to all you global warming junkies....

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
....here is my report i did about global warming...love it or hate it, its your choice but remember i got most of my stuff off here or atleast got ideas from here and i did it at 11 at nite.
enjoy :D

Global Warming
By Kelly

Global warming has had a big affect on the earth, its people, every animal, islands, and just about anything. Whatever you name on the earth it has been affected by global warming. But I would not say that humans are the only factor contributing to global warming. The earth has gone from ice age to what it is today from very little human contribution. Yes, humans do have a d lot to do with today's global warming. We admit harmful gases such as carbon dioxide into the air everyday just by driving or using everyday item s like your computer, TV and other small household item that you don't even think of. The use of this energy consuming products cause energy plants to produce harmful gases that cause acid rain. Acid rain kills trees and grows into plants and goes into water that many animals drink. The surface temperatures have risen between 0.03 and 0.06 degrees Celsius over the last century. All this warming has cause glaciers to melt causing the ocean levels to rise significantly every year. The global ocean level has risen between 10 and 25 cm over the last 100 years. Methane gas is another source of harmful gas submitted into the atmosphere everyday by livestock and rice paddies. I do not think that this is a very good cause of global warming because cows have been farting and Asians have been planting rice long before the global warming theory was even thought of. The warmer temps could lead to severe droughts or floods. This means farmers will not be able to produce food and cattle farmers will not be able to feed their cattle properly and will lead to a food shortage.
Some things to help reduce global warming would be to insulate our houses better so we don't use up as much fossil fuels, plant trees and many other everyday things could be don't to slow down global warming. Another thing is to use fluorescent light bulbs. According to http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g.wdo.htm one fluorescent bulb replacing one regular light bulb is the equivalent of taking one million cars off the road of an entire year. So next tie you decide to sit inside on the computer to television go outside and do something to help save energy.

[quote="cattleluvhttp://www.ecobridge.org/content/g.wdo.htm one fluorescent bulb replacing one regular light bulb is the equivalent of taking one million cars off the road of an entire year.

I think this statement is waaay 'over the top'.

Link could not be found.

You really did not show both sides of the issue enough to me. There is lots and lots of real important studies and info that you did not include. Kind of a summary of what is on TV with a little personal opinion.

Example: You say the surface temperature "has risen 0.03 and 0.06 degrees Celsius over the last century" but you did not look into the fact that the reporting stations over the last Century have changed drastically. That thousands of data collecting weather stations have closed and no longer provide data. And that many stations say 80 years ago use to be in a farm field but today they are at the Airport where Asphalt generates more heat.

Lots more deeper research could have been done. You could have pointed out that just 30 years ago the same thing was said about Global Cooling and the coming ice age. That as a result food production would be harmed all around the world.

Global Warming is a very tainted subject and to come to an educated opinion one really has to spend hours researching and looking into it.

About 8 years ago we switched mostly [say 80%} to florecent lights in our house in an effort to lower our power bill.
It made no difference on our power bill that we could notice.
Then we bought new apliances, example fridge, stove, washer, dryer, etc. Our power bill actually went up a hair!

I think this statement is waaay 'over the top'.
i didnt make it up i found it on a website for global warming.

You really did not show both sides of the issue enough to me.

i wasnt supposed to...im supposed to pick a side and persade that its right but i didnt really choose a side. i was kinda on both....mabe you can tell i didnt do very well :oops: im not exactly a smart person.

and Horse Guy i dont know what to tell ya but we put them in our house two years ago and havnt changed one sense so if your not changing light bulbs all the time maybe you are saving energy?
and my teacher hasnt graded it yet...will get it back tomarrow
[/quote]

It's hard to pick a side when you aren't sure, or haven't had enough time to really research it. And, like you've said...you are a freshman in highschool. Even if you did pick a side, you could change your mind 10 times over before you finally settled on it.

Don't be too hard on yourself. And, quit calling yourself DUMB! You did the report...your turned it in to keep from getting a zero...and you obviously learned enough in the process that you are still undecided, meaning you did some reading and thinking on it. DUMB people wouldn't have bothered at all.

The next report will be easier for you...it's hard being a freshman in highschool...really, really hard.

