Tire water tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
Does anyone have one? I am preparing to install one that will be shared by four pastures. Any words of wisdom from anyone with experience with them? Thanks in advance. JLP

I installed a large one several years ago. We have them available here just for hauling them away.
A couple of things I have seen that work. First install road fabric under the tank and surrounding area. Set the tank on it and put rock around the tank for about 4ft. This keeps everything from getting muddy around the tank. Also using bigger rock (4") seems to work better as the cows move in slow, drink, and move back out because the larger rock does not feel right to them.
Also I like putting the float away from the tank not in it. Install a culvert or barrell as far away as needed at the same level and put the float in it. Adjust the float until it matches the level you need in the tire. No danger of it freezing or the cows tearing it up. Mine is about 12 feet from the tank on the opposite side of a fence.
The tank serves four paddocks but they have access all the way around the tank. Gates are set about 10ft away and are opened to each paddock as needed.The three closed gates serve as the fence aroung the tank on the three sides not being used. By gates I mean electirc fence gates, I use spring gates.
Clear as mud?

jedstivers":enfmamno said:
I'm going to put the float in the bottom of mine. I like those real well.
Then what happens when a cow or calf gets in the tire and breaks the float? The reason I never put them in the tire.

kenny thomas":gdev4x78 said:
jedstivers":gdev4x78 said:
Then what happens when a cow or calf gets in the tire and breaks the float? The reason I never put them in the tire.[/quot
Don't have that with the tanks I'm using now ( cut 1000 gal. metal tanks in half). On the tires I'm going to try putting a board fence across it to divide it an hope that works.

jedstivers":1f6002ot said:
kenny thomas":1f6002ot said:
jedstivers":1f6002ot said:
Then what happens when a cow or calf gets in the tire and breaks the float? The reason I never put them in the tire.[/quot
Don't have that with the tanks I'm using now ( cut 1000 gal. metal tanks in half). On the tires I'm going to try putting a board fence across it to divide it an hope that works.
Thinking about how your fields are you may have to do it that way. With ours if you get 12ft away the slope allows you to at least half bury the culvert so it will not freeze. 12ft in your fields means .0000001" so it is just not the same. :)

Don't have that with the tanks I'm using now ( cut 1000 gal. metal tanks in half). On the tires I'm going to try putting a board fence across it to divide it an hope that works.[/quote]
Thinking about how your fields are you may have to do it that way. With ours if you get 12ft away the slope allows you to at least half bury the culvert so it will not freeze. 12ft in your fields means .0000001" so it is just not the same. :)[/quote]
I was gonna say that doing that would require the dirt pans and building a hill. :lol:

kenny thomas":2ba1oo7g said:
If you build a hill AC will never go home. :lol2:

:lol: :lol: , I live on the ridge an AC says it not even a bump in the road. :lol: :lol:

I am planning to put the riser and float in the tank and put double 2 x 12's across the tank to keep calves out and divide for the different pastures. The water line will be down 4' the same as all the lines here. But under the tank I plan on a 16-18" tube 8foot in the ground to supply ground heat up to help heat the tank. I agree that with the heavy rock around the tank at least four foot.
I wish I could find a free tire but I haven't yet.
Thanks for all the ideas and responses. JLP

Jalopy":3k7j9t5z said:
I am planning to put the riser and float in the tank and put double 2 x 12's across the tank to keep calves out and divide for the different pastures. The water line will be down 4' the same as all the lines here. But under the tank I plan on a 16-18" tube 8foot in the ground to supply ground heat up to help heat the tank. I agree that with the heavy rock around the tank at least four foot.
I wish I could find a free tire but I haven't yet.
Thanks for all the ideas and responses. JLP
I'm going to use combine tires, they aren't as big as the 12 foot ones but they are FREE. I know Iowa should have plenty of them.

Are they strong enough? From reading the hype of the tire tyank sales people they explain that they are to flexible to keep cattle from pushing them in. I do know that inverted tractor tires get mangled by cows after a few years when I feed ground hay in them. Iam still seeking information as I don;t want to redo this very often. Thanks for the input. JLP

I have a couple of 6 foot tires. I don't have a float hook up, don't know if I could stop that from freezing in my climate and also where I am using them there is no pressurized water line or power. I instead use surface water from a pond, piping water underground to the tire in the pasture. I have a submersible pump running on a 12 volt battery charged by a solar panel and the pumps are turned on with a timer at set intervals during the day.

kenny thomas":1awdbp5a said:
jedstivers":1awdbp5a said:
Then what happens when a cow or calf gets in the tire and breaks the float? The reason I never put them in the tire.

Put a couple of boards/pipe rail/whatever across the top of the tank to protect the float. We have 2 tire tanks and the only thing that screws with them is the freakin' damn horses.

Latest posts