Tipping aside from restaurants

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":yupyzsbe said:
greybeard":yupyzsbe said:
This is very common overseas. Bars, restaurants, even hotels. I first saw it in Japan, then the Philippines, Jamaica, Thailand, and S. Korea. Upscale or dive, every restroom had someone there to hand you something or trey to sell you something. They sold combs, condoms, cigars and cigarettes, lighters, matches, had lighter fluid for your Z ippo, flints..along with the foo juice smelly lotions. Most in the hotels, handed you a cloth towel, not paper towels, and of course expected a tip. Most places, they could also have you a girl in about 10 minutes, but I stayed away from that offer.
Most of the time they were sleeping in a chair when you walked in and only came to life when you turned the water on.
Never talked to a GI yet that didn't say "no" to the girls. :lol: :lol2:

I never said I said no to the girls..just a little leery of any company that might be acquired via a bathroom attendant.
I also never said yes to any while actually on Vietnamese soil. Hookers were always risky, but Vietnamese brothels were beyond risky...downright dangerous even without considering vd.. You never knew who was actually on whose side.

Taiwan, S. Korea, PI, Hong Kong, Singapore..different story. (It was part of my misspent youth..no sense lying about it)

I've gone above and beyond in my job (service tech) countless times, often saving the customer 1000's of dollars, never got a tip for anything, and this is going above and beyond what is usually required of an employee.. like getting a 2 day job done in a day because they need the machine, and even with the OT pay, it's cheaper because there's a day less of live-out expenses, car rentals, hotels, etc. I've done 26 hour shifts to get things running on time, been stuck at airports for *&^^ ever, had my tools lost (and airline insurance only covers to $400)... So I'm not a big tipper for someone who asks me what I want, goes to the kitchen and comes back with some food, especially if they're only marginally sociable.

Nesikep":3pji8m4n said:
I've gone above and beyond in my job (service tech) countless times, often saving the customer 1000's of dollars, never got a tip for anything, and this is going above and beyond what is usually required of an employee.. like getting a 2 day job done in a day because they need the machine, and even with the OT pay, it's cheaper because there's a day less of live-out expenses, car rentals, hotels, etc. I've done 26 hour shifts to get things running on time, been stuck at airports for *&^^ ever, had my tools lost (and airline insurance only covers to $400)... So I'm not a big tipper for someone who asks me what I want, goes to the kitchen and comes back with some food, especially if they're only marginally sociable.

For the most part, tipping is just something that doesn't cross my mind. I'm not arguing it or trying to be rude if I don't, but aside from restaurants, I didn't grow up in a tipping culture, so it's not something i think of. I just feel like a person tells me what they charge and I pay it; that is what seems normal to me.

I know that waiters and waitresses get paid a low salary and count on tips as part of their income. I guess that's just how the restaurant business works, but what's the reason for tipping other people? I usually have a light stroke when i get most bills anyway, and they want a tip to boot?

A lot of times those guys are responsible for keeping the room clean, and work for tips only.

You aren't tipping him for the soap and towel. You are tipping him to keep the floors mopped up when things go astray, and maybe a few other things that polite people don't discuss.

We went deep sea fishing out of Corpus with a bunch of Yankee Engineers I worked with. There were 4 deck hands. There were two captains. There was a cook. 3 day trip. They "passed the hat" on the third day and I put in $50. It turned out the entire tip for over 20 people came to just over $200 . That was terrible. The next time out many of us took out wives. I got a pocket full of $5 bills before we went out. The deck hand helped my wife land a fish and I stayed the heck out of the way. Handed him $5 when he was done. The other deck hand on that shift was watching. Next thing you know he's kissing her tail. I hand him $5. People were sleeping and they would rig up and then yell, "Where's your wife?" and I'd drag her over. They'd put her in the chair and coach her all thru it. Between the 2 days shift deck hands and the 2 night shift deck hands, I must have gone thru $150 over the 3 days. It was worth every penny to me. My wife had an awesome trip and we came home with limits in just about everything.

NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn't charge you; do you tip them? For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently. He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself. I asked what I owed him and he said, "no charge." I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway. What about other similar situations?

herofan":1lwf8c5l said:
NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn't charge you; do you tip them? For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently. He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself. I asked what I owed him and he said, "no charge." I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway. What about other similar situations?

I recently repaired a fence that I'd built just a few months ago for a neighbor. A fat calf, very athletic fat calf, escaped the sort pen when we were loading (I was helping sort and load) a trailer to head to the yards. About a week later, I was in TX at Fence's place, and a couple of my buddies went to rope the fat out of the cow pasture she'd let herself into. Long story short, the fence stopped her a few times, but the last time she hit it, she waded through it. My customer was impressed with how well the fence took it, and never did ask me to fix it. We back our work unconditionally for the first year, so his fence is fixed. No charge, even though it wasn't anything I had done wrong....except letting fatty McGee past me at warp speed. He tipped me a 30 pack of Busch Light, which means more than cash, since my old customer visited and drank a few with me. Like I said, it's nice to be appreciated. Appreciation doesn't have to cost money.

