Titan 5.0 cummins...

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs and Cows":ipd67jq9 said:
I'm not from the area, but towing a big load at 80-100 mph seems insane...no way I could do that here in NC. Is it because the roads are so flat and straight?

I tend to agree. I pull daily and I pull with a truck made to pull. At around 10000 pounds I keep it around 60 max.

SALTBRANCH2":j9c6i2le said:
[
Only problem was after I hit the switch to pump I would start day dreaming etc and forget it was on. Usually there was some upset fellow passing and honking at me reminding me to turn it off.... :deadhorse: . I ended having to set a egg timer as a reminder when engaging the pump :cowboy:

In my old Chevy I had a gravity fed aux tank and I was constantly doing the same thing. I found a small red LED light and mounted to the top of the steering column, then it was wired to the switch. Sure helped me in remembering to turn it off.

Brute 23":d8ss2636 said:
What kind of tires do you have?
I run 14 ply load range V on trailer. I change tires every 2 years on this trailer as it see a lot of road time. These tires are rotated to my cattle trailer etc

Dogs and Cows":1ydgor1t said:
I'm not from the area, but towing a big load at 80-100 mph seems insane...no way I could do that here in NC. Is it because the roads are so flat and straight?
Mainly flat land. Only hills on this trip were some in Oklahoma. Yes many disagree with what speed I tow at and I am ok with that. I have been pulling trailers professionally for 25 plus years, ran 18 wheeler in the triple digits for many a mile. What bothers me is those that pull trailers at 60 mph on a 75 or 85 mph speed limit area

SALTBRANCH2":vridhdki said:
Dogs and Cows":vridhdki said:
Mainly flat land. Only hills on this trip were some in Oklahoma. Yes many disagree with what speed I tow at and I am ok with that. I have been pulling trailers professionally for 25 plus years, ran 18 wheeler in the triple digits for many a mile. What bothers me is those that pull trailers at 60 mph on a 75 or 85 mph speed limit area

Going 60 in a 75 is legal.
Going 100 in a 75 is illegal...... :) And I personally think it should carry a sentence equal to DWI. Endangering others and thier family's so you can arrive a few minutes sooner is selfish and irresponsible.... :2cents:

callmefence":3j21tz2s said:
SALTBRANCH2":3j21tz2s said:
Dogs and Cows":3j21tz2s said:

Going 100 in a 75 is illegal...... :) And I personally think it should carry a sentence equal to DWI. Endangering others and thier family's so you can arrive a few minutes sooner is selfish and irresponsible.... :2cents:

I made it back, pretty much an uneventful trip. The old Dodge 2500 caught a little more wind than the Titan I hauled up. I think everyone will be happy to know I started out driving the speed limited. At about Wichita I realized I left my cell phone back at my sons home and the whole speed limited thing went out of the window and the right foot slammed down on that throttle. Traffic was about right for running a radar detector and light enough to where you were not ducking and dodging traffic. made it home 3 minutes faster than my trip up. Now to address all the talk of breaking the law. yup I sure did break the speed limit. I will challenge anyone that state that driving 60 ina 75 is legal. Not only is the foolish but it is against the law. I suppose I can go look up the regulation but I do not feel the need. Further more while we are going to get on our soap box and preach safety, perhaps some of you boys running flatbeds on the pickups should learn how to secure your cargo. while I am sure you feel gravity and 3-4" sideboards are securement enough...well that's just sad. You could be cruising down the road, hit a big bump, then some of your stuff bounces off and into a family on the way to dinner. Poor souls were just hungry and you were on your way to/from where ever with stuff not secured. I have seen several pics posted on this forum of trucks and trailers with loads that were no where near secured correctly. Especially on the flatbed trucks, gravity and sideboards...get er done. I am quoting one post but this can be directed to many that post here. Do I like what I see..nope. Do I get on here and whine about about, then try to preach on it...nope. Now as stated before, I don't really care what you think about what speeds I chose to travel at. If I get caught then I will either have hefty ticket to pay or go to jail for a night. I posted the speeds as reference on how the truck performed.
So while we feel the need to equate my speeding to carrying a sentence the same as a DWI, lets be equal about all this. Running subpar equipment that the owner fails to keep up...which maybe that's why they only feel safe to travel at 60mph? Then the boys that subscribe to having gravity as their main source of load securement should fall under the same umbrella.
I do know all my trailers with the exception of one true ranch trailer are maintained and ready to roll at a given notice. Same for my trucks, jump in and load the wagon and go to any state or canada for that matter. All the brakes, breakaways and safety chains. I do a complete service annually on my trailers, repack bearings, inspect shackles/bolts check ffor elongation wear, same on the equalizers, check the bolts on the springs. Adjust the brakes, check wiring, lights , and all couplers for excessive wear. I already mentioned part of my tire maintenance, to elaborate more at 4 years of age, the tires are replaced and put out of service, IE sold as used tires. Same on my trucks and family truck. I do not like changing tires on the road and do my best to prevent that.
Anyways, my phone finally arrived via UPS late of course. Saw a few texts, maybe I can catch up on the wire on the next trip. For those in the market for a truck that rides good, gets pretty good MPG and is not bad on the pocket book, the Titan might be worth looking at. It is not going to compete with the 3/4 and 1 tons on loads by any stretch but it is a very capable truck. this one is our family truck so ride quality was of concern, being able to tow the majority of what I haul is just a big bonus

kenny thomas":1o59rdqi said:
You guys must be much tougher than I am. I have to stop every 200 miles to stretch and pee.

