To sell or not to sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
I'll try to make this short as possible, I'm in halves on a herd with my father inlaw. His land, and equipment, I provide majority of the labor and pay half the upkeep of the equipment and half of the supplies, terms we agreed to,we split all money 50/50. We seem to kinda of disagree on how a something should be done. I put our calfs in a lot to wean at 6 months of age, steers stay there till ready to sell and the heifers since we're keeping them to build up the herd I keep in till I think they're an adequate size for breeding. In this lies the problem, hes old in his ways and thinks the cow will always wean them without intervention or 2 weeks of being put up and they're weaned and ready to go back into the herd. Several times I just finally got tired of being asked why those calves are still in the lot and went ahead and turned them out after a few weeks and low and behold there are always the ones that go right back to nursing. I'll put them back up and same old questions come up again. I'm trying to do things the right way (I think) but I guess he doesn't see it this way. Since I know he doesn't really care wether he has any cattle or not I'm seriously considering just telling him I'm ready to get out and sell off the herd. This has always been a dream of mine and is a really hard decision but I really don't see much of another way as I don't want to do it if I have to do it half a--. Any advice? Sorry so long of a post.

That is a dilemma. In-laws are always a problem. Maybe you could divide the cows in half and you could treat his the way he wants and you could handle yours your way. If this has always been a dream of yours you might have to put up with it for a while. Another consideration is how old is he and how is is health. Hate to mention that but it might factor into your decision.

cherokeeruby":rrzss4a2 said:
That is a dilemma. In-laws are always a problem. Maybe you could divide the cows in half and you could treat his the way he wants and you could handle yours your way. If this has always been a dream of yours you might have to put up with it for a while. Another consideration is how old is he and how is is health. Hate to mention that but it might factor into your decision.
Buy out his share and lease his land, facilities and equipment if possible.

you could wean at 7 or 8 months & they wouldn't have to be put up for near as long. or as ruby says divide the herd. or you could sell & start again later for less money. i know it is hard but have you talked to him about the problem, he may not think there is one.

I can't imagine trying to run a herd with someone else.. unless of course it was a "silent partner". It's just too hard to agree on things, and especially with an "old timer" that doesn't want to change things.

The only type of cattle that I know of that will wean their own calves is a Brahman. If they're not Brahmans, the calves will go back to nursing, and of course when the cow calves again, she'll still have the first calf on. Not a good situation.

I think I'd consider selling the herd, and finding your own place to lease and run on your own. If you have to start small (like many on this board have done) at least you'll be able to do things the right way.

Being in a "partnership" with anyone for any kind of business is asking for conflicts, disagreements on policy & procedures, and financial things. Limited Liability Corporations aren't much better.

if youre going to sell out, now would be the time to do it and start over when prices go down. some other ideas: take him out to see one of your new calves trying to compete with a 600 lb heifer for their momma's milk. if you have really good stock that you are really proud of i'd go with the buy out his half idea. Another option that comes to mind--fence off a separate heifer pasture and put them in there at weaning until they are bred. the idea of a replacement heifer pasture might sound better to him than a weaning pasture...or tell him you want them bred to a certain bull or at a certain time or something.

note to self: dont partner with father-in-law.

I had most of the night to think about it and I think I'll just try to do things his way enough to keep him satisfied for now. Leasing something else and starting over isn't an option and with his age hopefully he'll decide in the near future he doesn't want to be in it any more and I can buy his half out and eventually the property also. Thanks for the oppurtunity to post my frustrations and all opinions offered.

I can only imagine your frustrations... My father in Law 's a great guy,BUT I could not imagine being partners with him in the cattle business.--Or anyone else Heck, I have a hard enough time being in it with my Wife!! Just kidding. She's my right hand. Good Luck, things will work out for you.

