Tipping

Help Support CattleToday:

Nah....she has access to the bank account..... :lol:

In your case I'd think the "porter" would be on your payroll, but then it would probably cost more than a taxie ride for him to not be stretching fence....

Rarely needed a ride from a mechanic's shop, but when I did get a ride I didn't tip. Didn't cross my mind.

Never in that situation since they are hourly employees. Your employees may have gotten a tip along the way at some point, but probably not often.

1982vett":uizsw5a3 said:
Rarely needed a ride from a mechanic's shop, but when I did get a ride I didn't tip. Didn't cross my mind.

That's how I am. I'm sure there are lots of situations where people tip, but the only time it ever crosses my mind is at a restaurant; otherwise, tipping never enters my mind. I usually have to take off a leg to pay for services anyway, so tipping doesn't cross my mind.

callmefence":12rlz128 said:
Do you tip a porter. The guy who gives you a ride home while your trucks being worked on.....how much?

Yes. $5. It is totally up to you. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

I tipped the tire guy $20 at Sam's yesterday, he did a good job on my wife's car. Hard working people appreciate a little extra. I also enjoy buying lunch for the cops or armed services personal. I tell my wife at this stage what's a few bucks.

True Grit Farms":1jxg07hd said:
I tipped the tire guy $20 at Sam's yesterday, he did a good job on my wife's car. Hard working people appreciate a little extra. I also enjoy buying lunch for the cops or armed services personal. I tell my wife at this stage what's a few bucks.

When did you start carrying a wallet? :hide: :lol2:

I don't know about porters. I guess my advice would be or would have been to do whatever you feel is right. It's your money. Tip if you feel it's warranted but don't do it out of obligation. When I give anyone anything I do it bc I feel they earned, deserve, or need it. Tips to me are kinda like pay raises. You better not ask for it or you ain't getting it.

As far as extra tipping, around Christmas time every year I tip several good waitresses $100. Sometimes they are young, sometimes they're old. Some are white and some are black. Sometimes it's a restaurant but more often it's at the Huddle House. But it's always the waitress with the friendliest personality and that has a smile on her face. Everyone can use a little around Christmas. I promise you that I get way more out of that smile than by keeping that Ben Franklin in my pocket. If I had plenty of money I think I could help a lot of people.

I never thought about it. But it is over 30 miles each way to the nearest repair shop. I guess if he gave me a ride home I should tip him very well so he will remember to come back and get me when the work is done.

The last guy I tipped excluding restaurants was my tire guy and he was the owner. I tip when I don't feel that they charged me enough. As for tipping a porter. He is doing what hes paid to do and doesn't have much of a chance to go beyond the call of duty.

Tire shop guy last week fixed a flat on my cattle trailer. Took it off and patched the inside. He charged $12, I gave him $20. Good work and timely work seems rare now days.

Shoot... when I read the title to this post, considering it is on a cattle site, I thought the subject would include teenagers, alcohol, a neighbors pasture, and some cows... :help:

True Grit Farms":2uk3e6af said:

i did the same thing a few months back.. took a tractor tire in.. needed it done quick.. told the guy and gave him a 20..

you should of seen his face.. I came back 45 minutes later and it was sittin out front and he came running right out.. SIR SIR!!!

lol.. i know how to deal with people now :lol2:

A guy came out and changed the 18.4-34 tires on the back of my tractor last year. One went bad (radials big knot) and the other one was in pretty good shape as it only had about 400 hrs on it. I went back with bias tires as those radials are unreal high as I could bout buy 2 bias for one of those. As he was leaving I helped him load the good tire in the back of his truck. It sure put a big smile on his face as he was a hard worker and took him less than two hours to change them out as pumping the fluid in and out is what took the time. Those radials cost around $1400 bucks a piece new.

greybeard":1o3ykqwa said:
Ryder":1o3ykqwa said:
Just how is 'porter' defined?
I thought the word could apply to several types and situations of workers.
A town about 15 miles south of here whose only 'claim to fame' is a Hofbrau steakhouse.

or......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksZ4Qu18kc

Didn't know any of those steakhouses were left.
Or maybe this Porter:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/jLnhghhwSm4[/youtube]

I think there's still another one left in one of the tourist trap towns near Austin or San Antonio.
I go to the one in Porter because it's never crowded (a harbinger of things to come? ) and usually on my home after a few days of eating hospital food in kingwood.

Latest posts