Better for ya anyway. Had a friend die in his 40s of a DVT after a long trip. Now I stop every 2hrs or so and walk a bit. And wiggle feet on long plane trips....

SALTBRANCH2":202d8dnm said:
callmefence":202d8dnm said:
SALTBRANCH2":202d8dnm said:

I made it back, pretty much an uneventful trip. The old Dodge 2500 caught a little more wind than the Titan I hauled up. I think everyone will be happy to know I started out driving the speed limited. At about Wichita I realized I left my cell phone back at my sons home and the whole speed limited thing went out of the window and the right foot slammed down on that throttle. Traffic was about right for running a radar detector and light enough to where you were not ducking and dodging traffic. made it home 3 minutes faster than my trip up. Now to address all the talk of breaking the law. yup I sure did break the speed limit. I will challenge anyone that state that driving 60 ina 75 is legal. Not only is the foolish but it is against the law. I suppose I can go look up the regulation but I do not feel the need. Further more while we are going to get on our soap box and preach safety, perhaps some of you boys running flatbeds on the pickups should learn how to secure your cargo. while I am sure you feel gravity and 3-4" sideboards are securement enough...well that's just sad. You could be cruising down the road, hit a big bump, then some of your stuff bounces off and into a family on the way to dinner. Poor souls were just hungry and you were on your way to/from where ever with stuff not secured. I have seen several pics posted on this forum of trucks and trailers with loads that were no where near secured correctly. Especially on the flatbed trucks, gravity and sideboards...get er done. I am quoting one post but this can be directed to many that post here. Do I like what I see..nope. Do I get on here and whine about about, then try to preach on it...nope. Now as stated before, I don't really care what you think about what speeds I chose to travel at. If I get caught then I will either have hefty ticket to pay or go to jail for a night. I posted the speeds as reference on how the truck performed.
So while we feel the need to equate my speeding to carrying a sentence the same as a DWI, lets be equal about all this. Running subpar equipment that the owner fails to keep up...which maybe that's why they only feel safe to travel at 60mph? Then the boys that subscribe to having gravity as their main source of load securement should fall under the same umbrella.
I do know all my trailers with the exception of one true ranch trailer are maintained and ready to roll at a given notice. Same for my trucks, jump in and load the wagon and go to any state or canada for that matter. All the brakes, breakaways and safety chains. I do a complete service annually on my trailers, repack bearings, inspect shackles/bolts check ffor elongation wear, same on the equalizers, check the bolts on the springs. Adjust the brakes, check wiring, lights , and all couplers for excessive wear. I already mentioned part of my tire maintenance, to elaborate more at 4 years of age, the tires are replaced and put out of service, IE sold as used tires. Same on my trucks and family truck. I do not like changing tires on the road and do my best to prevent that.
Anyways, my phone finally arrived via UPS late of course. Saw a few texts, maybe I can catch up on the wire on the next trip. For those in the market for a truck that rides good, gets pretty good MPG and is not bad on the pocket book, the Titan might be worth looking at. It is not going to compete with the 3/4 and 1 tons on loads by any stretch but it is a very capable truck. this one is our family truck so ride quality was of concern, being able to tow the majority of what I haul is just a big bonus

So how fast do I have to go to get four years out of a set of tires??? ;-)

SALTBRANCH2":9g4c32xj said:
callmefence":9g4c32xj said:
SALTBRANCH2":9g4c32xj said:

I agree with almost everything you posted SB, flatbedded for years, had a plastic lid off an oncoming 1 ton come off and dented the fender on my pickup , bounced upward and broke the windshield, we were in a 65 zone. If I would have been on a motorcycle, it probably would have knocked me off. I don't drive fast anymore, even with the 550/18, but as long as your not weaving in and out of traffic and can read the road like some of us can, no problem. I can almost tell you what another driver is going to do, with a hi rate of accuracy, and I'm sure you can too after all those years on the road. Concentration and undivided attention is what's required at hi speed, anything less is unacceptable.

Some drivers drive fast and respectful and some don't. In this part of the world it's pretty well all one lane in each direction. Nothing infuriates me more that some jerk roaring up behind me (I generally travel a little over the speed limit myself) and parking on my tailgate trying to push me, then waiting until a blind corner or the crest of a hill to risk both our lives before attempting to pass.
I try to be respectful and hang back a respectful distance, and when a good safe place to pass comes along then get after it and get going. My patience for poor road manners is about at an end.

Latest posts