Last one for 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I bought 2 cows in late March. They called then as 3 to 5 year olds and bred 7 and 8 months.I long since forgot which was supposed to be 8 months and which one 7 months. They were simply ear tag #28 and #29. Well #28 accidentally got loaded and off to summer pasture before she calved (that is another story). #29 hung around here looking very much like maybe a September calver. B was agreeing with me. On Wednesday I went past her going out to do irrigation. I looked at her and thought maybe you are going to calf eventually. On Thursday morning she had a new calf following her around. Just goes to show you how good of an eye I have.

I bought 2 cows in late March. They called then as 3 to 5 year olds and bred 7 and 8 months.I long since forgot which was supposed to be 8 months and which one 7 months. They were simply ear tag #28 and #29. Well #28 accidentally got loaded and off to summer pasture before she calved (that is another story). #29 hung around here looking very much like maybe a September calver. B was agreeing with me. On Wednesday I went past her going out to do irrigation. I looked at her and thought maybe you are going to calf eventually. On Thursday morning she had a new calf following her around. Just goes to show you how good of an eye I have.
Thats just the way it is on some cows.
I made a list of heavy bred cows last week, I text the numbers to my son, when he checked them Friday one of the dozen I had down calved, and one corriente cow that I didn't think was that far along calved, she wasn't on the list.
I have seen older cows bag up over night and calve, especially in the winter time.

I left the calf table sitting in front of the chute. This pair is the only thing left on my place. Once this cow settles down we will run them in, brand the calf, and it is off to summer camp.

Latest posts