Tipping aside from restaurants

Help Support CattleToday:

Was just reminded of the movie Opportunity Knocks.
Don't believe in being much of a tipper neither unless waitress or whoever goes above and beyond and truly deserve it.

herofan":3lasgna6 said:
This has been an eye opener. I don't recall being taught anything about tipping when I was growing up. I don't think we ever went to the type of restaurant where one tips when I was a kid, and tipping certainly was never mentioned anywhere else. I saw tipping in movies, but i thought it was just something big-shots did. I guess I was just a "poor boy" and apparently still am.
"Poor" is subjective, as is "rich". You may not have been exposed to situations where tipping was common when you were growing up and may not frequent them now (quite possibly by choice) but that absolutely does not define your status (which is highly overrated anyway).

I tip:
Pizza delivery folks. If I'm too lazy to cook and too lazy to pick it up, then I believe in throwing the person 5 bucks for delivering my food.

My garbage man. At Christmas time, I greet him with a $50.00 bill. There is pretty much nothing he won't take if I put it out by the toter. I appreciate that.

My mechanic. I always bring Chris a case of Miller Lite when my vehicle is ready. He takes great care to get my vehicle back quickly and correctly.

My barber. My schedule is screwy. She squeezes me in short notice and knows exactly how I like it cut.

Waitresses, baggage folks, etc. My mother waited tables and I have vivid recollection of how tired she was when she got home and would tell stories about folks stiffing her, or leaving petty change. If you can afford to eat out, then you can afford to leave a tip to the folks handling your food and cleaning your mess when you're done.

As far as not tipping plumbers, or tradesman.... I received tips regularly while employed as a plumber. Sometimes cash, sometimes lunch. You ALWAYS remember the people that treat you well. If I have folks work for me, which is rare, but when I do, I buy them lunch and the hired hands get $20's.

Son of Butch":18af1070 said:
herofan":18af1070 said:
NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn't charge you; do you tip them?
For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently.
He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself.
I asked what I owed him and he said, "no charge." I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway.
What about other similar situations?
No.
Tipping etiquette never tip Drs, judges, law enforcement, government workers, business owners, plumbers, installers, repairmen, technicians, Fed Ex, UPS or USPS delivery person.

Always tip personal service providers (bell hops, doormen, baristas, bartenders, waiters and waitresses) entertainers (musicians, clowns ect) flower and food delivery, delivery people that enter home with item and clergy performing
wedding ceremonies.
Must be a Frostbite Falls tradition.

I know this is about tipping other than in restaurants, but I just wanted to say that wait staff depend on tips. In almost all cases the wages they receive from the restaurant are way below minimum wage. Because of that, a tip should just be considered part of the cost of eating out, not a reward for exceptional service. I know it would be simpler if the restaurant management just paid them what they're worth instead, but that's not how the real world is.

Anyone that isn't willing to tip 15% should just stay at home, unless the service was less than acceptable, and if that's the case you should let the person know how they need to improve so they won't just be resentful and think you're a cheapskate (I'd use a stronger word but it wouldn't go through). I tip between 15% and 20% for adequate service, and more if it was above and beyond.

Rafter S":3ozy50hz said:
I know this is about tipping other than in restaurants, but I just wanted to say that wait staff depend on tips. In almost all cases the wages they receive from the restaurant are way below minimum wage. Because of that, a tip should just be considered part of the cost of eating out, not a reward for exceptional service. I know it would be simpler if the restaurant management just paid them what they're worth instead, but that's not how the real world is.

Anyone that isn't willing to tip 15% should just stay at home, unless the service was less than acceptable, and if that's the case you should let the person know how they need to improve so they won't just be resentful and think you're a cheapskate (I'd use a stronger word but it wouldn't go through). I tip between 15% and 20% for adequate service, and more if it was above and beyond.

I tip almost everywhere. Especially, nice looking women.

I even tip the Senior Greeter at Wal-Mart and leave a dollar at self-check.

I look at it like this. I have all I need. I know some of these people need it more than I do. I tip waiters 20 percent. Give the lady who cuts my hair $5. Etc etc

Bright Raven you said, " Give the lady who cuts my hair $5."

I gave the lady who cuts my hair a new car, then my checking account, then savings, then retirement, even the house. But she does a good cut! Yea, and last year a new zero turn! :nod:

Bright Raven":1ffujvjq said:
Next thing you know, there will be someone at the urinal to shake it for you. :hide:

I think I would tip for that, or call the police depending on the situation.

But seriously, I've ran into this many times. I just say no thank you. As long as your not taking anything, you shouldn't leave anything. If they hand me paper towels after I wash my hands, I just smile, say thank you and walk out.

Anyone who gets a low salary for a job gets a tip for a good job, anyone who works for tips alone, then it just depends on how I feel, and usually I don't feel like it, and they should expect that because they are usually over imposing like the bathroom attendant or the guy who washes your windshield at a stop light. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I really don't care if they expect or not.

Bright Raven":2fg2ri59 said:
I tip almost everywhere. Especially, nice looking women.

I even tip the Senior Greeter at Wal-Mart and leave a dollar at self-check.

I look at it like this. I have all I need. I know some of these people need it more than I do. I tip waiters 20 percent. Give the lady who cuts my hair $5. Etc etc

I overpay my taxes just so I can brag about getting a tax refund. :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

Farm Fence Solutions":2m4wnu10 said:
It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.

Just bringing this back to the top....just in case any newcomers to the thread missed it. ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":2dkv2phd said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2dkv2phd said:
It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.

Just bringing this back to the top....just in case any newcomers to the thread missed it. ;-)
2nd horse, third race......to place

Latest posts