To all my fellow cattlemen and cattlewomen of Australia

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
I read the story below last night and it really was disturbing. My thoughts go out to you in this horrible time. I just don't know what to say except, I'm very sorry that you all are going through this. I can only imagine the grief of losing one's entire herd and genetics.

http://bit.ly/2T82cJz

wbvs58 said:
Thank you BH. It is a bit further north than us, we are still in severe drought. Winter is going to be tough.

Ken

Hang in there, it's times like this that builds character, or break one's character. You Aussies are tough as nails and I have a lot of respect for you all.

wbvs58 said:
Thank you BH. It is a bit further north than us, we are still in severe drought. Winter is going to be tough.

Ken

Anything from oma? A young red poll breeder with good genetics has just pulled the pin, just can't go on financially feeding the herd.

Redgully said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Anything from oma? A young red poll breeder with good genetics has just pulled the pin, just can't go on financially feeding the herd.

Not a drop, just a lot of wind, headed back out into the Pacific so you never know, might come back. Yes feeding is a bit of a strain financially especially if things don't look too good for selling bulls later in the year.

Ken

sim.-ang.king said:
Is there any way those of us in the states can help?

While I am not in the flooded area, knowing of your concern is a great comfort and help, thank you. The areas affected are fairly extensive type properties and have been battling drought for several years so many just had the core cow herd that they were trying to preserve but have now lost. It is my understanding that grass will grow rapidly but to get cashflow many will look to agist cattle from other drought affected areas until they can build up a breeding herd again.

Ken

TCRanch said:
Heart wrenching! And the PETA groups are already using the images and taking them out of context to further their cause.

From what I've heard not one animal welfare group lifted a finger to help. Most of them are charities too. They pick and choose their moments. I think they may have lost a fair bit of support recently over this and paying for photos on the export ships.

TCRanch said:
Heart wrenching! And the PETA groups are already using the images and taking them out of context to further their cause.

I'm not surprised at the actions of PETA. Bill Gates wants the cattle industry to wrap up and go away, even worse is Miguel McKelvey, WeWork's co-founder and chief culture officer. Two guys that have billions of dollars and a massive carbon footprint despite their do gooder status. Last time I checked, computers use a lot of energy, heck Bitcoin mining makes cattle look environmentally friendly by comparison. Microsoft aids Bitcoin miners indirectly. As for WeWork, you will never hear them say "hey, if you want to save the planet maybe you should consider having less kids or none at all, walk to work, and live in a tent" WeWork would be better served targeting the billionaires that waste resources like there is literally no tomorrow, NOT cattle. I have a farm, it has cattle, there's grass and trees everywhere. They absorb carbon. How do high rises, concrete, and pavement do the same?

I may make a lot of vegans angry, but it's not cattle that are the problem, it's humans. Cattle don't drive multiple cars, trash up the planet with plastic, they don't require cargo ships to bring them goods and services, they don't fly planes for a little weekend vacay. They are a scapegoat. We had millions of bison at one time, and they didn't cause problems. I could go on and on, but there is no way cattle will ever come close to doing the damage to this planet that humans have. To exploit the losses our Australian friends have endured is disgusting and despicable.

Angus Association discussed PETA attacks on one of their Angus shows on YouTube.

I think it's a massive invasion of privacy to take photos of animals while ranchers are grieving and as we all know are VERY SAD about losing their animals, and use those photos to sway opinion online. This was a natural disaster, not neglect!!! I seriously doubt any of their members have ever pulled a calf, doctored a sick cow or calf. They don't realize that many of us are not just in it for the money, but we actually love our cattle and care for their wellbeing almost as much as we care for our own wellbeing. It's a lifestyle, and a da.mn fine one at that!

************* said:
TCRanch said:

I'm not surprised at the actions of PETA. Bill Gates wants the cattle industry to wrap up and go away, even worse is Miguel McKelvey, WeWork's co-founder and chief culture officer. Two guys that have billions of dollars and a massive carbon footprint despite their do gooder status. Last time I checked, computers use a lot of energy, heck Bitcoin mining makes cattle look environmentally friendly by comparison. Microsoft aids Bitcoin miners indirectly. As for WeWork, you will never hear them say "hey, if you want to save the planet maybe you should consider having less kids or none at all, walk to work, and live in a tent" WeWork would be better served targeting the billionaires that waste resources like there is literally no tomorrow, NOT cattle. I have a farm, it has cattle, there's grass and trees everywhere. They absorb carbon. How do high rises, concrete, and pavement do the same?

I may make a lot of vegans angry, but it's not cattle that are the problem, it's humans. Cattle don't drive multiple cars, trash up the planet with plastic, they don't require cargo ships to bring them goods and services, they don't fly planes for a little weekend vacay. They are a scapegoat. We had millions of bison at one time, and they didn't cause problems. I could go on and on, but there is no way cattle will ever come close to doing the damage to this planet that humans have. To exploit the losses our Australian friends have endured is disgusting and despicable.

Angus Association discussed PETA attacks on one of their Angus shows on YouTube.

I think it's a massive invasion of privacy to take photos of animals while ranchers are grieving and as we all know are VERY SAD about losing their animals, and use those photos to sway opinion online. This was a natural disaster, not neglect!!! I seriously doubt any of their members have ever pulled a calf, doctored a sick cow or calf. They don't realize that many of us are not just in it for the money, but we actually love our cattle and care for their wellbeing almost as much as we care for our own wellbeing. It's a lifestyle, and a da.mn fine one at that!
Well said, Branded. This is nothing new for those groups; they've previously used pics from the aftermath of our recent hurricanes, the fires, the brutal cold. Heaven forbid they should actually tour mutiple ranches to find out how dedicated we are, how much we care for our animals. I try & do my part, in conjunction with Creekstone, to promote education and awareness. BUT farmers & ranchers simply don't have the corporate & political funding and I believe they fall in the category of the silent majority (don't want to cross the lines into politics but . . . )

TCRanch said:

Last time I checked, computers use a lot of energy, heck Bitcoin mining makes cattle look environmentally friendly by comparison. Microsoft aids Bitcoin miners indirectly.

Please explain??

TexasBred said:
TCRanch said:

Last time I checked, computers use a lot of energy, heck Bitcoin mining makes cattle look environmentally friendly by comparison. Microsoft aids Bitcoin miners indirectly.

Please explain??
Here is an article that explains Bitcoin's energy consumption. It's insane.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/new-study-quantifies-bitcoins-ludicrous-energy-consumption/%3famp=1

Here is just one of many articles about how Microsoft supports Bitcoin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bitcoinexchangeguide.com/whats-the-latest-on-the-relationship-with-microsoft-and-bitcoin-acceptance/amp/

Bill Gates is against real beef because he is heavily invested in the fake stuff, which by the way is far from environmentally friendly.

Latest posts