or broken hip.Lost 2 other cows with similar problems the past year.Never had this problem before.Maybe use him as a PBR Bull?Just seeking some advice.He is almost like a member of the family.Think I rather let him die of old age than send him to market.Know what I mean.

Brahma Bull":3anejrhn said:
Well my Brahma Bull is now around 8 years old.I am wondering if I should now get straws from him and AI my cows.I just had the vet uthanize my best brahma cow with torn ligaments or broken hip.Lost 2 other cows with similar problems the past year.Never had this problem before.Maybe use him as a PBR Bull?Just seeking some advice.He is almost like a member of the family.Think I rather let him die of old age than send him to market.Know what I mean.

Are you saying the bull is responsible for the hip damage or something else .Do yyou know what caused it or is it heredity?

Our Silverdawn Jumbo murray grey herdsire lasted until
9 years. We had 7 excellent calf crops from him and still
have some semen stored. He was reliable for both
sons and daughters.

Brahma Bull":3pyvse58 said:
If I were you I wouldn,t be out picking out any head stones. That bull is still in his prime.
We just palpated 15 cows under a 14 yr. old brahman. They were all bred. Last year he had some joint problems and was slacking up a bit. After looseing a little flesh he is back at it again. May be his last go round though. But difinitely not because of a lack of fertility at this time.

tytower":1k46td0z said:
Brahma Bull":1k46td0z said:

Are you saying the bull is responsible for the hip damage or something else .Do yyou know what caused it or is it heredity?
Well I just don't know what happen,since I am away working on a ship.My wife email the bad news.The vet said the cow was not bred so she might have been in heat.It could have been a freak accident.None of the 3 were that close related,so not heredity.So has anyone ever had any bull problem,cows get injured breeding?But it's just a thought.But glad to hear from Novetech my bull is just in his prime.He makes some really big calves.His mom ma is the biggest cow I have ever seen.

How big is the bull? My last Brahman bull was over 2200 lbs.. which can injure a cow.

I also agree he's in his prime. My old Brahman herd bull was 14 also. I lost him from a previous hock injury.

TheBullLady":1bh99dhv said:
How big is the bull? My last Brahman bull was over 2200 lbs.. which can injure a cow.

I also agree he's in his prime. My old Brahman herd bull was 14 also. I lost him from a previous hock injury.
Well,aaaaahhh not sure how much he would push the scales.I would have a very difficult time loading him.He is too big for the loading chute,horns to wide too.He can clear a 6 foot fence no problem.Tore up my cow pen and busted down the gate last year when trying to vacc him.So getting him on the trailer :shock: ????.He might die of old age on the farm.Why I now thought about a PBR Bull.

I'm using a 13 rising 14 year old Red Poll bull who has settled all his cows quietly and methodically. the only sign that he's " getting on " ---- is his eyes -- going a bit cloudy. He knows where it's at though !!!

Some awfully young bulls terminated on this thread...if they are GOOD.

Some thoughts to get maximum value from a GOOD(expect to pay $4-6,000.) bull investment;

1) Keep as long as healthy and a breeder.

2) If good...before dispersal, have collected and use semen for AI in future.

3) Permanent trade with a neighbor for an equal bull for genetic dispersal.

4) Temporarly trade off breeding seasons with fellow ranchers for equal bull use.(this is especially important and should be planned early in the bull's life so he can continue breeding your herd heifers)

5) If good...just old...collect and AI..instead of natural breeding. (sell excess semen).

6) Keep and freelance breed at your ranch...... brought to you by the small operation/hobby types.
(so far this year we have bred 45 x $55.+certs... by a good 9 YO bull which doesn't fit our needs anymore. He appears ok for 2-3 more years).(Note..because of this program this $4,800. bull was free to us after the 3rd year of ownership) 8)

7) For a large herd..consider multiple bulls and seperate heifers to other bull areas for breeding.(this requires knowing...who bred who).

8] Keep bulls seperate and control mounting at each breeding.....extending bulls' breeding ability...settling greater number of cows.

9) Keep bulls seperate from herd to avoid injury from constant scuffling...especially important with older bulls.

10) Properly market the bulls carcass.

CAUTION; on 3,4 and 6...know the herd's health or require health certificate.