Anybody sell any pork?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I've been throwing around the notion of fattening a couple hogs for a few years, but haven't done it yet. Now a friend is wanting me to fatten him one, and my wife is on board at this time so I'm likely to bring in a few pigs this spring.
What are whole or halves going for currently?
I would try to get them to around 300 lbs

I bought half a hog last year for a little over $300. That included butchering it for me. They said it weighed 325 live weight.

I've been throwing around the notion of fattening a couple hogs for a few years, but haven't done it yet. Now a friend is wanting me to fatten him one, and my wife is on board at this time so I'm likely to bring in a few pigs this spring.
Commercially raised hogs go to slaughter between 230 and 250.

I've raised some to slaughter weight, once, so am not an expert. I've also bought home raised hogs.

I made a big mistake buying one that was "milk fed". It was mostly fat. A bad deal as the price went way up as we trimmed fat we threw in the garbage. It had no flavor, too. I'll never buy a milk fed pig again.

The ones I raised (20 of them) were kind of fun, but expensive to feed out. I tried to cut the costs by getting produce that was being discarded from a grocery store, but I doubt it helped much in growing them out. And it was a bitch to sort out all the contaminated crap the grocery store threw in the barrels. Commercial feeds and/or special mixes heavy in corn seem to be the best. I used pallets for fencing and they worked well. If I had one thing I would have liked to try it would be to raise one on pasture, but fencing would be prohibitive.

I also had a sow that had a litter. Cute little spuds and fun to watch. One got taken, I think, by an eagle. I found it some distance from the pen with huge rake marks, looked like talon slashes up both sides. I suspect it struggled free and was dropped from a height that killed it.

So that's what I know, along with some anecdotal bulls**t.

I last did that in 2014. Thought it was worth it at the time and would do it again with better facilities

I sold pork, as well as pigs and hogs, for many years. I now just sell live animals. I vendored at farmers markets so I sold mostly by the pound instead of by halves or quarters. I will say that it really is an expensive venture, especially on the small scale. Typically, you'll get weaned pigs around 8 weeks old. From there, count on 5lbs of feed per head per day for a couple weeks (until they get started good). Then you'll gradually increase to 8-10lbs per head per day until they get up to around 110 lbs, then increase to 12 lbs until they reach 185-200 lbs, then you can either start backing off or switch to a lower protein feed. I've always been of the opinion, you're much better off if you can find some bbq pigs(around 130-150lbs). Around here, they usually sell for $.90-$1.05 lb. Also, you don't want to raise just one pig. You need competition to encourage they don't waste feed, plus it's good to be able to compare them. I'm definitely no expert but I'm more than happy to share my experience

Hey man.. I see you're wanting to venture into hogs... I generally sell 200+ roasting hogs a year now and 150 + Killin hogs a year. I make good money off of them. I will say this if all you're doing is a few 2-4 here it would be a waste of time simply because I can buy them cheaper than I can raise them. Since I sell too small restaurants I need to always have good inventory. I can't rely on the barn to have what I need. I also feed the same feed to make sure there is no variation of taste and fat ratio. Put pencil to paper on which is cost effective in your area. I know people who buy barn hogs feed them out 2 weeks then kill them or longer. I thought you had my # if you do feel free to reach out or on me and I'll give to you. Ill check in more frequently. Hogfarmer had a good post.

Sky what are you feeding that's reasonable priced?
Our local feed mill has a corn sbm mix they sell as hog feed but the price has became too high. I didn't feed any out this year due to feed costs.

Sky what are you feeding that's reasonable priced?
Our local feed mill has a corn sbm mix they sell as hog feed but the price has became too high. I didn't feed any out this year due to feed costs.
I use peanuts and corn dry molasses and mineral for my base feed. I also add Brewers grain and milk to their diet. The peanuts are rejects from a factory making various peanut products. I pay 200.00 per ton corn I raise molasses is 17.00 per 50#bag milk is free but costs 300.00 to get 7000 gallons every 2 weeks.. I use soymeal for feeders sometimes in the mix 24.00 per 50# bag. I use hammer mill to make feed. I have very little cost into them relatively speaking.if you can't make your own feed buy bulk it saves alot.

Latest posts