Tipping

Help Support CattleToday:

One time at the sale barn I gave a $20 to the guy who lined up the cattle coming into the ring. My calves came through the ring real early in the sale which was worth a whole lot more than $20.

Yeah your probably right Butch but he is a young guy just getting started and is very anal about everything being just right.

I learned a long time ago that if you tip someone that is not used to getting a tip, that someone will remember you and do you good for as long as he is employed. Works best with people in the service trade. When I sold my ranch and moved the herd to a new place, I hired a man with a truck and trailer to help me load and move the animals. Took three trips for both of us. He charged me by the mile even with all the extra work. I tipped him about $120. To this day he remembers my name and when I see him he comes over to shake my hand. He is my go to guy if something happens and the wife has to hire someone to disperse the herd. Probably the best money I have spent.

TN Cattle Man":1dikt1ie said:
Shoot... when I read the title to this post, considering it is on a cattle site, I thought the subject would include teenagers, alcohol, a neighbors pasture, and some cows... :help:

Same with me, kind of disappointed.

melking":u6ije2l6 said:
TN Cattle Man":u6ije2l6 said:
Shoot... when I read the title to this post, considering it is on a cattle site, I thought
the subject would include teenagers, alcohol, a neighbors pasture, and some cows... :help:
Same with me, kind of disappointed.
And I thought it would be about how to cut horns diagonally to make them grow downward yet away from the face. :)

Dave":2ph7gpb2 said:
One time at the sale barn I gave a $20 to the guy who lined up the cattle coming into the ring. My calves came through the ring real early in the sale which was worth a whole lot more than $20.
I used to push, shove, carry, etc. the baby calves to the ring.
Hot, very hot, dirty, very dirty , hard, very hard work.
I will not say how much I was paid as the younger folks would not believe it. In fact they would laugh. But you do what you gotta do.
Had never heard of and never got a tip.

Very good health benefits. Doesn't take long to sweat the impurities out of your body if heat stroke doesn't get you first.

ddd75":1g5rrqa5 said:
i did the same thing a few months back.. took a tractor tire in.. needed it done quick.. told the guy and gave him a 20..

you should of seen his face.. I came back 45 minutes later and it was sittin out front and he came running right out.. SIR SIR!!!
lol.. i know how to deal with people now :lol2:
Around here patching a tractor tire is $100 just to roll it into the shop, if it has calcium, there's another $1/gal to transfer, and with any luck they'll pinch the tube putting it back together.

tire shops here will make you go broke, they don't get tips.

If someone goes out of their way to sneak me in unscheduled, etc that deserves something. last week I was out of town when my throttle linkage broke.. with some wire I limped it to a truck shop and they welded it up for me and said "have a nice day, pay it forward"

Nesikep":2zrm36ba said:
ddd75":2zrm36ba said:
i did the same thing a few months back.. took a tractor tire in.. needed it done quick.. told the guy and gave him a 20..

you should of seen his face.. I came back 45 minutes later and it was sittin out front and he came running right out.. SIR SIR!!!
lol.. i know how to deal with people now :lol2:
Around here patching a tractor tire is $100 just to roll it into the shop, if it has calcium, there's another $1/gal to transfer, and with any luck they'll pinch the tube putting it back together.

tire shops here will make you go broke, they don't get tip"

That's my issue with most things. The price is already high enough in a service that I have to mortgage the farm to pay for it, and then one is expected to tip on top of that? I don't usually pay for something and feel like I robbed them.

I finally found a good tire machine last year for $500... sure beats doing it with crowbars.. tires swapped in about 5 minutes, no sweating and cursing, and my back thanks me for it too.. do them for the neighbors too if they need it, paid in beer usually.

Latest posts