I also hold my father inlaw in high regard and we get along great, just as two people do we always don't see eye to eye on some things. I guess it will all work out for the best and since this is the only possible way for me to be in this I'll just go on and bite my tongue. He has told me that he would like to see me have the farm when the time comes just have to hope it works out that I do.

hes old in his ways and thinks the cow will always wean them without intervention or 2 weeks of being put up and they're weaned and ready to go back into the herd. Several times I just finally got tired of being asked why those calves are still in the lot and went ahead and turned them out after a few weeks and low and behold there are always the ones that go right back to nursing.

Does your father in law understand the value of good colostrum ?

If a calf isn't weaned correctly there will be ongoing issues that will affect your wallet.

Cows that are nursed close to the time she is to calve, will produce colstrum that is lower in quality & value. Late nursing calves pull the antibodies right out of the cow.
1st calf Heifers have less quality colostrum anyhow... so if another cows older, improperly weaned calf starts trying to nurse her, imagine the damage to the new calf that will be born.

Little calves can't compete with their yearling siblings. Weaning weights will decrease and of course that devalues the animal.

We had a summer born heifer we had to wean 3 times because she was never left in the weanling pasture for the required 30 days. We caught her nursing off of many other cows just before they calved. We are ordering plastic weaning rings to eliminate this with the summer born calves. We don't have this problem with the early born, early weaned calves.

The vet at this weekends seminar said that leaving a calf on a cow for 9 months is Ok--but the cows really need a 2-3 month rest before their next calf in order to be able to produce quality colostrum.

Partnerships, of any kind, have to have alot of communication and flexability in order for both partners to be satisfied.

Sometimes a neutral mediator can help, or a quiet dinner with calm conversation. Which ever you think will work.
I know you are frustrated.

I hope it all works out for you.

jgn":14tapn38 said:
I'll try to make this short as possible, I'm in halves on a herd with my father inlaw. His land, and equipment, I provide majority of the labor and pay half the upkeep of the equipment and half of the supplies, terms we agreed to,we split all money 50/50. We seem to kinda of disagree on how a something should be done. I put our calfs in a lot to wean at 6 months of age, steers stay there till ready to sell and the heifers since we're keeping them to build up the herd I keep in till I think they're an adequate size for breeding. In this lies the problem, hes old in his ways and thinks the cow will always wean them without intervention or 2 weeks of being put up and they're weaned and ready to go back into the herd. Several times I just finally got tired of being asked why those calves are still in the lot and went ahead and turned them out after a few weeks and low and behold there are always the ones that go right back to nursing. I'll put them back up and same old questions come up again. I'm trying to do things the right way (I think) but I guess he doesn't see it this way. Since I know he doesn't really care wether he has any cattle or not I'm seriously considering just telling him I'm ready to get out and sell off the herd. This has always been a dream of mine and is a really hard decision but I really don't see much of another way as I don't want to do it if I have to do it half a--. Any advice? Sorry so long of a post.

Been here, get away quick. Get out on your own while you still know everything.

Scotty

make sure there is something in writing if he says he wants you to have the place b/c if something happens it may not go that way. i have seen this happen

I got my own lease and slowly am getting equipment. Had some. If this is your dream start slowly and build up. You will get there. Just takes longer.
I started with cows my dad got me in highschool and some of my own. Did the partnership and now am on my own. Still do all his s#$% work. Taht will never go away

Scotty

Scotty":gp4uuzfc said:
I started with cows my dad got me in highschool and some of my own. Did the partnership and now am on my own. Still do all his s#$% work. Taht will never go away

Scotty

Been through alot here. I don't consider it s#$% work...... he can't do much anymore. He's old and set in his ways. I just try to make his remaining time what he wants it to be.

Arnold Ziffle":2elvhmdl said:
Wewild -- thats a really great way of approaching life with your dad, and I feel certain that you'll never regret it.

Thanks. I believe your right.

It didn't just come naturally. I had to work at it.

I understand and don't let me get you into trouble. My situation was with a perfectly able person that would do stuff out of spite.

Scotty

Latest posts