To buy or not to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

redneckmatt

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 6 week old herford heifer that it's mother died from cancer ( thats what vet said was cose of death) when the calf was 1 month old. Was wondering if calf will be cancer free or should I stay clear of this one?

I wouldn;t worry about tcancer as much as the work and skills involved in getting a young heifer up to a breeding adult that can reach her full potential

redneckmatt":mzdhx16o said:
I have the chance to buy a 6 week old herford heifer that it's mother died from cancer ( thats what vet said was cose of death) when the calf was 1 month old. Was wondering if calf will be cancer free or should I stay clear of this one?
if i wanted the heifer calf.id buy her.what her momma died from wont hurt her.

Thanks every one I was just worried abought the cancer being passed during the pregnence. The guy wants $150 for her sound fair to me. I'm going to get her.

redneckmatt":306jx5ib said:
Thanks every one I was just worried abought the cancer being passed during the pregnence. The guy wants $150 for her sound fair to me. I'm going to get her.

If she got to nurse off her mama for that long, I am sure she'll do fine. Did she get to nurse? The only issue you might have with her is getting her to take the bottle. If she's been on the mama cow, she's gotten off to a good start. And that sounds like a pretty fair price.

Latest posts