The ladies were intrested in how the Gripples worked to make a quick repair. :lol2:

Farm Fence Solutions":xj8nz9n7 said:
herofan":xj8nz9n7 said:
NEW question:

I recently repaired a fence that I'd built just a few months ago for a neighbor. A fat calf, very athletic fat calf, escaped the sort pen when we were loading (I was helping sort and load) a trailer to head to the yards. About a week later, I was in TX at Fence's place, and a couple of my buddies went to rope the fat out of the cow pasture she'd let herself into. Long story short, the fence stopped her a few times, but the last time she hit it, she waded through it. My customer was impressed with how well the fence took it, and never did ask me to fix it. We back our work unconditionally for the first year, so his fence is fixed. No charge, even though it wasn't anything I had done wrong....except letting fatty McGee past me at warp speed. He tipped me a 30 pack of Busch Light, which means more than cash, since my old customer visited and drank a few with me. Like I said, it's nice to be appreciated. Appreciation doesn't have to cost money.

The ladies were intrested in how the Gripples worked to make a quick repair. :lol2:
The Gripple rep at the Farm show was young and not very knowledgeable, he was in the stay tuff booth.

herofan":3rynpuem said:
NEW question:

I shipped a pot of bred heifers out of state. The vet preg checked and he brought one of the gals from the office to write down bangs tag numbers needed for the out of state shipment. During all this I over heard that it was her day off. Two days later I knew she would be at the sale with the vet. I had $50 to give her. She said the vet office had paid her and I didn't need to give her anything. I Knew she was newly married so I told her to take her husband to dinner on me.

backhoeboogie":3uovjobj said:
We went deep sea fishing out of Corpus with a bunch of Yankee Engineers I worked with. There were 4 deck hands. There were two captains. There was a cook. 3 day trip. They "passed the hat" on the third day and I put in $50. It turned out the entire tip for over 20 people came to just over $200 . That was terrible. The next time out many of us took out wives. I got a pocket full of $5 bills before we went out. The deck hand helped my wife land a fish and I stayed the heck out of the way. Handed him $5 when he was done. The other deck hand on that shift was watching. Next thing you know he's kissing her tail. I hand him $5. People were sleeping and they would rig up and then yell, "Where's your wife?" and I'd drag her over. They'd put her in the chair and coach her all thru it. Between the 2 days shift deck hands and the 2 night shift deck hands, I must have gone thru $150 over the 3 days. It was worth every penny to me. My wife had an awesome trip and we came home with limits in just about everything.

Were they getting paid a salary for the trip, or working strictly on tips?

herofan":1wcsunju said:
NEW question:

When my vet says "no charge" I don't tip but I generally drop by with homemade cookies or candy. This is a small town and a lot of people just go out of their way to do something above & beyond. If it's additional work for a job they're being paid for I make sure their boss knows how much we appreciate it and reciprocate by inviting them to fish in our watershed lake (or hunt sheds, take as many rocks as they want for landscaping, whatever) and if it's a neighbor doing something out of the kindness of their heart I return the favor by helping work cattle, pick up their mail if they're out of town (again, whatever). There are some situations where it just feels more appropriate to tip but it's generally if I don't know them well enough to engage on a more personal level. BTW I always tip my hairdresser a minimum of 20%, not including her Christmas "bonus". She's totally worth it!

herofan":33t0a4ao said:
NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn't charge you; do you tip them?
For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently.
He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself.
I asked what I owed him and he said, "no charge." I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway.
What about other similar situations?
No.
Tipping etiquette never tip Drs, judges, law enforcement, government workers, business owners, plumbers, installers, repairmen, technicians, Fed Ex, UPS or USPS delivery person.

Always tip personal service providers (bell hops, doormen, baristas, bartenders, waiters and waitresses) entertainers (musicians, clowns ect) flower and food delivery, delivery people that enter home with item and clergy performing
wedding ceremonies.

True Grit Farms":320cocsm said:
Farm Fence Solutions":320cocsm said:
herofan":320cocsm said:
NEW question:

The Gripple rep at the Farm show was young and not very knowledgeable, he was in the stay tuff booth.

You'll have that kind of thing once in a while. When I agreed to take on my deal with Tornado, part of it was that I'm not allowed to quit building fence. Nobody likes a salesman that doesn't understand his product or customers.

Son of Butch":36wtew9d said:
herofan":36wtew9d said:
NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn't charge you; do you tip them?
For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently.
He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself.
I asked what I owed him and he said, "no charge." I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway.
What about other similar situations?
No.
Tipping etiquette never tip Drs, judges, law enforcement, government workers, business owners, plumbers, installers, repairmen, technicians, Fed Ex, UPS or USPS delivery person.

Always tip personal service providers (bell hops, doormen, baristas, bartenders, waiters and waitresses) entertainers (musicians, clowns ect) flower and food delivery, delivery people that enter home with item and clergy performing
wedding ceremonies.
This is the way it is supposed to be as far as the etiquette I was taught.
You usually don't tip the owner or boss but might those working under him/her.
Service providers ok but not always necessary. Just depends.

herofan":18itjw64 said:
backhoeboogie":18itjw64 said:

Were they getting paid a salary for the trip, or working strictly on tips?

I cannot honestly answer. The captain made it clear that much of the deck hand compensation came from tips. That was in a casual chat while I was taking a break and eating. He could have been feeding me a line as far as I know. But he seemed straight forward. I never asked the deck hands what their salary consisted of. That's not something I would do.

Last charter I was on the captain told me up front the deckhand only worked for tips and wasn't paid a trip fee or anything. Every other charter I've been on no one ever mentioned that was their base salary. In this case the deckhand got 15% of the trip costs and the captain didn't get any because he and I had a contract.

This has been an eye opener. I don't recall being taught anything about tipping when I was growing up. I don't think we ever went to the type of restaurant where one tips when I was a kid, and tipping certainly was never mentioned anywhere else. I saw tipping in movies, but i thought it was just something big-shots did. I guess I was just a "poor boy" and apparently still am.

Latest posts