Alice

cattleluvr18":1ruf6hfj said:
mabe you can tell i didnt do very well :oops: im not exactly a smart person.
[/quote]

We all came in to this world with the instinct to nurse our momma and not much more. Then we started getting educated and it never really ends. Past experience and choice of what to learn next is what makes us all different.

Someone who stops learning is "not exactly a smart person"

The fact that you are here in this forum reading posts instead of laying around watching television tells me you are continually learning something - right or wrong.

backhoeboogie":1j6in19d said:
cattleluvr18":1j6in19d said:

The fact that you are here in this forum reading posts instead of laying around watching television tells me you are continually learning something - right or wrong.[/quote]

thanx! i love this site. theres sssoo much info

Alice":2b204u5v said:
Don't be too hard on yourself. And, quit calling yourself DUMB! You did the report...your turned it in to keep from getting a zero...and you obviously learned enough in the process that you are still undecided, meaning you did some reading and thinking on it. DUMB people wouldn't have bothered at all.

The next report will be easier for you...

Alice

I agree.

cattleluvr18 never sell yourself short.

weather global warming is true the earth would be much better off if we reduce our pollution

and fyi 1 compact flouresent light bulb saves 30 $ over its life and lasts much longer that regular bulbs and emit much less heat making it easier to cool your house

there are lots of little things you can do to help, we switched to green mountain energy which is powered by windmills it costs a little bit more right now but will eventually cost less since all you need is wind.
ALSO you don't need to be driving a gigantic truck everywhere, I know most people on here need a truck daily but there are people out there driving trucks and only pull a boat everyonce in a while and also SUVs and Hummers are terrible

off my soap box

AngusSenorita":edkfa9kg said:
weather global warming is true the earth would be much better off if we reduce our pollution

and fyi 1 compact flouresent light bulb saves 30 $ over its life and lasts much longer that regular bulbs and emit much less heat making it easier to cool your house

there are lots of little things you can do to help, we switched to green mountain energy which is powered by windmills it costs a little bit more right now but will eventually cost less since all you need is wind.
ALSO you don't need to be driving a gigantic truck everywhere, I know most people on here need a truck daily but there are people out there driving trucks and only pull a boat everyonce in a while and also SUVs and Hummers are terrible

off my soap box

I'm into energy as it seems I have been appointed to that position for the company I work for.

How can we tell that the scientist haven't just missed the boat as that is what they are being paid to research. What was the caused of the ice age? Could it be a cycle? What about the dust bowl from the 30's?

Are we all bought in to the fact that man can destroy earth?

Wewild":35guvc5h said:
AngusSenorita":35guvc5h said:

off my soap box

I'm into energy as it seems I have been appointed to that position for the company I work for.

How can we tell that the scientist haven't just missed the boat as that is what they are being paid to research. What was the caused of the ice age? Could it be a cycle? What about the dust bowl from the 30's?

Who else but man could, Wewild! The flip of a switch and the punch of a button could do it in a heartbeat. And who else could flip the switch and punch the button...poltergeist?

Alice

Wewild":6ywj8ijy said:

That big meteor that is coming in a few years is "supposed" to miss us by 100,000 miles or so. It depends on which calculation you are looking at which day. I don't even remember the name of it anymore but I was toggling back and forth into the NASA site for a while looking at it. But even if it misses us, the tides are truly going to be something. Lets just hope the earth's rotation stays just like it is.

Alice":3iq9qphx said:
Wewild":3iq9qphx said:
AngusSenorita":3iq9qphx said:

off my soap box

Who else but man could, Wewild! The flip of a switch and the punch of a button could do it in a heartbeat. And who else could flip the switch and punch the button...poltergeist?

Alice

Hypothetically man could destroy man I guess but the earth will still be here even if someone pushes the button even if it is a Poltergeist.

cattleluvr18":2apc6azx said:
[/quote]

Don't know if my thoughts matter or not, but the only problem with your report that I can see is you tried to cover too many things. Global warming is a very complex problem. That having been said, all in all it wasn't a bad report, and I can see absolutely no reason why you should be thinking you're "not exactly a smart person". You're a freshman in high school for goodness sake, cut yourself a little slack. All one can do is their best, and it looks to me like you did. As Dave says - just my .02, asked for or not. :)

Latest posts