to buy or not to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I am considering getting a cow dog. they run trained $2500-$4000. Most all of my cows and bulls will go anywhere I want with a bucket of grain. for those of you who have dogs or looked at getting one, do you reccomend or not. I don't have much trouble penning my cattle now, but sometimes they don't want to cooperate.

plbcattle":1xeyeqen said:
I am considering getting a cow dog. they run trained $2500-$4000. Most all of my cows and bulls will go anywhere I want with a bucket of grain. for those of you who have dogs or looked at getting one, do you reccomend or not. I don't have much trouble penning my cattle now, but sometimes they don't want to cooperate.

I bought a started dog have been pleased

I bought a pup and trained her myself. It has worked out great.

We have owned an Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler) for the past 30 years (3 different dogs of course). We have always purchased a pup (for about $50) and trained them ourselves. If you plan on getting one, they require a lot of time. Heeling is natural. Obediance must be TAUGHT. And your cattle will need to be trained to the dog also. Many people see my dog work & ask if I could take him to their farm & help them. NOT! If the cows are not used to dogs and they don't have REALLY good fencing, it could be a total disaster. The cows fight the dogs too much, not knowing what is expected of them.
My dog saves me MANY footsteps. My cattle are also broke to follow me most anywhere by calling them, but there are many, many times they need to be herded.
Good luck.

My wife didn't leave her registered Samoyed at the Samoyed stud's house long enough! As a result, we have a litter of six cute puppies sired by our neighbor's blue heeler! They are fluffy, white with dark ears and some have a few spots. Do you think they would make cow-dogs?

greenwillowherefords:
Reminds me of a classified ad post: "Pups, free to a good home. Half registered Boston Terrier, half Sneaky Neighbor's Dog"! :D

plbcattle:
If I were going to spend $2500-4000 for something to help me handle cattle, I would spend the dough on a decent ranch horse. Watching a good cowdog work is admittedly fun, but being well-mounted and doing it horseback is incomparable. And, you can't ride that cowdog in the local parade!

docgraybull":1lxewalc said:
Reminds me of a classified ad post: "Pups, free to a good home. Half registered Boston Terrier, half Sneaky Neighbor's Dog"!

Or, "papers on the mother, curses on the father"

dun

GWH, my guess would be--No. They will probably make nice farm dogs, and help you out as much as they can, but as far as "really herding your stock" I wouldn't bet on it. If you work with them, they shouldn't get in the way too much. One of them may come on and prove me a liar! How big is your Samoyed?

These non-tradtional crosses making working doegs reminds me of a guy I hunted with years ago. His wife had some kind of little white long haired lap dog that he used for pheasant hunting. The little bugger retrieved by dragging the birds by walking backwards and found birds that the guys with the high priced "bird dogs" went right past.

dun

dun":382t8l23 said:
These non-tradtional crosses making working doegs reminds me of a guy I hunted with years ago. His wife had some kind of little white long haired lap dog that he used for pheasant hunting. The little bugger retrieved by dragging the birds by walking backwards and found birds that the guys with the high priced "bird dogs" went right past.

dun
While we lived in Kansas, we used our Australian Cattle Dog for pheasant hunting. He didn't point & hold, but he flushed & retrieved. All our heelers love to retrieve. When they see a gun, their ready to "get" something!